Fly Fusion Forums

Best Camping Recipes

:) I love to cook, especially outdoors. Food just seems to taste Sooooo good when you are outside. My question is: what are some of the best outdoor recipes (tried and true) that everyone likes to cook or eat while camping? I am sure some would say hot dogs and hamburgers (keep it easy) which is ok, but what about all of the backyard chefs out there? Do you like to grill, slow cook, deep fry, pan fry, your favourite meals? What do you cook that everyone loves while camping? Me? I use a Cobb a lot of the time as it is easy to place a few coals in the bottom, get it stoked up, and then do a mustard honey chicken. Reciped is easy:

Either chicken pieces or thighs (skin on)

Place in a sealed ziploc bag and add:

1 cup Frenchs mustard

1/2 cup honey

seasonings (i like poultry seasong, montreal steak spice, etc)

Mush up the chicken in the bag and coat thoroughly

Let marinade for any from 30 mins - overnight (longer the better)

grill on both sides until skin is nice and crisp on all sides

wrap in foil and continue to cook until cooked thoroughly (no pink)

remove from grill and let stand for 5 minutes covered in foil

serve and enjoy!

Cheers!

:drinked:

Granny Smith Apples.

Core them but leave the bottom of the apple in tact.

In the middle stuff brown sugar, raisins and butter.

Wrap in 3 layers of foil.

Throw in the embers of a campfire for 15 minutes to half hour depending on how hot the fire is.

It's like a portable apple pie. Or maybe it just tastes that way after a few adult bevvies.

You talking backpacking/canoe tripping/rafting or car camping?!

For backpacking we dry all our own so pretty much anything you have at home you can have in the backcountry (but top picks would be chicken mushroom curry and Moroccan Stew [Vegan] on couscous), dried strawberries). Canoe tripping/rafting and car camping - I'm a Dutch Oven cook, so I've done everything from roast turkey [yes full turkey] to baking cakes and backing homemade buns & bread, etc. Probably the two dishes that go over the best are Chicken Cordon Bleu and Chicken Enchiladas (though you can't buy Enchilada sauce in grocery stores here for some reason?)!

Unfortunatley, I don't normally give my recipies away :P

P

Never heard of dutch oven for cooking, I do know the old lady gets mad at the other type.

Might have to look into one for the upcoming camping season. Looks like even an aluminium be would be too heavy for backpacking, but other types it would be okay.

Looked up some recipes, how do you tell how hot it is inside the dutch oven? The models I looked at didnt have a temperature gauge.

Jason,

I have 3 "D O's" and I will lend you one after I teach you how!

As a thank you for helping me with my router & iPhone issues!!

Cheers,

P

P.S> As far as temperature goes, there is a specific technique...

Never heard of dutch oven for cooking, I do know the old lady gets mad at the other type.

Might have to look into one for the upcoming camping season. Looks like even an aluminium be would be too heavy for backpacking, but other types it would be okay.

Looked up some recipes, how do you tell how hot it is inside the dutch oven? The models I looked at didnt have a temperature gauge.

Hi Pete,

Yep, still alive and kicking though a knee injury playing hockey has slowed down the powder turns...........

My wife's business. I hope someday to be promoted to "Head Delivery Man". Making weekly deliveries to the Big Hole and maybe the Bow!

As far as you guys asking about dutch ovens and temperature, this is how we go about it. Three up, three down for 350 degrees. Take the diameter of the pan to start. Let's say it is a ten inch pan. Three up, so thirteen on top, three down, so seven on the bottom for 350 degrees. Every time you want twenty five more degrees of heat, add one on the top and bottom.

So you want 400 degrees with a ten inch pan, fifteen on top and nine on the bottom. Clear as mud?

Like everything new, practice makes perfect. One thing we have learned, colder ambient temperature means more heat over a longer period of time, warmer out means less time at same pan temperature.

I know several people who backpack with their aluminum dutch oven. The ovens are expensive though.

Jeff