Fly Fusion Forums

20/20?

Guest FoamStoner

What is the rule on the 20/20 goal. Does the fly have to be size 20 wet or dry, or is it only dry. Just wondering cause i may have broken that last weekend.

Damn....

Jeremie

I will believe you if you do the same for me....

legit 20" fish on a size 20 trico fly in early August, but I haven't had my camera since it took a dip with me on the Highwood. People may not believe me but I still think about it when I go to bed.

Awesome feeling.

I have a measure net, i have a picture of the fish inside the measure net, just no fly in his mouth. I have 3 other witnesses that it took a size 20 copper john dropping from a yellow hoppicator.

Jeremie, if the fish was fun to catch, who cares if it was from a #20 nymph or a #20 trico? It's not like you get a nice handsome plaque for being in the 20/20 club. And if you try to brag about it to anyone other than a dedicated fly fisherman, whoever you are bragging to will just look at you funny. And perhaps most importantly to a fellow of your age (if my son's are any indication), girls really won't care!

Jeremie, if the fish was fun to catch, who cares if it was from a #20 nymph or a #20 trico? It's not like you get a nice handsome plaque for being in the 20/20 club. And if you try to brag about it to anyone other than a dedicated fly fisherman, whoever you are bragging to will just look at you funny. And perhaps most importantly to a fellow of your age (if my son's are any indication), girls really won't care!

Still catching a nice fish on a tiny little fly does give you a nice feeling. But I do see your point! I try to keep the fly fishing away from girls. Most of them don't seem to *get it*.

Was it you I met in fish tales? If so nice meeting you! See you out on the water!

Jeremie

What the heck Rick! You mean the custom 20/20 club t shirt that I ordered in august and have been wearing everyday isn't cool?

Man times have changed ;-)

Still catching a nice fish on a tiny little fly does give you a nice feeling. But I do see your point! I try to keep the fly fishing away from girls. Most of them don't seem to *get it*.

Was it you I met in fish tales? If so nice meeting you! See you out on the water!

Jeremie

It was me, and nice meeting you as well.

Biggy- The 20/20 shirt will get you tons of girls. My recommendation is to wear it near 8th ave on a nice sunny day around lunch time. Standing next to your Ferrari. With lots of cash poking out of your pockets. You'll be a hit!

What do you get for catching a 20" cutt on a #8 foam beetle and then pulling not one but two #20 nymphs out of it's mouth? 3lb tippet and microscopic flies (nymphs no less) seems silly to me when you can cast huge ugly flies and have them slurp them up without discrimination. Mind you I'm not looking to join any clubs.

What do you get for catching a 20" cutt on a #8 foam beetle and then pulling not one but two #20 nymphs out of it's mouth? 3lb tippet and microscopic flies (nymphs no less) seems silly to me when you can cast huge ugly flies and have them slurp them up without discrimination. Mind you I'm not looking to join any clubs.

On the other hand, I was mucking about with a fussy cutt on the Livingstone on Tuesday, and when I got him on a #18 spinner, he had a #6 egg sucking leech in his craw. I was thinking: how on earth do you break off a cutt on 3X?

Biggy- The 20/20 shirt will get you tons of girls. My recommendation is to wear it near 8th ave on a nice sunny day around lunch time. Standing next to your Ferrari. With lots of cash poking out of your pockets. You'll be a hit!

Rick I will need to borrow your ferrari and maybe a little pocket money. Also if you had a map of where exactly I should stand on 8th ave (your honey hole please) to find these girls.....it would be very much appreciated. I promise not tell anyone what I was using or where I went.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of measuring fish, I tape small markers onto my rods at key points (12", 16", 20") and that way I can quickly lay the rod alongside the fish for a quick measurement while the fish revives in the water. I just use scotch tape and yellow sticky note paper, and it doesn't seem to negatively affect the action of the rod.

I realize it's not rocket science, but I think it helps me to get the fish back much quicker. Especially the big ones that always pique your curiosity for a measurement.

Adams