Fly Fusion Forums

Seeking Volunteers July 9th For Nature As A Second Language: Fishing With New Canadians

Anyone that might be interested (A buddy that works for AB Tourism forwarded this to me):

>From: Nature Language <nature.language@gov.ab.ca>

>Date: June 29, 2011 12:40:38 PM MDT (CA)

>To: Nature Language <nature.language@gov.ab.ca>

>Subject: Seeking Volunteers July 9th for Nature as a Second Language: Fishing with New Canadians

>

>VOLUNTEER FISHING OPPORTUNITY

>The Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation Nature as a Second Language Initiative is seeking volunteers to help with Free Fishing Weekend, July 9th.

>

>Are an angler? Do you want to help others get into the sport? Nature as a Second Language needs volunteers to help with Free Fishing Day, July 9th at Allen Bill Day Use in the Elbow Valley of Kananaskis to help new Canadians learn to fish in Alberta. We need help to organize participants, set rods and reels, untangle fishing lines, and tell fish stories. We are also seeking donations of old rods and tackle to lend new Canadians.The poster is attached. The event runs from 10am to 3pm at Allan Bill Day use, and I’m looking for a few people who could help out as:

>

>If you are interested and available from 9:30 to 3:30 (or part of the day) please contact nature.language@gov.ab.ca as soon as possible. I can provide limited rides from Canmore/Bow Valley. You don’t need a valid fishing license, as it’s free fishing weekend, but if you do have one please bring it so people can ask where you got it, how much it cost etc.

>

>If you know someone who is an experienced angler, please forward this message to them. And please distribute this opportunity among your volunteers – stewards, ambassadors, etc.

>

>If you don’t know where Allan Bill Pond is, directions to the location are at the following link:

>http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=calgary&daddr=Allen+Bill+Pond&geocode=%3BFRauCAMdIvcp-SG23VCjEah86g&hl=en&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=51.055149,-114.21693&sspn=0.64741,0.999756&ie=UTF8&ll=50.994743,-114.375916&spn=0.648255,0.999756&t=h&z=10

>

>Thanks,

>

>Don

>

>

>Don Carruthers Den Hoed

>Inclusion and Collaboration Team Leader

>Kananaskis Country

>Parks Division

>Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation

>

>(: Phone 403-678-5508

> (toll-free by dialing 310-0000 first)

>Ê: Fax: 403-678-5505

>*: don.denhoed@gov.ab.ca

>

>www.Kananaskis-Country.ca

>www.albertaparks.ca/pushtoopen

>www.albertaparks.ca/naturelanguage

>

>"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

> ~ Theodore Roosevelt

this is a great program but I wish they would do it somewhere we could teach them to C&R instead of bait a hook and bonk fish (allen bill pond). If it was somewhere I could put my heart into it I might be interested. As it stands I can't do it and I am sure I am not the only one feeling that way.

EDIT: this doesn't mean I don't support fully this kind of activity if it was going to be done in a manner displaying more of the ethics of fishing and respect for nature, etc. Maybe I have it all wrong, but to me it just sounds like trying to get people to catch fish from a stocked pond and take them home to eat. My fear is they will think that is the way it is everywhere, and end up being the same people on the banks of the Bow that we complain about now...

this is a great program but I wish they would do it somewhere we could teach them to C&R instead of bait a hook and bonk fish (allen bill pond). If it was somewhere I could put my heart into it I might be interested. As it stands I can't do it and I am sure I am not the only one feeling that way.

EDIT: this doesn't mean I don't support fully this kind of activity if it was going to be done in a manner displaying more of the ethics of fishing and respect for nature, etc. Maybe I have it all wrong, but to me it just sounds like trying to get people to catch fish from a stocked pond and take them home to eat. My fear is they will think that is the way it is everywhere, and end up being the same people on the banks of the Bow that we complain about now...

I concure with Brian

x2 . I for one would like to see a fishing course for first timer's , Focused on the C&R and safe handling of fish as well as species identification. This is a great idea , and will volunteer my time , but in that manner . Unless that part is covered I will help anyhow I may..

Thanks for the compliment Brian, but I am not able to do this and had the same concerns all of you had... I do think that you should point these concerns out to the organizer as maybe they didn't realize that people had these concerns... I have replied to my buddy that forwarded this to me to pass along to the organizers...

Have a great weekend all! Deb and I are off to fish the Adams!!

P

Peter I don't think anyone's shooting you down your a top notch guy who spends a lot of time doing things like this. I think we're just concerned about the content of the message my friend! :)

cheers.

I guess I missed the part of the email where it says you have to show them how to put a worm on a hook and bonk any fish caught. No reason you couldn't volunteer, bring your fly rod, and pass on the C&R ethic. This is a volunteer thing - they can't fire you if you go "off script". I'd volunteer myself and do this but I already have commitments that weekend.

Good point Marc.

maybe if a small group of fly anglers could go that would be pretty proactive move (anyone from the Hook and hackle club interested?)!

P

I guess I missed the part of the email where it says you have to show them how to put a worm on a hook and bonk any fish caught. No reason you couldn't volunteer, bring your fly rod, and pass on the C&R ethic. This is a volunteer thing - they can't fire you if you go "off script". I'd volunteer myself and do this but I already have commitments that weekend.

Yeah , .. proactiveness is key ! Headscan that sounds like a great idea !! I'm going to get ahold of them and see if I may help . Uber..kudos for the activeness in Saving the Castle , and this ( since ive been on here) I remember ! Its great to have someone in the know , to help bring awareness .

Exactly what I was going to say Marc. And my bet is nobody would say a word to you for going "off script". I would have no trouble showing them how to worm a hook and bonk a fish on a put and take lake. You need to get people interested in the sport first, and put and take lakes are a great resource for that. But I would also without a doubt spend much more time explaining the C&R ethic and why it is so important on our flowing waters and on many of our lakes as well. And telling fish stories. And generally just sharing a passion for the sport.

I don't think I can volunteer for this, but if I can figure out a way to jiggle my schedule that weekend, I will. I think it is a fantastic teaching opportunity.

"You need to get people interested in the sport first, and put and take lakes are a great resource for that."

If I owned a fly shop or worked in the fly fishing industry I would "need this" as it effects the future growth of the industry. Otherwise, a fly fishing enthusiast, and the rivers and lakes he/she frequents can do just fine without the added fishing pressure.

There is no other reason to grow the number of anglers in this province OMHO, however there is an incredible need to edumacate the thousands of dummies out there who already fish.

:ridemcowboy:

KF, I think nothing would be better than growing the number of anglers. I'm pretty sure I can bring you around to my way of thinking on some small central Alberta river or Kootenay cuttie stream sometime this summer!

The number of licensed anglers in Alberta has been declining over the last several years according to Gord Kennedy. Any increase in anglers is perception and not reality. And since so many people complain about new Canadians not knowing the regs, something like this is a great idea to teach people.

Ok here is the response , if anyone is interested.....

Hello Jonathan:

You had called on Thursday last week, indicating you were interested in helping with the Free Fishing program and we have added your name to the volunteer list. As well, here is some information for you on the Nature Language program for New Canadians taking place this Saturday, July 9th at Allen Bill Day Use in the Elbow Valley of Kananaskis to help new Canadians learn to fish in Alberta.

We need help to organize participants, set rods and reels, untangle fishing lines, and tell fish stories. The event runs from 10am to 3pm at Allan Bill Day use, and please arrive in the morning at 9:30 am if you are able. You may volunteer for the whole day or part of the day.

The schedule is ongoing with arrival of the morning group at 10:15 and the afternoon group at 1:00 pm.

You do not need a fishing license this day but if you have your own fishing equipment please bring it. We will be providing fishing rods for participants. We are also seeking donations of fishing and camping equipment for the Nature Language programs.

Here are the things you should bring for the day:

Outdoor clothing for rain or shine – mountain weather can change quickly. A hat is very important.

Water and a lunch or snacks for yourself. There are no grocery stores

The trip to Allen Bill should take between 30 and 40 minutes from the west side of Calgary.

(Transportation is not provided).

Here are directions to the location at the following link.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=...mp;t=h&z=10

And there a map of the valley here:

http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kananaskis...lbow_Valley.pdf

Finally, you can learn more about Nature as a Second Language and Alberta Parks at this website: www.albertaparks.ca/naturelanguage

Best regards,

Alison, Heather and Don

Nature as a Second Language

Kananaskis Country

Parks Division

Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation

(: Phone 403-678-5508

(toll-free by dialing 310-0000 first)

Ê: Fax: 403-678-5505