Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Trolling Motor

During the WCFFE I picked up a motor mount bracket for my Hyde pro series low profile and now I'm looking to buy the motor itself so I can putt around lakes.

I've done plenty of research on motors and batteries but the one thing that I'm still struggling with is the shaft length. Can anybody that's running a trolling motor on a drift boat provide any guidance?

Thanks,

PMD

Guest JBear

We run a 35lb off the back of a 16' low profile... It pushes alright, but its not enough to get you anywhere. Almost fast enough. But I would go with the biggest motor you can get away with in a 12 volt, the 24volt really doesn't make up a ton of speed because you do have to haul an extra 20-50lb battery. 42" is the better shaft length from minnkota than the 36, but we're keeping an eye out this year for a 55lb. For the bigger lakes where gas motors aren't aloud (maligne) its good for getting around, but if you're looking to put around on smaller pothole lakes , a 35lb will do.

Hopefully that answers a few of your questions.

I have a 42" 55lb Minkota on my 14.5" Skiff I've spun the head and the prop should be a foot under water. My boat has a crazy amount of rocker so I was concerned that the motor would fit. but it will work now that I have it on the boat.

I think the longest shaft and most thrust availible is the way to go.

I run a 55lb cheap bass pro electric motor on my Hyde and it moves it pretty good even in heavy winds. I also bought the Hyde motor mount but I've never used it. If I was going to hook up a gas motor I think I would but just using an electric motor I don't think its worth the trouble.

Be careful if you are venturing out onto big water. Drift boats and waves are not a good combination. I got caught in a storm out at crawling valley last year and it was pretty nerve racking trying to get back to shore through the white caps.

I run a 55lb cheap bass pro electric motor on my Hyde and it moves it pretty good even in heavy winds. I also bought the Hyde motor mount but I've never used it. If I was going to hook up a gas motor I think I would but just using an electric motor I don't think its worth the trouble.

Be careful if you are venturing out onto big water. Drift boats and waves are not a good combination. I got caught in a storm out at crawling valley last year and it was pretty nerve racking trying to get back to shore through the white caps.

The wind really gets up on that lake too. I had waves crashing over the back of my lund. My 55lb couldn't get my going anywhere in the wind. Thankfully i had the 15hp.