Fly Fusion Forums

Simms Selling Direct

Jayhad

The AT did an article that Simms will be selling direct......

Simms to Sell Direct, Yet Reaffirms "Specialty Matters Most" Commitment...

CEO K.C. Walsh Answers The Tough Questions

Simms Fishing Products dealers were informed this week about the company's decision to make substantial changes to its distribution plans. Most notably, starting in August, consumers will be able to purchase Simms gear through www.simmsfishing.com. The company also says it will forbid dealers to sell current products on or through Amazon and eBay.

The decision by Simms to sell direct comes as a surprise to few. Still, Angling Trade has received feedback from the retailer community ranging from anger to total ambivalence. In most cases, the reaction has been a desire to get more facts.

With that in mind, Angling Trade editor Kirk Deeter interviewed Simms president and CEO K.C. Walsh. Here are the first of K.C.'s candid answers. You can see the full interview in Angling Trade's E-newsletter, to be distributed next Tuesday, February 21.

AT: How will Simms selling direct possibly benefit the specialty shop? Do you recognize that there are consumers out there who buy waders at fly shops now, who will not do that in the future?

K.C.: We see four basic consumer groups in fly fishing: 1) Traditional fly shop consumers (like myself) who like the experience of being in a shop. They want to try things on, and they're looking for expertise. I think they'll continue to shop that way. 2) There are "efficiency" shoppers, who work in a tower, and don't...

I guess Simms resposibility is to their share holders and earning a profit, but this is cold blooded to bypass the manufacturer-distributor-retailer sales system. Just in the last few years Simms tried to push the "ban felt" issue just so you could buy another pair of boots, then flip flopped because anglers wanted safety not gimmicky soles and are smarter than psedo-science.

Is this a trend of things to come.... I think so but I hope not. Perhaps anglers will boycott Simms products to show support of local shops.

The AT did an article that Simms will be selling direct......

Simms to Sell Direct, Yet Reaffirms "Specialty Matters Most" Commitment...

CEO K.C. Walsh Answers The Tough Questions

Simms Fishing Products dealers were informed this week about the company's decision to make substantial changes to its distribution plans. Most notably, starting in August, consumers will be able to purchase Simms gear through www.simmsfishing.com. The company also says it will forbid dealers to sell current products on or through Amazon and eBay.

The decision by Simms to sell direct comes as a surprise to few. Still, Angling Trade has received feedback from the retailer community ranging from anger to total ambivalence. In most cases, the reaction has been a desire to get more facts.

With that in mind, Angling Trade editor Kirk Deeter interviewed Simms president and CEO K.C. Walsh. Here are the first of K.C.'s candid answers. You can see the full interview in Angling Trade's E-newsletter, to be distributed next Tuesday, February 21.

AT: How will Simms selling direct possibly benefit the specialty shop? Do you recognize that there are consumers out there who buy waders at fly shops now, who will not do that in the future?

K.C.: We see four basic consumer groups in fly fishing: 1) Traditional fly shop consumers (like myself) who like the experience of being in a shop. They want to try things on, and they're looking for expertise. I think they'll continue to shop that way. 2) There are "efficiency" shoppers, who work in a tower, and don't...

I guess Simms resposibility is to their share holders and earning a profit, but this is cold blooded to bypass the manufacturer-distributor-retailer sales system. Just in the last few years Simms tried to push the "ban felt" issue just so you could buy another pair of boots, then flip flopped because anglers wanted safety not gimmicky soles and are smarter than psedo-science.

Is this a trend of things to come.... I think so but I hope not. Perhaps anglers will boycott Simms products to show support of local shops.

Wow! Surprised to see this as they will now be cutting out the middle man somewhat (guide shops), and make their profit directly from the consumer. Myself, i like to go and hang out at the local fly shops, check out what's new, and enjoy spending my money there when I find something I like. Kinda takes away the social aspect of buying Simms equipment. Not sure I am impressed by this at all.

I will always continue to buy from shops because I am and immediate gratification kind of guy. If it means spending and extra $20 so that I can have it "right now" then I'll spend it.

Once you add in shipping costs and waiting 3-4 weeks for delivery from most places, the extra cash and personal experience, in my opinion, is worth it.

The only time I would consider shopping online is if I can't find what I am looking for locally. I will always try and find it local first.

We happen to be lucky having all these wonderful venues to buy stuff from right here in town. For others the ability to purchase direct online will benifit them. Even here in town you can waste a lot of money driving from shop to shop looking for something.

While I'm at it, anyone know who carries bug bond locally?

I like this, for someone like me if I wanted to buy a pair of simms waders I need to get a size that most shops do not carry or get the custom fit ones. I like to buy in shops but sometimes they do not have or carry the item I want, so having another option is very benfitial to me.

Also I would like to add that anyone who starts a company is to make money, and if you are not making money then what is the point in opening a company.

Orvis has been doing this for years, and the only time I found it worth my while to order online was when I had a couple of people to do a group buy and split the shipping costs. Otherwise if I want Orvis stuff I hit CP.

Whaaaatt???

You hold up a train for Orvis stuff???

You, sir, are a rogue! :clapping:

I think this is a change in the business model at Simms to support their transition into other markets besides fly fishing. If you look at some of the recent offerings from Simms, they have branched out into hiking shoes, and clothing that appeals to a wider outdoor audience.

I dont see it as a bad thing for fly shops, in fact it may be better as non-fisher people come to fly shops looking for Simms outdoor clothing. My mom goes to Fish Tales to buy Croc's shoes because the have a good selection, but she never fishes.

It is the same path that companies like Burton, North Face, Columbia have taken. Go from a specific niche market, to a wider one while still servicing your foundation. It makes good business sense, especially if it is needed to ensure that Simm's can keep offering quality fly fishing gear.

By boycotting Simms, it will hurt your local fly shop as well unless you buy a different brand. For me, Simms is the right combination of form, function, and price. I like their gear more than the other brands out there like so really boycotting Simms is cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I will continue to support my local fly shop. The nice thing about fly shops is that if you can order it from the Simms web site the store can get it too, and you likely wont get nailed for shipping.

Andrew

Hopefully they wont do the 60% mark up most shops do.

Manufacturers in the fly fishing industry are well known for dictating purchase price, MSRP, with the threat of loosing the product line up if discounted

As for my boycotting Simms, I will continue to support my choosen local store, if this becomes a trend in the industry we may be kissing our local shops good bye

As it was mentioned other manufacturers already do the direct to consumers business and even supply "stores" that are only online and have minimal overhead as opposed to the brick and mortar stores.

The risk in this is when Simms decides to discontinue a product and the shops are the last to know and are slow to match the price. However out of the U.S. consumers will have to realize there may be a shipping and handling fee, potential duties for their products that are manufactured overseas, etc.

Not sure why there was a shot at the margins that fly shops need to make; they have to order and maintain the inventory, pay for the brick and mortar and the staff to sell that inventory. Just remember who people go to for fishing reports, how to tie a certain knot, new places to go fishing, general advice and whatnot. A lot of the shops around here offer that advice and time at no charge. With this instance, Simms will be making larger margins, it isn't like they are going to sell their waders at the shop costs, but at the suggested MSRP; so who is really making the money there? Simms would do themselves a world of damage if they were to undercut not just the small fly shops that carry their product; they won't go out of their way to anger the big box stores like Bass Pro or Cabella's, Sportsman's Warehouse.

I dont see this really hurting the shops. At least not here in Canada. The orvis example brought up earlier is a perfect example of this. By the time you look at what they are charging online for the product, and the ridiculous! shipping charges they charge Canadians. Not to mention the duty and taxes Canada customs will nab ya with, the product often ends up costing much more then what you could get it at the shop for. I do a fair bit of mail order for tying and fishing stuff due to no shops where I live. But even then I try hard to stick to the Canadian shops just for the shipping and duty costs. It has to be one heck of a good deal at the American shop to make it worth my while.

Mike

No need to boycott. who does not want to actually view what they are buying, or try it on? I am not fond of waiting for shipping, or paying for it, either. Because of shipping costs, and possible gst/duty, the online option will likely be similar in price to buying locally, but with additional wait time.

Other than discontinued items, I'm quite confident anything priced directly from Simms will be at MSRP, so unless the CAD$ goes way above par, there's not much of a threat to the local shops.

Buy direct from Simms at MSRP:

add shipping

add duty if applicable to non 'Made in USA' items

add GST

add brokerage

add delivery time

add uncertainty as to fit

Buy local at MSRP:

add GST

add confidence as to fit

add water

Even within the states, you might save on your applicable state taxes, though you'll still need to add shipping costs and delivery time.

Like Kritofr mentioned the only time this changes is when Simms discontinues items and vendors aren't as quick to mark down their pricing. That's potentially the only time bargains are to be had, and local shops loose a larger percentage of sales to direct or online purchases.

I work in the bike industry and we have been competing against mail order and "grey market" product for years. We're still here. We've just had to ramp up our service to customers to keep them coming thru the door. I don't think the local dealers have too much to worry about. I can't see a brand like Simms devaluing their product. As a consumer who used to live in a small town, the ability to buy direct only increases my options. When you need gear and your only option is to buy whats available locally (which may be nothing or overpriced) or drive 5 hours and hope that you can find what you want, manufacturer direct sales are a godsend.