Fly Fusion Forums

Deodorize Your Flies!

soggysocks63

Ok, so I add this thread since I don't see anything around on this topic. So from a beginner to other beginners DO IT! It honestly makes a huge impact on your fishing. If your fingers touch that fly it needs to be cleaned!!!

I carry a little baggie in my pocket with a handful of soil. I will drop my fly in the bag and pinch and roll the fly from the outside of the bag. It's best to use the soil around the lake/river bed as it should be the most neutral scent in that body of water. I wouldn't use the bed soil if it had the consistency of pudding though. It would be best to find something close on the shoreline. In my mind the abrasion in the soil helps the process.

I tried that. The test of time convinced me that it made very little, if any difference. I know a few old timers who quit smoking, and swear their numbers went way down. But most people figure the smell of cigarettes will drive fish to the other bank. But who am I to say? To quote the movie "Demon Knight", if it makes you feel good, do it.

If I can catch a trout on a dryfly with a 20lb test leader, you don't need to deodorize *hit.

Well I wouldn't say it "needs" to be done. You'll always catch without it. I just can't shake the feeling that maybe the fish of a thousand casts came up to my fly and turned it down because it picked up a bad odor. Always that "what if" feeling? They say scent is a large part of the game so I play into that.

When I am the only catching out on a lake though I can't help but feel I am doing something right.

But like Junior saying if it makes you feel good do it! Fishing with confidence helps.

Well I wouldn't say it "needs" to be done. You'll always catch without it. I just can't shake the feeling that maybe the fish of a thousand casts came up to my fly and turned it down because it picked up a bad odor. Always that "what if" feeling? They say scent is a large part of the game so I play into that.

When I am the only catching out on a lake though I can't help but feel I am doing something right.

But like Junior saying if it makes you feel good do it! Fishing with confidence helps.

When I head out to the mountains fishing I never shower or use any deodorant that day. So I hear what you are saying. The minute you put floatant on your dry flies all this deodorizing goes out the window. It's all in the presentation. If the fish aren't hitting it I'd suspect it has more to do with sizing of the fly.

• 2 weeks later...

soggysocks is bang on with his advice.

Outdoorsmen for eons have understood that scents [ or the lack of them] is critical to success. Trappers use a host of products for scent attaraction see: http://www.longcreektrappingsupplies.com/i...t=2a&page=1

Cabellas lists 218 products for scent control.

Rubbing with dirt is just a touch along the way to what bow hunters go through to mask their odors.

I'm not sure that odor control is all that big an issue with dries. Nymphs in slow water, probably, in stillwater clearly.

Stinky bugs don't do as well.

Don

• 1 month later...
Ok, so I add this thread since I don't see anything around on this topic. So from a beginner to other beginners DO IT! It honestly makes a huge impact on your fishing. If your fingers touch that fly it needs to be cleaned!!!

I carry a little baggie in my pocket with a handful of soil. I will drop my fly in the bag and pinch and roll the fly from the outside of the bag. It's best to use the soil around the lake/river bed as it should be the most neutral scent in that body of water. I wouldn't use the bed soil if it had the consistency of pudding though. It would be best to find something close on the shoreline. In my mind the abrasion in the soil helps the process.

I have to like your ingenuity...hey if it seems to work for ya, sounds like a great idea, cheers.