Fly Fusion Forums

Is It Time For A Serious Discussion About This Forum And Fishing Reports

Just because one member doesn't mind posting a spot, AKA hotspotting, that doesn't mean that everyone else who uses that spot won't mind. In my opinion, keep your locations off public forums out of respect for other anglers. Feel free to share privately.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let's say you and I are the only two people in the whole world who know about a really special spot. We've never met, and maybe we both like to think we're the only people at all. Maybe there's the odd fisher who would take a spot to his/her grave, but chances are someday we'll share this spot with someone we trust (Rumor has it, fishermen like to brag). Now, everyone I know thinks they're a good judge of character, and everyone I know has been wrong before. So this person that one of us trusted lets the cat out of the bag, and the next time we go to this special spot it's overrun (2 cars parked at the bridge). In the end, what difference does it make whether it was posted on the internet or whispered in someones ear? A secret is only a secret if you keep it secret.

And yet we don't really see this happening. Several really sensitive fisheries have been hot-spotted on the board more than once, with no ill effect. Fisheries that are pristine and sensitive have stayed that way (even before you found it) for a reason; they're usually pretty out of the way. And I don't think a comparison to perch fishers is fair. They have kind of a different motivation, you know?

I guess if you really want to keep a spot safe, but still show off, you'll have to go old school and drive your guest there in a blindfold. And try to be philosophical about the fact that others know the same spot, but you have no control over them, and they may not share your ethics. One indulgence I must confess; I have actually sent a couple people on wild goose chases, once because I knew he wasn't very ethical, and once because I just plain didn't like the guy.

In the end, what difference does it make whether it was posted on the internet or whispered in someones ear? A secret is only a secret if you keep it secret.

I'm trying to see this from your perspective Junior, I guess I'll choose to agree to disagree. I see a vast difference between whispering the secret to one individual's ear who I've had a chance to get to know versus an anonymous audience potential of 4000+.

One dilemma I am faced with is if the school board approves an overnight trip with kids in August, is that I am a little leery of where I take them; not really about secret spots here, but we all know that small creek fishing is a delight, and yet can I justify pounding a couple of creeks with perhaps a dozen youngsters? Kind of iffy...I know several spots where I can get these kids into a lot of cutts, but it is adding pressure to a relatively small system. Plus, if I am successful in getting kids into the sport, I have now added more anglers - good thing and bad thing, I know some of us will see it from perspective. Obviously that ship has sailed with me, if I didn't think adding anglers to the sport wasn't a good thing I wouldn't have a flyfishing club. I'll have to trust myself to have a thoughtful discussion with the kids about angling ethics...lol.

Anyways, good discussion.

Smitty

Mike,

What a great "teachable moment"! You have an opportunity to teach the kids in your (their) club all about "impact" while at the same time give them a great (and memorable) experience! All in all it's about "balance"! Hopefully the message(s) will stick for the future of the resource!

Have fun! Let me now if you need any help (I'd volunteer - with security clearances, etc. of course)!

P

Junior

Your last post reminds me of a story a friend of mine tells. Years ago his buddies kept hyping a "secret" spot, he kept bugging them and finally they agreed to take him only if he was blindfolded. They set off from the cty and stopped 45 minutes later and told him they had arrived and he could take the blindfold off. They were parked at the High River town pond!