Fly Fusion Forums

Nymph Setups

Guest FoamStoner

Guest Jeremie

How do you guys rig multi nymph set ups?

I've always done the bend to eye thing, but i never seem to be able to get fish on the first fly, im wondering if the fish are shying away from the tippet coming off the bend. Do any of you use the eye to eye method? How does that work for casting, im just afraid i'll be spending more time fighting tangles then actually fishing with the way the first fly would hinge on the cast.

And thingamabobbers, do you guys use the loop through the whole and around, or do you tie seperate pieces of line from leader-indicator-flies?

Just looking for some thoughts and variations i could try this weekend!

Thanks

How do you guys rig multi nymph set ups?

I've always done the bend to eye thing, but i never seem to be able to get fish on the first fly, im wondering if the fish are shying away from the tippet coming off the bend. Do any of you use the eye to eye method? How does that work for casting, im just afraid i'll be spending more time fighting tangles then actually fishing with the way the first fly would hinge on the cast.

And thingamabobbers, do you guys use the loop through the whole and around, or do you tie seperate pieces of line from leader-indicator-flies?

Just looking for some thoughts and variations i could try this weekend!

Thanks

I have done the eye to eye thing because of the theory that it is supposed to make the fly ride 'truer' in the water. I gotta say I've never noticed a difference in fishing one vs the other, and so since my eyes are getting old I avoid going through the eye as much as possible and just attach to the bend. I can't say I've ever noticed a difference in hookups on the top fly. I do have a theory that the middle fly (when I'm running 3) gets the least attention, but that could just be circumstantial.

I don't think the hinging eye to eye vs. bend to eye would make any appreciable difference to tangles (but some real casting pros, which I am certainly not, may have a different/better theory on that). I actually think once you get the hang of opening your loop up a bit when casting heavy (and right now in the height of stone nymph season you will be casting heavy rigs) setups, the tangles seem to magically go away.

I loop thingamabobbers. I go through a few leaders that way because of the kinks, but it allows me to change my depth easily. And I change my depth a lot.

I used to tie to the bend, but with some of the cheaper flies/hooks (that are purchased online or from local discount shops) the hook bends out quicker if you get snagged up or have a bigger fish on... With the exception of SJWs or large streamer hooks I now tie eye to eye!

An SJW (or streamer) is always my point fly and I do hook fish with it... Not so much with the middle fly, though...

P

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

never had a problem with bend to eye. less wind knots when all your flies are in parallel series. i have NEVER had the fist fly's bend break when a fish hits the lower (even with whose sale sports flys, so you dont need to waist more money on over priced flys)

It all depends on what I am throwing.

For example if I am going, sjw, leech, copper john, I diffently go from the hook bend on the sjw to the leech then eye to eye for the next one.

If I do something like SJW, caddis larva, then copper john I go to hook bends on everything.

It all comes down to the type of presentation you want to accoplish, or what type of flies you are tossin (This is my option and seems to work great for me)

With sloppy casting you will always run into the problem of tangles regardless to weather they are from eye to eye or from the hook bend.

I tie an inline perfection loop for the top one and then a short snell to the fly. I am so old school...me and my neoprenes

Either that or cheep!!!! LOL, J/k

What I tell most people is that they need to find a way that wrks for them, alot of people think there is this magical thing they need to do but in reaility it mostly confidence and presentation.

Lots of ways to do it listed here, it all depends on the presentation I'm trying to achieve. With multiple nymphs or swinging and drifting wets i often go with short right angle droppers and sometimes dropper loops on the leader and snelled for the flies. Droppers will give you a better hookup but are trickier to tie and fish till you figure it out. Nymphing eye to bend works good but again it depends on the you want for a presentation. It depends on depth, and the type of water you are fishing. Indicators are nice for deep water or to suspend over structure or weeds on the drift, but try it without an indicator sometimes watching your line instead. Last season I watch from a pedestrian bridge a couple of good fly fishermen nymphing with large indicators. I could see the trout move aside as the indicator drifted over them, food for thought.

Try different things, I often see people using the same old rig over and over, very boring, then complain the fish aren't biting, Think of your presentation, where the fish is and how you will show your pattern in a natural way.

I've never tried the eye to eye method myself and lost too many flies using a cinch not to the bend. I started using my nail knot tool to tie nymph rigs. Its quick and I stopped having flies slip off the the point. 6 Wraps and there is enough surface tension to keep from sliding around too much. Its a very clean looking knot too and I will often catch on the top fly.

I can post pics if anyone's really interested. It's fast and efficient but, I don't see anyone else using a similar setup ever.

I've never tried the eye to eye method myself and lost too many flies using a cinch not to the bend. I started using my nail knot tool to tie nymph rigs. Its quick and I stopped having flies slip off the the point. 6 Wraps and there is enough surface tension to keep from sliding around too much. Its a very clean looking knot too and I will often catch on the top fly.

I can post pics if anyone's really interested. It's fast and efficient but, I don't see anyone else using a similar setup ever.

I'm more curious to see what it looks like and how it's done more than anything.....

I'm more curious to see what it looks like and how it's done more than anything.....

The Tool

dsc02429z.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Knot

dsc02430vr.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It takes me as long as any other knot and it's what I'm comfortable with. I will try the duncan loops one day just to compare but, I have confidence in this knot.

• 1 month later...