Fly Fusion Forums

Plunge Pools

jasonvilly

Info:

Plunge pools or where water drops quickly over rocks.

Question:

What is the best way to cast into these bad boys so that you can attain proper drift through the entire pool. Will fish even sit in the actual faster water away from the drop. I know that they will be on the edges between the faster and slower water and near the tail out, but there has to be some sitting in the faster current near the bottom.

It just seems I never get the drift I want through them with dries or nymphs.

I will try to get a picture of the type I am talking about this weekend.

Thanks

Leadhead bucktail with spin casting gear!!

Seriously!!

It's difficult on the fly (even with type 6 or lead core) especially if the pool below is quite deep!!

P

P.S. If you ever walked above the old (Calgary) weir you could look down and see fish in the wash all the time!!

Info:

Plunge pools or where water drops quickly over rocks.

Question:

What is the best way to cast into these bad boys so that you can attain proper drift through the entire pool. Will fish even sit in the actual faster water away from the drop. I know that they will be on the edges between the faster and slower water and near the tail out, but there has to be some sitting in the faster current near the bottom.

It just seems I never get the drift I want through them with dries or nymphs.

I will try to get a picture of the type I am talking about this weekend.

Thanks

big weighted streamer + a bunch of extra splitshot and you'll be going down to where the big bulls live. Plunge pools are classic bull trout water as they wait and ambush any unsuspecting fish that falls over them.

Will only build sit in there? What about browns?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

all fish will sit in these. i find the big dogs are at the head of the pack to pick off the good stuff first.

big weighted streamer + a bunch of extra splitshot and you'll be going down to where the big bulls live. Plunge pools are classic bull trout water as they wait and ambush any unsuspecting fish that falls over them.

Took the words out of my mouth.

I have fished a few big pools over the past 3 weeks and found that the fish are literally everywhere in the pool. But, it definitely seems like the bigger fish sit in the deepest part of the pools, but not always!!! The key is getting down, I think I averaged about 2 lost flies per hour, which I can live with.

Here is what I have never understood about fish in plunge pools: If fish are intercepting stuff that falls into the pool, then why the need to get down so fast? The real stuff falling into the pool isn't lead weighted to drop like the proverbial stone! I know that heavily weighting works, but I've never understood exactly why if the fish are truly in an active ambush mode. I think mostly the fish on bottom are somewhat inactive and just reacting to the easy meal that just plunged in front of their face. Sort of a "I don't know how you got down here so fast, but what the hell, free food."

Here is what I have never understood about fish in plunge pools: If fish are intercepting stuff that falls into the pool, then why the need to get down so fast? The real stuff falling into the pool isn't lead weighted to drop like the proverbial stone! I know that heavily weighting works, but I've never understood exactly why if the fish are truly in an active ambush mode. I think mostly the fish on bottom are somewhat inactive and just reacting to the easy meal that just plunged in front of their face. Sort of a "I don't know how you got down here so fast, but what the hell, free food."

My take on this,Current is going to pull your rig out of the zone so weighted stuff gets in there and will stay a little longer i find anyway.

My take on this,Current is going to pull your rig out of the zone so weighted stuff gets in there and will stay a little longer i find anyway.

As well, natural food items are not connected to a fly line that has drag, bouyancy etc. to take the fly out of the feeding zone. A natural food item will likely churn around in any current, get driven up and down through the pool and not dragged downstream.

I also think that for many of us have the urge to pull out of a deep pool too early, especially when nymphing.

Repitition & weight is the key to getting your gear down into plung pools. Repeat casting to find out the upstream location that will drag your flies to the bottom of the target pool is the key.

A