Fly Fusion Forums

Do Not Hike Down The Snaring

hiketofish

Here's a few more pictures. This is another of Harvey Lake.

p1010069un6.jpg

Flyfishing went like this for me. First place that looked fishy I cast out a big dry fly, I think a chernobyl ant. I waited patiently until a big rainbow emerged from the depths and then promptly broke me off. Then nothing for a while and then I watched as two fish cruised together in the shallows and I caught the smaller one. Unfortunately at the lake, you are very limited in back casting over much of the lake. I did okay flyfishing but would have loved to have fished it at a few select spots in the evening. Not really a destination you're going to bring a float tube to. There were definitely spots around the lake that you could flyfish quite easily. Here's the exit stream before it turns into a tight canyon with waterfalls. You could not help but catch a fish here every cast but they were all small. Good to see I suppose in an self-reproducing lake.

p1010073wt6.jpg

So I walked around the lake, doing some flyfishing, some spin fishing. I was a bit curious about this scat, more because of the color. If it was black, I would assume it was bear and it likely is but the color threw me off. Any Scat ID'ers out there? p1010064ic8.jpg

Hiking down the snaring (remember not a good idea) there are some real cliff sections. By cliff sections, I mean you have to climb way up and around and then way down to go like a couple hundred meters. Here's a couple of them looking down. Yes there are more than one of them.

p1010111rg4.jpg

p1010106br4.jpg

While you are hiking up above the cliffs, you may as well climb over a few trees. They were endless it seemed.

p1010095ij8.jpg

This is a good example of a cliff we decided to wade/swim. Didn't do this to the last day, I would actually make that choice again given the other option.

p1010114gs2.jpg

Lesson learned, will not hike down the Snaring again.

Awesome story and great pics Hiketofish. Your scat is that of a bear. It's just a little old and from the spring/early summer, when the bears are eating hedysarum and other vegetation to clean out the colon after a hard winters rest

• 14 years later...