Fly Fusion Forums

High Alpine Lake Flies For This Time Of Year

Hey, just wondering if anybody has any reccomendations for flies for high alpine lakes for this time of year. Im heading out this weekend and really dont know what to use other than micro leaches/damsel fly nymphs/ or chronies. thanks

I find it is always changing. The chronnies are a good bet. But I make sure I have gold ribbed hares ears, flashback phesant tails, and also a good assortment of dries like adams, griffith's gnats, and traveling sedges. Make sure they are in smaller sizes too. Bottonline: bring a good selection because you never know what to expect at high elevation.

fertile high elevation lakes can fish very similar to lower elevation lake fishing. bring your nymph box, bring chronomids, damsels, scuds, leeches, and boatmen. small dries like #20 adams is a good bet, but do bring some bigger mayflies as well. #14 adams, #14-16 light cahill... #14 Elk Hair caddis, some lakes a #10 goddard caddis is the shizzam.. (window mountain). Take trico's in a #20-22 and do take some 6 or 7x tippets up with you. Depending on what lake, I'd go with a very small indicator and a couple nymphs to start... match what you see in the film of the lake... if there are chironomid shucks, use a similar sized chronie... if you fish boiling set them shallow (2 and 3ft deep) you'll do great. Same with if you see the odd caddis around, use a caddis emerger or hare's ear, etc, the same depth under and indicator. If the fish are not playing around you'll have to go deep, 6 to 8feet or more.

Try quick short strips with a boatmen or damsel pattern through likely areas (dropoffs, weed lines, shallow with cruising fish, etc)

good luck

Yeah I agree with all the above!

EHC, Adams, (Red and Black) Humpies, micro leeches with a prince nymph dropper (sink tip) in the 14 & 16 size all produced last week up at Sunburst & Cerulean Lakes at Assiniboine PP (not with the dropper, though).

P