Fly Fusion Forums

Drifting To Fish Thru Calgary (weir)

have they removed the rope? I wanna do it but I think I'm going to take the right side (facing downstream) first though...... I'm 100% going to be wearing my PFD maybe 2 and I won't be taking anyone in the boat when I do it.

have they removed the rope? I wanna do it but I think I'm going to take the right side (facing downstream) first though...... I'm 100% going to be wearing my PFD maybe 2 and I won't be taking anyone in the boat when I do it.

I think the rope is now raised a few feet. It is law in the city to have to wear a pfd, but thru that water, it is a must. I considered 1 person w me, likely at the back.

It looks like there is a slower area on the south side of the river.

Just a series of 5 or 6 small drops (2ft or so)

I believe they have removed the rope, I don't recall seeing it but I'm not 100% on that.

From what I saw last Sunday I think anyone in a driftboat could do it no problem, in a pontoon.... you would want your stuff secured and be paying attention.

I think I'll try it when the water levels go down a bit. ;)

The official word to date from the city of Calgary. I know you will be fined if caught.

The project is not finished and is not safe - the river will not be open to the public until after all construction is complete and its performance has been thoroughly tested and approved. Do not attempt to "pre-test" any of the features!

Once testing is done it will soon be given the seal of approval and open to the public. You should be riding the waves by August! From what I gather from phone discussions, the fishing regulations will be the same as if the weir was in place

I drove past the other day and thought to myself that it would be doable in a drift boat. The weir will be tame by comparison to some of the stuff people run in other places.

With that said, PFD and common sense should be used.

Andrew

I don't know what a drift boat is but I white water kayak and it's not the wier itself that's the tricky one. The one we've dubbed "The Condom Catcher" is big and sticky. All I can say is hit it with a lot of speed and hold on!! Other than this high water stuff it's pretty tame, maybe even fun. Careful as the concrete is a little shallow in spots.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

all those spots or shooter runs, i would do it in the water with just a PFD. I dont know what every one is worried about the widow maker on the K river is more dangerous and they chuck hundreds or army men/women in every year and they all pop right back up, even i have done it.

but i will be waiting for high water to go down before i play in it

prior to the wier reconstruction, it would grab and chew anything that went over it, and certainly not tug, spit, lanuch it out. well not until it was completely crushed, mashed, torn and evicerated and then spat out for fish food. many a summer rafters who ignored the river signs and rope barricade have never been found. the undertow is strong and basically cuisenarts every thing. not an experience i would recommend in a $50 canadian tire rubber raft.

i am definately looking forward to post construction improvements in safety and driftability. Bowness to 17th will be an interesting drift.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i dont think there is much underpull now that there are 2 big chuncks missing out of the weir. but i cant wait to see it fully finnished.