Fly Fusion Forums

Kananaskis Lakes - Another Quality Fishery

On a separate, yet still-related note, is there any update or new info in regards to Trans Alta and the use of the entire K-lake/river system for power generation?

The last piece for this fishery is the cherry-on-top of retiring the power generation plants that wreak havoc with the littoral zones of the lakes and the screw the river.

The potential is still untapped until the waters levels - both still and flowing - are stabilized. Not to mention, the shoreline areas are - aesthetically speaking - downright ugly.

Imagine the fishing then! And heck, if we're going to screw with the system, why not fertilize with phosphates/nitrogen and really kick up the aquatic invertebrate habitat?

Take it to the next level folks; just an idea.

Was just wondering,

Smitty

...I think Jim Stelfox(SRD) is still working on this. It is a shame though. The damage to the aquatic invertebrates there is unreal. I remember seeing dead shrimp and minnows along the shorlines on the LKL when the water levels are at their lowest in May. If anything comes up I will sure to keep you guys informed. I think if we did get a change you would probably see a 25 cent increase in your power bill. It's hard to keep everyone happy on this situation.