Fly Fusion Forums

Riser On The Bow...march???

rcd

could not wait any longer for spring. I went to try nymphing the lower bow after work today

no luck. noticed a riser - i thought i might be wrong - met another fly fisherman who also saw one

after few casts a slow rise to bite my indicator....?????

thought fish would not rise at this time of the year - excuse me guys if this normal i am a beginner and looking to learn...any input?

i had a few take a swack at my indicator this winter also. its quite funny when they do that, and i have to laugh at myself because i try to set the hook everytime...love them ninja reflexes

maybe we should start putting hooks on our indi's

Guest Grinr

Can someone explain why is it that I've seen tons of midges along the shorelines this week but not a single riser?Is all or most of the feeding(any?)taking place subsurface,and would midge nymph/pupa patterns be effective this time of year?Please forgive my ignorance as being relatively new to the area this winter flyfishing bizness is all new to me and my usual early spring/cold water/lethargic fish/east coast tactics aren't producing much in the way of results?The Bow has been kicking my ass this week with only one 18" Brown to show for 5 days/15hrs(?) of angling effort,mostly nymphing stonefly patterns,buggers,SJWs and a variety of small beadheads through the deepest,slowest water I can find.....grrrrrrrrr......

Tons of risers on Sunday, of course I didn't have any of my dry boxes with me...

The fish that are hitting your indi's are most likely whities...

P

Wondering why you think that they are white fish?

Can someone explain why is it that I've seen tons of midges along the shorelines this week but not a single riser?Is all or most of the feeding(any?)taking place subsurface,and would midge nymph/pupa patterns be effective this time of year?Please forgive my ignorance as being relatively new to the area this winter flyfishing bizness is all new to me and my usual early spring/cold water/lethargic fish/east coast tactics aren't producing much in the way of results?The Bow has been kicking my ass this week with only one 18" Brown to show for 5 days/15hrs(?) of angling effort,mostly nymphing stonefly patterns,buggers,SJWs and a variety of small beadheads through the deepest,slowest water I can find.....grrrrrrrrr......

Did you fish upstream or down? Looking at midges that were on the surface over water you had just recently walked through and fished? If yes, good possibility any fish that may have rose to them took off...

You can pick fish up on the dry every month of the year. It's more common in the warmer months but if a strange weather pattern produces high temps that are right for big hatchs the fish will start to look up. I picked up a number of browns on the dry on Jan 3 this year.

The fish are always feeding on something. They will just turn to what is most abundant / easiest to chow... if your seeing lots of adult midges along the shoreline, chances are there is gunna double that in larvae and pupae sub-surface.

Subsurface midge patterns are good throughout the winter months in a variety of colours that match the naturals. You can even try throwing on a griffiths gnat into you nymphing set up.

Getting to now the Bow can be tricky, changes everyday, it's all about finding out what is working that day and differs from location to location.

Fish aren't always gunna be super deep and super slow this time o' year. If it is a warmer afternoon... trying fishing a little faster water with less depth as the trouts metabolism will increase with increased water temps.

Guest Grinr
Did you fish upstream or down? Looking at midges that were on the surface over water you had just recently walked through and fished? If yes, good possibility any fish that may have rose to them took off...

Ummmmm....not sure I follow you here?Generally speaking,I'm working upstream thru most stretches.Regardless,most of the midges I'm seeing are in extremely shallow,slackwater,right on the shoreline while I'm walking the banks,not wading or spooking fish?That said,I haven't seen a single fish rise for them,shallow,deep or anywhere in between?

FWIW,most of my fishing has been from mid-afternoon onward when there are already swarms of midges congregated tight to shore,usually in just inches of slackwater,where if there were indeed any trout bold enough to venture so shallow,surely I would easily see them.Am I just simply missing the emergence period earlier in the day when trout may be taking them??

Ummmmm....not sure I follow you here?Generally speaking,I'm working upstream thru most stretches.Regardless,most of the midges I'm seeing are in extremely shallow,slackwater,right on the shoreline while I'm walking the banks,not wading or spooking fish?That said,I haven't seen a single fish rise for them,shallow,deep or anywhere in between?

FWIW,most of my fishing has been from mid-afternoon onward when there are already swarms of midges congregated tight to shore,usually in just inches of slackwater,where if there were indeed any trout bold enough to venture so shallow,surely I would easily see them.Am I just simply missing the emergence period earlier in the day when trout may be taking them??

Sounds like you are approaching the water correctly...from my experience most people will walk right into those shallow, slack water areas without observing it first...often times fish like to slide into those spots to feed. Fish can hold on extremely skinny water and often those fish are of the larger variety!

Guest Grinr
Does anyone know what the clarity is like? Thinking of heading out today!

It was fairly stained Sunday from the warm weather and runoff last week but alot better clarity With the colder weather since Monday?I suspect it might be a bit better in the mornings and deteriorate with the snow melt and warmer weather throughout the day,or maybe just stay kinda dirty now based on the warm forecast?

Either way,I'm heading down to the river in a few minutes to enjoy the 14C forecast(?) and maybe hook something other than rock snot for a change.....I guess I'm just a sucker for punishment?

It was fairly stained Sunday from the warm weather and runoff last week but alot better clarity since Monday?I suspect it might be a bit better in the mornings and deteriorate with the snow melt and warmer weather throughout the day,or maybe just stay kinda dirty now based on the warm forecast?

Either way,I'm heading down to the river in a few minutes to enjoy the 14C forecast(?) and maybe hook something other than rock snot for a change.....i guess I'm just a sucker for punishment?

Thanks for the reply, just wanted an idea before I head out. Cant pass up this beauty weather, definetly better then sitting on the couch.

Guest Grinr
Thanks for the reply, just wanted an idea before I head out. Cant pass up this beauty weather, definetly better then sitting on the couch.

I hear ya,a bad day fishn is still better than a good day at work. ;)