Fly Fusion Forums

Natural Gas Fireplace

The wife and I move into our brand spanking new house next week. We had the fireplace roughed in (natural gas) and we hope to get it going within not too long. What should I be looking for? any particular brand I should go with? what's the difference between them, are some models more efficient and expensive for being so? what about prices of these things, how much should I expect to pay for a good unit? is there deals to be had out there?

I was happy with the service and products at Barbecues Galore. They took quite a bit of time explaining their different products and grades when we were in the store. It takes a while to get someone's ear the few times we went, but once you did, they did not rush the process. If your not comfortable, you can at least walk out with some information about what you are looking for.

Paid about $3500 installed for a decent unit. Maybe I could have done better somewhere else, but renos are hell, and sometimes you have to save time in place of cash.

• 1 month later...

I have 2.

I did my basement myself 5 years ago and the unit I have is a Heat N Glo. It is very good.

One thing you want is a non standing pilot.............................Meaning............................the fireplace does not need the pilot running. Flick the switch and it lights and so does the flame! Should save some $$$$$$$ over a standard unit with pilot on.

good luck

Look for a unit with a fan in it. In our old house we had a unit without one and in our new one we have the fan. The fan pushes the heat out in to the room making it heat the space better. Personally, I would look for a little bit quieter fan as the one we have now is a little noisy but I don't know if they make different fans or not.

A

Look for a unit with a fan in it. In our old house we had a unit without one and in our new one we have the fan. The fan pushes the heat out in to the room making it heat the space better. Personally, I would look for a little bit quieter fan as the one we have now is a little noisy but I don't know if they make different fans or not.

A

Our fan equiped one was very noisy - until last year when I was cleaning it and noticed a speed switch in the area near the fan motor. It was set on high. at low/ medium hardly any noise, and still kicks out the heat.

Our fan equiped one was very noisy - until last year when I was cleaning it and noticed a speed switch in the area near the fan motor. It was set on high. at low/ medium hardly any noise, and still kicks out the heat.

Our fan is on a dial, like a rotary dimmer switch, on the wall by the switch to turn it on. At high speed it does whine pretty good.

A