Fly Fusion Forums

Nz Brown Movie

Good flick, it really gives you the idea that fly fishing films are headed into new uncharted waters of bigger budgets and professional levels of cinematography. I was stunned with the shots of the camera crane.... I guess your buddy following you with a handycam just doesn't cut it any more

we're on the virtual cusp of a major improvement in fishing/outdoors media.

Drew you're lucky, no iceshelfs to commit suiced on eh? Are you lucky enough to take your dog?

I'm leery of saying some of this... I trust one or two will understand...

But is it improvement if it gets away from what fly fishing is about and is not authentic to what it is hyping? Is it improvement if the hype, quality of film, and editing causes new anglers or the inexperienced to expect sizes/#s, or the experience to be fast paced? Is that authentic? When was the last time you carried a slider, jib, crane, etc to the back country or used a remote control quad-copter to fly your camera over a river? Is it the back country if you are simply pulling off the road and walking 20m into the bush to stage a shot? Is it authentic to fly fishing, to even a destination, if you pick the peak of a mouse year to film such a movie to show what NZ is, then wonder why tourist anglers are flocking to waters and they wind up disenchanted at their lack of success or the fact that they have arrived to find skinny spring/post flood season fish and the next mouse year is 4 or 5 years down the road but nobody told you otherwise? Is that improvement? You can try to separate film/editing quality, but you cannot escape those types of considerations. That's the biggest consideration of films moving forward. Content and film quality is a major concern, but - unlike the ski movie world (save for mtn goat wintering habitat considerations and the like) - we have another edge to our sword that can't be ignored. And man, I wish I had a fraction the talent these folks have in the edit room. :)

Now, that all said, that film is amazing to watch. :) But NZ is much better in person than you'll ever be impressed upon by film. :)

I'm leery of saying some of this... I trust one or two will understand...

But is it improvement if it gets away from what fly fishing is about and is not authentic to what it is hyping? Is it improvement if the hype, quality of film, and editing causes new anglers or the inexperienced to expect sizes/#s, or the experience to be fast paced? Is that authentic? When was the last time you carried a slider, jib, crane, etc to the back country or used a remote control quad-copter to fly your camera over a river? Is it the back country if you are simply pulling off the road and walking 20m into the bush to stage a shot? Is it authentic to fly fishing, to even a destination, if you pick the peak of a mouse year to film such a movie to show what NZ is, then wonder why tourist anglers are flocking to waters and they wind up disenchanted at their lack of success or the fact that they have arrived to find skinny spring/post flood season fish and the next mouse year is 4 or 5 years down the road but nobody told you otherwise? Is that improvement? You can try to separate film/editing quality, but you cannot escape those types of considerations. That's the biggest consideration of films moving forward. Content and film quality is a major concern, but - unlike the ski movie world (save for mtn goat wintering habitat considerations and the like) - we have another edge to our sword that can't be ignored. And man, I wish I had a fraction the talent these folks have in the edit room. :)

Now, that all said, that film is amazing to watch. :) But NZ is much better in person than you'll ever be impressed upon by film. :)

Dave,

I totally understand what you are saying and your insite on flyfishing NZ is backed by truth & experience that i think is probably unrivaled in our neck of the woods. My comment was on the production quality alone. I questioned several considerations like you have, prior to posting. I think all of your points are valid. As soon as I saw the crane I thought "you're not walking to far from the van with that thing".

I'm not sure it will be good but the demise will be brought to us in 1920x1080 60fps HD.... and I hear rumours that some fishing films might get dropped in 3D. :wave_smile: