Fly Fusion Forums

Kananaskis Lakes - Another Quality Fishery

Just saw the new regulations for 2012 and the regulations have been changed to now allow only one fish over 50cm to be kept. Great work to all those on the forum who got behind this initiative and played a role in making it happen, and thanks in particular to Dekkard and Beedhead for running the petition and all the work they did. These lakes already produce some great fish, it'll be exciting to see what these lakes can turn into in the coming years!

Guest ArtVandelay
Just saw the new regulations for 2012 and the regulations have been changed to now allow only one fish over 50cm to be kept.

What was it last year?

While I do release 99% of my fish, upper k was one of the few lakes I liked to keep a couple trout a year. This lake has sure had some huge changes over the years, rainbows with bait allowed, rainbows/bulls/cutties no bait allowed, and now cutties/bulls no bait allowed and basically no retention. I understand for a rainbow trout fishery having a minimum size of 20" because that is not really a huge fish. However I don't really understand the 20" size for cutties, 20" is a huge cutthroat and I wouldn't want to keep one that big. I guess they are more or less turning this into a C & R lake??? Would it not of made more sense to make minimum size smaller (16"?) for cutthroat since they do not grow as a big as rainbows?

What was it last year?

Up until now it's been a limit of 3 fish over 30cm.

While I do release 99% of my fish, upper k was one of the few lakes I liked to keep a couple trout a year. This lake has sure had some huge changes over the years, rainbows with bait allowed, rainbows/bulls/cutties no bait allowed, and now cutties/bulls no bait allowed and basically no retention. I understand for a rainbow trout fishery having a minimum size of 20" because that is not really a huge fish. However I don't really understand the 20" size for cutties, 20" is a huge cutthroat and I wouldn't want to keep one that big. I guess they are more or less turning this into a C & R lake??? Would it not of made more sense to make minimum size smaller (16"?) for cutthroat since they do not grow as a big as rainbows?

In the right conditions cutthroats can easily reach 20 inches, maybe not a lot over but they will regularly hit that 20-21 inch range. I fished a large mountain lake this summer that produced many large cutthroats, including probably 1 in 7 fish being 20 inches or larger. It'll all be in how the lake is stocked relative to the food source.

Would it not of made more sense to make minimum size smaller (16"?) for cutthroat since they do not grow as a big as rainbows?

Yeah, I'm not sure why Albertan's and SRD specifically are so reluctant to go for a retention of one under 18" (or 20") like they do in Manitoba. Able to keep a pan-fry and yet still grows big fish. Seems win-win to me, but maybe that just makes too much sense for people to agree with.

With that being said, I'm all for any change that helps to reduce the retention rate at this, and most other trout lakes in the province. Well done guys. Now let's do this for half a dozen other trout lakes and we're off to the races!

Cheers.

Just saw the new regulations for 2012 and the regulations have been changed to now allow only one fish over 50cm to be kept. Great work to all those on the forum who got behind this initiative and played a role in making it happen, and thanks in particular to Dekkard and Beedhead for running the petition and all the work they did. These lakes already produce some great fish, it'll be exciting to see what these lakes can turn into in the coming years!

Thanks! It has taken a lot of time to get this accomplished.

Depends on the mgmt goal. Personally, I favour "one under" and not "one over" regulations but if the pop'n can handle the potential loss, doesn't really matter. I signed the dam petition anyway so I guess I can't bitch haha.

If you want fish meat, go to a pothole or smack some walleye on the head, you're paying for em.

I never saw the petition, but I probably would have signed it anyways as I'd rather have a trophy fishery than keep a couple fish a year. You can't really compare a 8" pothole trout that tastes like mud compared to a high mountain cutthroat. Also I'm not sure if you are familiar with the regulations for keeping walleye near Calgary but most spots are C & R. I'm just curious as to why they chose 20" for both rainbow trout and cutthroat trout when a 20" rainbow is not in the same league as a 20" cutthroat.

I like Bigtoads idea of 1 under 18" or 16"

Depends on the mgmt goal. Personally, I favour "one under" and not "one over" regulations but if the pop'n can handle the potential loss, doesn't really matter. I signed the dam petition anyway so I guess I can't bitch haha.

If you want fish meat, go to a pothole or smack some walleye on the head, you're paying for em.

The public is paying for this lake to be stocked as well so there has to be some sort of happy medium.

Fair nuff comment about walleye. My point is the vast majority of angling $$$ in AB goes to rearing and stocking walleye....I'd be trying to get my money's worth if I was a fish eater.

There is far more money spent on stocking trout around Alberta then there is Walleye. The southern half of Alberta doesn't have any stocking of walleye at all. They are all self sustaining populations.

Guest Sundancefisher
:wave_smile: Congratulations to all who worked so hard to get this in place!

:clapping:

X2...let's hope they get the stocking rates correct to encourage proper growth. It is a win/win if lots regularly reach 20 inches.

Great job. Good on the folks spearheading it. But, and this might make me old school - great for Kyle McNeilly who made the suggestion to go that route for years, and now some folks followed through on the concept. Wonderful. It's great to see that what Kyle had purported is now in place, the 1 over regulation. As Kyle was bang on right about - the only way to keep fish in the water to see what the true potential is, is to have either C&R or a large min size (with no under size allowance) at that specific location. Hopefully the gov will give the fishery at least 15 years to sort through a couple of generations before re-opening discussion on regs. It's the only way to come as close to potential aside from closing it entirely. Once we establish what that potential is over those 15 years we can re-examine what its use and productivity capabilities can be assigned to, if at all.

Great to see something closer to home!

Jim Stelfox was showing off the data collected during their written and oral surveys at the Hook and Hackle open house - the more information the better so please take the time to fill out the creel survey cards and note your opinion on the new regulations, because like Police Outpost, there is going to be some opposition.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tallieho

good to see you back on the board beedhead see you at bullshead,ice is off early this year.. yes & thanks to all that helped get k-lakes some new reg's

With that being said, I'm all for any change that helps to reduce the retention rate at this, and most other trout lakes in the province. Well done guys. Now let's do this for half a dozen other trout lakes and we're off to the races!

Cheers.

Good job Guys........I think the gov't folks are pretty onside with creating more Quality Fisheries........Now is a good time to continue the fight for more, for sure............As BT says, let's get another half dozen trout lakes in the QF regs while the momentum is there...............