Fly Fusion Forums

Recommend Long Single Hander

Guest ArtVandelay

Guest JayVee

Hi guys

There's room in the budget this year for a new rod. I think a rod with some extra length would suit my casting style very well. Does anyone own a >10 footer, 6 weight that you absolutely love? I'm also tossing around the idea of a switch rod. Would there be a chance for me to demo one of these? Are any of the local fly shops planning a demo day soon? I can go up to $800 on this.

Thanks guys.

Daylight savings time this Sunday! Woohoo!

Guest JBear

I have a gloomis eastfork 10' 5wt, and a st croix legend ultra 10' 6 weight. The st croix feels like it could almost be a 8 weight. Very strong rod and can launch line (7wt rio grand, 6th rio nymph). I feel it is almost too heavy for the bow, but perfect for west coast salmon fishing. The 10' 5wt feels a little more realistic. And throws the line well (6wt rio gold, 6th rio nymph but I am looking into a 5 weight rio indicator line.) That stick is my favorite of all my rods besides my 4 wt. It's perfect for fishing nymphs on the bow.

Have a look into a sage 99, I've heard some really good things through friends.

I've gone through a few 10 footers now from 6 wt to 4wt and honestly for the bow there just too big and heavy.My 9 footers can do everything my 10's can do with more accuracy and there much lighter in the hand.

try fishing a few before you buy for sure.

I think the 10's will shine more on a lake when you need to throw 24' leaders.

i currently am using a 10' 5wt for my nymph rig. I find it helps me with casting especially out of the boat.. and it also helps with roll casting if your walking and wading and there are obstacles behind you. I say go for it.. this will be my 3rd season with the 10' rod and i love it. Will give you some great arm strength too if your casting it all day.

I've gone through a few 10 footers now from 6 wt to 4wt and honestly for the bow there just too big and heavy.My 9 footers can do everything my 10's can do with more accuracy and there much lighter in the hand.

try fishing a few before you buy for sure.

I think the 10's will shine more on a lake when you need to throw 24' leaders.

X2

10 ft rods are great for still water from a pontoon or tube :dropphish:

Bk

Guest Grinr
Would there be a chance for me to demo one of these? Are any of the local fly shops planning a demo day soon? I can go up to $800 on this.

Thanks guys.

I talked to a Pieroway rep at the Flyfishing expo about my desire to learn Spey casting,asked about Spey clinics etc.,and he told me I could test drive any of their rods/anytime for a day/few days/week etc. with a security deposit.

I'm thinking about a Redington cpx in the 10 ft 6 wt model, anyone have experience with this particular rod?

Yes,

It's a serious canon, a little heavier in the hand than Z's and Ones but it tracks super well, doesnt feel akward and really chucks a Rio gold well. the price is super sweat for a lifetime warranty rod.

Yes,

It's a serious canon, a little heavier in the hand than Z's and Ones but it tracks super well, doesnt feel akward and really chucks a Rio gold well. the price is super sweat for a lifetime warranty rod.

cool, and thanks for the line recommendation as well! Putting an order in, probably see how it throws my new ridge line first, thanks!