Fly Fusion Forums

Hi, My Name Is Rick And I'm A Flyaholic

The last couple of days I've been getting gear together to take several members of my family fishing in BC next week. Between myself, my son, and BBT (thanks again Chris!), we are guiding 7 or 8 anglers in two trips over a couple of days. I have a lot of extra stuff (waders, old boots, extra rods) and had to borrow some extra waders and rods, but it looks like I have everything covered.

But I did learn something about my inability to stop buying flies, particularly dry flies. I have this big plastic container that serves as a catch all for extra stuff. Anytime I dig through it I can generally find extra hemostats, tippet, leader, gloves, booties, reels, you name it. When getting ready for the trip, I went through the box pretty thoroughly. And kept coming up with fly containers. And more fly containers. And still more fly containers. (this after I bought 200 or so flies for the trip from Icky). Some from Hanson's, some Southbow, and some FishTales (my addiction is equal opportunity).

So when all was said and done, I have filled 2 double side boxes, 2 boxes with a bunch of individual little containers, and a final box with foam on one side and individual containers on the other. Many, many flies. I have enough elk hair caddis, parachute adams, humpys, stimmies, various stoneflies, emergers I can only guess what they are, ants, beetles, and various big cuttie flies to start my own fly shop. A big percentage of the stuff I look and and think "what the hell is this?" And those are just the dries I'm talking about. My nymph collection is pretty impressive as well. Good thing I don't fish streamers that much or I'd need a second job. I literally have no reason to go to a fly shop at any point this year. . But I will. And I'll buy more. I'm thinking I need some streamers..........

We are all very proud of you Rick....you are an addict.

Now you need to start collecting lake flies so you can triple you fly collection

Fine bunch of co-dependents you guys are.

Oh, I left out the lake box. Only one big double sided one for now.........

So need streamers and more lake flies. Got it.

Good thing you don't tie your own flies otherwise you'd have multiple bins of material as well. I think the last time I checked I had a half dozen new spools of the same 6/0 black thread alone. Don't even ask about how many of the same colour rhea feathers I have at about $15 a pop. The worst thing I do is go into the shop, see something and think that I need it, then get home and realize I already have a brand new package of it in a drawer.

I'm thinking I need some streamers.........

I just about spit my coffee out reading your post.

When I first started this fly thing a little over a year ago I did it with the premonition that it would be a cheap way to entertain myself while everyone else I know is working during the summer.

Your post and my experience have taught me different.

Exactly a year ago I took my first lesson: since hen I have accumulated

4 rods, 3 reels, many cases with flies I have know idea what they are imitating, lost a net and two sets of pliers.

I feel that is a llot in a year, now I am terrified about what will happen in the next 5 years. How long will it take me to accumulate as much as you?

Been at it 5+ yrs now.

I was hoping for an asymptotic approach to some theoretical equipment maximum. I now realize that there is no maximum (unless you count infinity as a max), and the approach is exponential.

HaHa, Rick, great post. Have you tried estimating HOW MANY flies you have. I went through my vest one year and realized I regularly carry hundreds of flies around. Not dozens, hundreds! Of course there are many times I never seem to have the fly I need, or think I need. This year I cleaned out the "ratty" looking ones to make room in my boxes for even more flies that will probably not be the ones I need.

I don't know, there are like 6 or 7 boxes of them in my pack. And there are still more in the catch all box. I would guess more than 500? Too damn many, that's for sure.

The funny thing is, just like in my flats fishing days, I have lots and lots of options, but really only a handful of go to flies. Everything else is really just extra weight!

I can understand. My truck was broken into and all my flies were stolen, and the goof left my rods,( Thank god), so off to restock. I already have several 2 sided boxes full, and extras in containers. I don't tie yet, but that could be scary. When I see the prices like on Icky, I wonder why tie, but I have a fav streamer I will need to tie as Brent S is no longer tieing, Boo Hoo. Too many flies, but lots of fun buying them. The stores love me. :troutpunch:

we are guiding 7 or 8 anglers in two trips over a

BBT is not a Guide!!! just a super nice guy going to BC to help some good folk from Texas enjoy some fly fishing.

Truth is I'm just going to use these folks to net my fish and golf clap for every trout I land and they can also tell me how awesome I am.

Awesome post, myself i tie my own flies and yes i have random fly boxes full of flies all over my house. I even find plastic 35mm film containers with my first tied flies in them hidden in my cupboards. Now I am also starting to accumulate the gear.

BBT is not a Guide!!! just a super nice guy going to BC to help some good folk from Texas enjoy some fly fishing.

Yup, better be careful about calling yourself a guide (or letting anyone else call you a guide) on the west side of the Rockies.

rickr,

I know of that affliction of which you speak. I just assumed that since so many of us have it that it's OK. It's OK, right? RIGHT? I better go tie some more SJWs. That will make me feel better.

Beeker

Good luck in BC (Bring Cash)

Truth is I'm just going to use these folks to net my fish and golf clap for every trout I land and they can also tell me how awesome I am.

Bad wording there, especially since I sure as hell ain't payin' ya! Nor is anyone paying me. We are just teaching fly fishing newby's how to fly fish. On some really nice water!

I was planning on having my son carry my flyboxes (there are A LOT of them) and shout "NO PICTURES PLEASE!!!" if anyone tries to take a picture during a cast. Then I'll back away, swear, glare at the offending relative, spit, and go back into my pre-cast routine.

Yup, better be careful about calling yourself a guide (or letting anyone else call you a guide) on the west side of the Rockies.

I was paid once for fishing and it did not feel right. It was my old boss and some friends from the States. I was just happy to take them out and show them what Alberta has to offer, plus it never hurts to keep the old boss happy. But I'm like Rick and seem to walk out of every fly shop with a few dozen and a few $ lighter so maybe I should start guiding to feed my habit LOL.

Bad wording there, especially since I sure as hell ain't payin' ya! Nor is anyone paying me. We are just teaching fly fishing newby's how to fly fish. On some really nice water!

I was planning on having my son carry my flyboxes (there are A LOT of them) and shout "NO PICTURES PLEASE!!!" if anyone tries to take a picture during a cast. Then I'll back away, swear, glare at the offending relative, spit, and go back into my pre-cast routine.

I'm really going so I can sneak in and poach your fish. When I look back at all my years of fishing that moment sits near the top (Insert non gender specific pokey thing here)<--poke--<

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: