Fly Fusion Forums

Cleaning A Smelly Fishing Net?

Hey, does anyone have any tips on how to clean a smelly fishing net. It is made of wood and fine black mesh, it is only a little over a year old but seams to have accumulated the smell of the many species i have caught. The worst seaming to be whitefish and suckers.

Thanks all,

Troutfisher01

Firstly, don't net suckers or whitefish. Secondly, nets are SUPPOSE to smell like fish!

Ya, your gonna wash the mojo off!!! Just like cleaning your pocket knife, most likely it will be lost shortly after cleaning it.

Ok, so ive changed my mind, the fear of upsetting the fish gods has gotten to me. The net stays the way it is, fishy smell and all. Ill just have to wait till it starts to fall apart until I get a new rubber net. The fish gods gave me a fright last year after i just bought the net. I was fishing the Livingstone and had just released a nice cutt, not realizing i had left the net to float downriver until i had hooked another fish. Luckily i noticed someone fishing below me and recognized him as my neighbor camping next to me, so i stopped by his campsite and was re-leaved to hear he picked it up when he saw it floating down to him. Now i keep it on a zinger and a clip on my vest so it is always secured to me even while landing a fish.

Thanks for the responses everyone,

But... if you aren't catching many or large trout cleaning you net and equipment is essential. Often you will pick up an evil water sprite or water witch (you can tell by the smell). Both will give you evil luck keeping away the friendly fish gods if you don't clean them off your equipment.

But... if you aren't catching many or large trout cleaning you net and equipment is essential. Often you will pick up an evil water sprite or water witch (you can tell by the smell). Both will give you evil luck keeping away the friendly fish gods if you don't clean them off your equipment.

Now that's just crazy talk Doc!