Fly Fusion Forums

Which Is Better Sage Or Loomis

I am thinking of purchasing a new rod, i am looking at either a Sage TCX or a G-Loomis GLX 9weight. to fish for Steelhead.

i would like some opinions of which is better, do they handle differently, and what reel would be best?

Cast them both. Pick the one that feels best and suits your needs. What feels good to me may not be what's good for you. I'm sure others will agree.

As for reels I have Lamson and Ross reels and both give me no issues, it's a coin toss as far as performance. You'll find the same for reels, a lot of great reels out there that are awesome performers but the final decision will be based on what looks good to you.

This probably doesn't help you much but a lot of decisions are personal preference, ESPECIALLY rods.

I have a Loomis rod and it does the job. I have also cast a Zaxis and really liked it. Something to keep in mind with Loomis is they were bought out by a large spin-cast company (can't remember the name now) and the service/warranty has really suffered. I had to replace mine and it took months plus I had to pay $150 in total and chase around after a complacent dept.

Neil

I didnot know Loomis was bought out, that ia probalbly why they do not sell the bags anymore. I have one Loomis rod and a couple of sage, bought i was wondering if the Loomis is a faseter rod than the Sage, or are they both about the same,?

I believe Shimano bought Loomis.

Mr. Loomis now works for Temple Fork

Are you sure it was Shimano I always thought it was Diawa, but shimano could be right, and loomis I belive was bought out like 3 or 4 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you haven't bought a rod yet, the Z-Axis is on sale now. You may want to try a Sage One as well. I have a 4 weight (wicked good) and heard the 8 weight is the deal for bones. The 9 should be equally impressive. Also, check out the 8 weight shootout by the good folks at Yellowstone Angler. I'm sure the 9 weights are similar. The BVK did really well. Something to think about.

That said, I know a few guys who like the TCX and chuck some mean steamers with it. They all work for fly shops or used to be guides. I don't know many who have the Loomis rods other than the spey stuff. I have a couple but they don't inspire awe in me like the Z-Axis or the new One (the Hardy Zenith is a pretty sweet chucker too). But that's just me. I like that feel.

I have to say though, all my go to spinning rods are ALL GLoomis. The last few I've bought were all Loomis. You can feel them looking at your lure. :masterbaiter:

Whenever anyone says that you should check them out yourself, they are 100% right. A lot of really great fly fishermen and ladies use rods I can't stand the feel of. They don't work with my casting style. I see Fly fishing as a multi level experience. Nature, solitude, man against beast and all that. Casting a rod should feel like it's just part of you. Just like that perfect drive when you're golfing. You're short changing yourself if you settle for less. You have to cast a few rods to find the right ones. Further than that, if a shop will let you take them fishing, take them up on it. It's a better indication of how you'll like it than waggling or casting in the parking lot for 5 mins.

All my opinion of course.