Fly Fusion Forums

Maol Leaches?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i was wondering if any of you have tips on making small moal leaches? I can make them great in the 3"+ range but am having trouble with making them leach sized. I find the magnum strips work best for the larger boys but are hard to work with for the smaller guys

The ones i have made small with thinner strips of rabbit seam very sparse and can see the leather right through. Any tips on what "gauge" strips make the best small leaches/bfish

I will post a few pics of what i have done after my Arch Hist exam this afternoon.

pre thanks for any help posted.

Give it a try with squirel or mink. Mink has very dense and fairly short hair with thin hide, should work with smaller leech imitations. Squirel works good too, but check the package before you buy it, sometimes they have very sparse hair.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i will have to give the cross cuts a try, just have to make a paycheck in my small christmas break to restock some suplies.

here we go, some medium and small maols. I wish i had more colors but this is what a made.

Are you using a swivel for head vs. a cut off hook? If so, that is quite brilliant. I have been using a large hook and cutting off the hook part. I have seen folks use cotter pins but i think this might be much better.

m

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

yah, that would be wicked! thanks bud. As for the leach its hook to braided spider line with a bead or Umer monster cone then just a small key chain loop made for fishing but i dont know the actual term for them is. and a bot of crazy glue on all the knots to be safe.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

good leach but i prefer a stinger on my streamers as bulls hit the side and run but bows and browns tend to nip the tail and pike slam the head.

good leach but i prefer a stinger on my streamers as bulls hit the side and run but bows and browns tend to nip the tail and pike slam the head.

what a load of rubbish...by the sound of your post, you haven't been at it to long now have you..been fishing predator fish for quite a few years, including the Muskie and cudda, and until you have taken each one of these fish in the manner you have posted, I suggest you quite posting other ppl's thoughts...

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

WOW, When you read other peoples post do you give them all a condescending tone??? Go back to every other forum and get off this one!

or reply with some open constructive criticism instead or just saying "WRONG WRONG WRONG! you have NO idea what your saying!"

but thats just my 2C

WOW, When you read other peoples post do you give them all a condescending tone??? Go back to every other forum and get off this one!

or reply with some open constructive criticism instead or just saying "WRONG WRONG WRONG! you have NO idea what your saying!"

but thats just my 2C

well I could rip you apart young fellow and set you back into grade school, however..what I said is quite true..maybe you have but most likely you haven't taken those species , with each doing as you posted..for in reality there is No given way a fish will take it's prey by specie of fish to give man an actual statistic method..just like you ..do you open your mouth each time and speak in a logical mature manner..not from the posts of yours I've read..but that's you, and like the fish, it will take it's prey in whatever manner it chooses for that moment.

..and to answer you in regards to "Go back to every other forum and get off this one!"..lad..until you mature enough to speak properly, if I were you, I'd not threaten with words you could not uphold..

..but as always, this is the season to be jolly....ho ho ho..

Mink works really nice

DSC00453.jpg

Give it a try with squirel or mink. Mink has very dense and fairly short hair with thin hide, should work with smaller leech imitations. Squirel works good too, but check the package before you buy it, sometimes they have very sparse hair.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i did one aswell with mink and i think i will work great, only an inch and a half or so. I like that under body flash, very peacock with out the fragility.

HAHA dont get too bothered by this wolfy but i dont take anything you say to seriously, after all you rock a fryer tuck and a pony tail!! pick up a GQ some time

Listen lad...if you persist in getting personal, I can release info in regards to your lack of sense, but why..not necessary for ppl to know certain things about you, now do they...and yes I do remember meeting you at fishtales..and more than likely meet up with you again at the up coming show..anyway..you have a long way to go , but in the mean time have a great Xmas........cheers..Wolfie