Fly Fusion Forums

Official 2011 Streamwatch Auction Round 2

reevesr1

Welcome fellow anglers...

In 2008, Alberta Stream Watch was expanded to include a Stream Watch Officer in the foothills of S.W. Alberta. (for those of you unfamiliar with Stream Watch please visit: Alberta Stream Watch

After a successful first year in 2008, the program ran again in 2009 and 2010 and many of you who fished the Oldman/Livingstone area last summer may have had a chance to meet our Stream Watch Conservation Officer, Jeff Cox, who initiated numerous angler interactions and made a significant impact on awareness of stewardship and angling regulations in the area. Please visit Stream Watch Annual Report to see the annual report. You may have also noted the new signage in the area.

It's now time again to start our donations drive for Stream Watch 2011 Stream Watch relies on donations from corporations and individuals to fund it's efforts. A good part of the success in our fund raising for the past two years was the result of the Fly Fish Calgary Online Auction, thanks to the generosity of donors and bidders alike. For 2011, Rick Reeves, (rickr) will co-ordinate the Auction, collecting donations and compiling bids. Last year, this auction raised over $8000.00. Rick would really like to surpass the total raised when toolman ran this auction, when in 2008 he raised over $10,000. Now that the economy is beginning to hum along again, hopefully this auction will follow suit!

Here is a copy of the highlights of Streamwatch in 2010:

I know Stream Watch can count on your continuing support through the Auction and if possible, please consider supporting Stream Watch through an individual or corporate donation. Also, if you know of potential corporate or individual donors that we should contact, please let me know and I'll make sure that happens.

Thank you,

Al Caldwell

Auction Guidelines:

You can post your bids on this thread or make a silent bid by sending rickr a pm. When bids for any of the items listed have reached a reasonable offer (met or exceeded market value) and/or, have been posted for a period of time with no new bids forthcoming, we will announce a Closing Notice with a closing date/time for the item.

All payments for items are expected to be honored within 10 days of the items closing date. Payment details, including acceptable methods of payments, mailing address and contact information, are explained at the bottom of this page.

Your support is greatly appreciated and thanks to all who have already donated generously.

Now lets have some fun....Let the bidding begin...

********************************************************************************

Payments can be made by cheque or credit card. Cheques should be made payable to "Trout Unlimited Canada." Send all cheques for donations and payment for auction items, to:

Trout Unlimited Canada

Ste. 160, 6712 Fisher St. S.E.

Calgary, AB, T2H 2A7

Attn: Kimberly Davidson

Memo note: Please mark all cheque payments "Alberta Stream Watch". Please indicate your Auction item # on your payment or mark Donation.

T.U.C. does not use PayPal, but will accept all major Credit Cards.

To pay for an auction item or make a donation with a Credit Card, contact Kimberly Davidson, Trout Unlimited Canada in Calgary, @ 403-221-8360. Make sure to mention that your payment is for a donation or for an Auction Item for Alberta Streamwatch and for an auction items be sure to give her the Auction Item # you are paying for..

If you have purchased an auction item and completed payment, we will notify the member who has donated the item/service.

The buyer should then contact the member via pm or phone to make arrangements to receive their goods/services.

Special thanks to our 2011 Stream Watch Corporate Partners. Also, thanks to Fly Fish Calgary for continuing to allow us to run this auction on their site.

A full list of sponsors can be seen here:

Current Stream Watch Sponsors

I would also like to thank toolman for doing this the first two years and giving me a template to steal, and of course to Al for organizing this whole thing! So lets get going:

********************************************************************************

2011 Streamwatch Auction Items

13. Fly Fishing Desktop Wallpapers - $4 each (singles) or 5 for $15 (multipacks) donated by sirocco

More from Eric

I photographed nearly all of the photos for the TFO Canada website. My work has appeared in Singletrack mountain biking magazine, Travel Photographer of The Year's Journey Two book, and one of my pieces resides in the permanent collection of the Steamwhistle Art Gallery in Toronto.

In an effort to support Stream Watch on a long term basis, I decided to turn the photos on the TFO website into downloadable desktop wallpapers. These will be available year-round and will be updated periodically. Although these are purchased through the TFO site, 100% of the proceeds go to Stream Watch. The first donation will go directly to Stream Watch at the end of the FFC Auction, so buy early and often!

Browse the wallpapers here: Wallpaper Site

Please note these are not suitable for printing. If you have any questions please e-mail me at: erik@templeforkoutfitters.ca

From Rick: As these wallpapers can be purchased directly from TFO, via the link above, there is no reason to bid. But if you do buy some, go ahead and say so on the auction thread. Please help Erik and TFO support Streamwatch!

14. Stillwater Fishing School donated and Hosted by by Bloom

More from Tim:

Spend a day on the water learning how to catch Stillwater Rainbows in Southern Alberta. This trip will cover reading lakes in Southern Alberta, floating line and sinking techniques, food source availability, how to ‘match the hatch’ and other tips and tricks that you can apply to lakes. The day will be spent on Bullshead Reservoir in Southern Alberta.

This is not a guided trip, but an opportunity to learn some strategies that are affective on our pothole lakes and then apply them while fishing on Bullshead. All liability will be assumed by the participant. Equipment can be provided if needed.

Maximum of three anglers and the date is currently set for June 18, 2011

More from Rick:

I will supply the transportation for this trip, from Calgary. We are going to run this a bit different. We are taking 3 anglers, so the top three bids when the auction ends will get to go. You can team up with a friend or friends if you like. If so, please specify how many you are bidding for. As this is for 3 bidders, I will run this auction for longer than normal.

Winning Bid 1:$200 ruff

Winning Bid 2:$125 Palemorningdunce

Winning Bid 3:$100 biggyj

Auction Closed

15. SPRINGCREEK BROWNS! donated and hosted by fishpro

More info from Dustin:

"Spend a day crouching through willows and hunting for snouts on a slow flowing brown trout stream. The browns in here are numerous, but can challenge any angler. Yet on some days everything works out right and double digits can be caught. Most fish are in the 10-17 inch range but last year's auction winner landed a 19 incher out of a deep corner pool.

Dry fly fishing will pick up around the middle of June and be consistent through to the end of August. Stream is located about 1 hour NW of Calgary, exact location will be revealed to the winning bidder.

This trip is for 1-3 anglers, the stream is small and perfectly suited to one angler but can easily be shared by more than one person by alternating pools."

Winning Bid:$300 FNG

Auction Closed

16. Bucket List Golden Trout Aug 7 and 8 donated and Hosted by by fishpro

More from Dustin:

One day of fishing for Golden Trout on Barnaby Lakes. I am not a guide but have been to the lakes a few times and have successfully landed fish each time I was there. I know the trail and some effective flies that I can provide suggestions on before we go. This auction is for up to 3 anglers, you can bid on one, two, or all three spots of the trip. I will be fishing with participants on this trip.

Logistics: I will provide the transportation from Calgary. I will have room for three others in my car, although it may be a little crammed. We will meet the evening of Aug 7 and drive down to the trailhead so that we can get an early start on the trail the next morning. I will be sleeping in my car or pitching a tent, all winning bidders will need to either bring a tent and sleeping bag or drive down in their own vehicle.

Note: The hike to the lakes is about a 2.5-3 hour up hill hike and participants will need to be in good physical condition for this trip. Please be prepared for all mountain weather and situations. All liability will be assumed by the participants.

053gd.jpg

From Rick:

This trip is for 3 people. Like the Bullhead seminar action, top 3 bidders will get to go on this.

Current Bid 1:$ 50 hawgstoppah

Current Bid 2:$50 gustuphson

Current Bid 3:

17. "MAX's BOW WALK & WADE" With your host/guide Max Robinson

More from Max:

"full day, will take out 1 or 2 anglers on the bow and teach yall a ton of stuff!!!! slay a few fish too!!! bring your lunches rods reels lines, i got the flies and any other terminal tackle!!!!!".

From Rick: While this trip is great for anyone of any skill level, I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone just starting out Fly Fishing or fishing the Bow. This is like concentrated classroom time, 'cept you get to catch fish!

Winning Bid:$225 GrnDrake

Auction Closed

18. "24 LB OF SHRIMP" Donated by Joey's Seafood Restaurants

This is one case of Shrimp in 6, 4 lb blocks, 35 shrimp per lb, peeled and ready to go. Retail value of $192.00. Thanks to James (simpson) for this donation, and

Joey's Seafood Restaurants (Headoffice)

514 - 42 Ave SE

Calgary

Winning Bid:$150 troutsteaks

Auction Closed

19. 24 Bow River and SW Alberta Flies tied and donated by pipes

More info from pipes:

"I will offer up two dozen of my personal favorite flies used on the Bow and south west streams. These will be a combination of dry fly, emerger and nymph patterns tied by yours truly. These flies have been proven to catch big fish, small fish, whitefish, rocks, trees, stumps and the occasional flyfisherman."

A note from Rick:One of the most asked questions on the forum is "what fly do I use?" Auctions like this are an excellent opportunity for anglers to get great ideas on what works from a long time angler!

Winning Bid:$70 brndawg

Auction Closed

20. Fly Fishing Boot Camp donated by Hanson's Outfitters

Since 2005 Hanson’s has been providing a full service and fully interactive Fly Fishing Boot Camp with over 3000 graduates of this very informative one day course.

The course is held at our River House on the Bow, just south of the city limits of Calgary just off of Dunbow Road and just north of Policeman’s Flats. The River House, located on the banks of the Bow River is absolutely the perfect setting for the Fly Fishing Boot Camp.

There is no set curriculum or old fashioned classroom-textbook section to our fly fishing Boot Camp; it is an interactive, non intimidating new school approach to teaching the sport of Fly Fishing. The river is our classroom.

Included in the winning bid is a complete fly fishing four piece rod, reel and line to go home with you and most importantly you know how to use it when the camp is finished. The retail value of the package is over $300.00, so you're getting the Fly Fishing package, the six and a half hour Fly Fishing Boot Camp and everything else for that day.

The course covers fly casting, the mechanics of the fly cast, entomology, knots, leaders, fly lines, reading the water and on the water instruction and even lunch...

The Boot Camps are held every Sunday excluding long weekends from April through October. If the date you have chosen for whatever reason does not work for you then you can be added to any future dates.

Knowledge and confidence is what you will leave with; this is our promise to you...

Note from Rick:

I first took this boot camp 5 years ago when I wanted to learn to fly fish. I can honestly say Wayne and Trevor helped get me hooked on fly fishing. I brought my son to a boot camp not long after, and he was hooked as well. We used the rods we got at the boot camps for several seasons, they are excellent rods for the beginner and will serve the new angler well for quite some time. I now help Wayne, Trevor, and Brenda with the boot camps a few times a year when they need a hand. I have told them I will work the day the winning bidder selects. This is a fantastic deal for a new (or newish) fisherman, or as a gift to someone you want to get started. Thanks to Wayne and Trevor for the donation!

The first 6 dates this year are:

Sunday, April 3rd, 2011

Sunday, April 10th, 2011

Sunday, April 17th, 2011

Sunday, May 1st, 2011

Sunday, May 8th, 2011

Sunday, May 15th, 2011

Here is a link to Wayne's website, the boot camp, and the river house:

Hanson's Outfitters

Fly Fishing Boot Camp

The River House, the "Trout Hotel"

Winning Bid:$200 murray

Auction Closed

21. TFO Signature Spey 14'0” 8/9wt + Universal Rod & Reel Casedonated by TFO Canada

More info from Erik (sirocco):

"The TFO Signature Spey was designed by Chris Seipio specifically for west coast rivers. This rod is suited to all levels of casting but excels in the hands of beginners who are just getting into steelheading. For full details and to see line recommendations, check out: http://templeforkoutfitters.ca/fly-rods/16-signature-spey

In addition to the rod, we are also including one of our new Universal Rod & Reel Cases to make it a package. These cases easily fit a full size spey reel. You can check them out at: Universal Rod and Reel Cases

If you have any questions, please e-mail me directly: erik@templeforkoutfitters.ca

Thank you very much to Erik and TFO for the donation. Retail of the rod and case is over $400!

Winning Bid:$175 BiggyJ

Auction Closed

22. SOUTHERN ALBERTA WALK AND WADE with your host/guide Hawgstoppah

More from Brian:

Walk and wade on a southern alberta river with Brian for a full day (be prepared for a FULL day). Chances at huge browns, huge rainbows, huge bulls (depending on the location chosen, which will be one of two rivers discussed by the winning bidder and Brian), this is a trip to those streams tucked away in the southwest corner of alberta that you hear rumblings about, but never REALLY hear about. This is meant to be a fun trip and for a good cause, so I will be doing some fishing too... of course the winner will get the very best holes though, as well as instruction if needed, but the main goal will be to have fun, catch a few big fish, and learn a new river that the winner can enjoy for years to come.

Trip is for 1 or 2 people

Trip will take place around my work schedule for the summer depending on what job I can find. We should try for a weekday, but it may have to be a saturday or a sunday, but don't worry there are places we can go to get away from any crowd.

From Rick: I've had the pleasure of fishing with Brian several times in the past few years. I can promise you one hell of a trip!

Winning Bid:$400 cheeler

Auction Closed

23.Lake Summerside Hunt for Hawgs – June 4th or June 5th , 2011 donated and hosted bySmitty

More info from (smitty):

"This will be a full day of fishing on Edmonton’s version of Lake Sundance. Summerside Lake is stocked with rainbow trout; some of them have pushed close to 9lbs. This trip will take place between June 4th or 5th, 2011. Last year June was incredible month with fish not being very picky. Thirty fish days are possible (maybe more). I will supply lunch, and, if necessary, enough equipment (rods, reels, and flies) including watercraft (I have a 4-man inflatable, canoe, pontoon boat, and float tube). You supply your own transportation to the lake. I am not a guide; it’s an opportunity just to get some access to some fast and furious stillwater action.

This is a trip for 2 anglers, so the top 2 bids will win. (Note: I am planning to fish both days, so the 2 anglers don’t necessarily have to coordinate the days, whatever works, but that’s the weekend)."

Current Bid 1:$50 BBT

Current Bid 2:

24.Athabasca Rainbow and Grayling Safari – August 13th-14th , 2011 donated and hosted by Smitty

Join Smitty on a 2 day weekend adventure August 13th–14th in pursuit of the jewel of the Hinton-Grande Cache foothills - the Athabascan rainbow trout. What they lack in size they make up in beauty. Specific locations highly dependent on pre-trip scouting, but we’ll probably end up somewhere north of Hinton, south of Grande Cache.

I can supply equipment if necessary; you provide your own transportation, food, and accommodation (we may camp or motel it). Be prepared for some walking, long days, and catching just a ton of fish. If we’re lucky, we may run into the odd bull trout lurking in the deep pools. Our primary target will be the rainbow trout, but usually you can’t help but catch a few grayling, hence the title.

So if you’ve ever wondered about catching those lovely, unique Athabascan rainbows, well, here’s your chance. Again, I am not a guide, just a flyfishing addict whose fished these creeks for 2+ decades.

This is a trip for 1 bidder plus a guest. Top bid will win, if the winner doesn’t want to use the guest spot, I will let the next highest bids in order have their shot.

Winning bid:$225 keith

Auction Closed

25. Thomas the Train at Heritage Park donated bygustuphson

More info from Angus:

"I've got 4 tickets to Thomas the Train at Heritage Park - a good idea for the avid angler to put in some family time before the season gets fully underway. The tickets are for the 9:00 AM train ride on May 8th which should ensure the full crowds aren't yet there and nap time, if applicable isn't in the way. More information can be found at:

http://www.heritagepark.ca/DOWT2011/main.html

REMINDER DADS: May 8th is also Mothers Day - send your wife to the spa, take the kids (or kid with a buddy and his) to Heritage Park and you'll probably find a trip to Kamatchka in your stocking at Christmas.

"

Note from Rick: I get to go to a LOT of golf tournaments, fishing events, etc. with draw prizes. I always try to make sure that if there is something my wife would like, I get that, regardless of relative value. That way, she lets me go to these events whenever I want. Same thing here, make the wife happy and more fishing trips are in your future. And you can sneak out for the Mother's Day Caddis Hatch that evening!

Winning Bid:$40 sanjuanworm

Auction Closed

26.Skeet and Snouts donated and hosted by gustuphson

More from Angus

I will host the successful bidder for four rounds of trap at the Calgary Firearms Club followed by some evening snout hunting on the Bow River (I am by no means an expert). A valid firearms license is not required for this excursion and professional advice may be available dependent on the timing. Safety goggles, ear protection, shotgun and shells will be provided. This is intended to be a Wednesday evening outing with the exact date to be determined.

Winning bid:$60 doctork

Auction Closed

27. The Bow River Fishing Mapbook created and donated bytightline

This auction will be for 1 of 3 copies of Tightline's new business first production, the Bow River Fishing Mapbook. As three copies are up for auction, top 3 bidders will win a copy.

More info from Sean:

"Produced by Tightlines Productions Ltd., the Bow River Fishing Mapbook is a waterproof booklet containing the following:

-Bow River from Calgary to Carseland Weir

-10 close up maps of the river

-Fishing access points, parking locations, boat launches

-Walking paths, major roadways

-Hatch chart and fly guide

-Chart of average Bow River flow rates

-Float chart (time and distance)

-Fishing log

The product will be back from the printers and available in stores around mid-June. MSRP will be $14.95, but this auction is for the first ones created!"

Winning Bid 1:$40 FNG

Winning Bid 2:$35 gustuphson

Winning Bid 3:$30 keith

Auction Closed

28. THE SCRATCH ANOTHER SPECIES OFF THE BUCKET LIST TRIP...DOLLY VARDEN EXCURSION with hostGustuphson

More info from Angus:

"I will take the successful bidder, once we agree on a date that works for both of us, to a lake where I've caught Dolly Varden (there are also some willing cutties and great views). I will provide transportation to and from Calgary, lunch and flies (I can provide the remaining equipment if necessary as well). I will carry in a belly boat for the successful bidder to use if they like (you will need to provide your own waders...). The hike is approximately 10 KM round trip and involves an elevation gain of about 1,000 ft - I would rate it a moderate hike and am not in good enough shape to carry anyone."

This auction was donated by fruincalgary, who won it last year and was unable to attend last year and does not think he can do it this year either. So Craig and Angus decided to put it back up for auction this year. I'm sure Streamwatch appreciates getting two donations for this one trip. Thanks guys!

Winning Bid:$75 foothills86

Auction Closed