Fly Fusion Forums

Bully Flies

Guest ArtVandelay

Guest JayVee

A search didn't reveal too many patterns for Bull trout. Are y'all keeping them secret? If you're inclined I'd like to see some pics or recipes. Double bunnies look fairly easy to tie - what colors are good? Thanks guys - here's hoping for some fly fishing weather this weekend.

All I do is tie rabbit strip leeches (Just the wrap of the rabbit strip - magnum strips works the best but can use the zonker strips) I also tie them on a #2 streamer hook and lead wrap it.

Even though I haven't caught a big bully yet I do fish with people that have and am told to use the following colors, white, black, and peach. I have tied some purple, green, yellow, and orange.

Hope that helps out some, when I get home from work I'll post some photo's.

Here are a few we use, in southern Alberta. Double Bunnies work as well and we usually tie them in a 4/0 with a #2 stinger or ready of a stinger. I drop down to a Bunny when the fishing is slow, otherwise we search the water with a 7inch fly.

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3192-1.jpg

Guest Dennis59

Garhan noticed that most of the stinger hooks are up is there a benefit to up or down with the stinger hooks.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

a few things I've learnt with bullie flys, all of these statements are experience driven:

sparse is better

Heavier is better

big bullies like other flys than just streamers

only one hook is needed and the smaller the better, the bully in my avatar was caught on a #6 Gamagatsu Octopus.

Bullies typically hit fish or fish imitations from the side, they mash them up in thier mouth then take them head first, therefor they tend to miss the first hook and hook up on the trailer when you set. To me having an additional hook can negatively impact the bullies.

Jayvee lets hook up and I ll show you how to tie the Matador

I've caught all my bigger bulls on double bunnies, but I've heard that Clousers work as well. Can anybody corroborate this? I've tied up a bunch of 3-4" Clousers with big lead eyes in combinations of white, chartruese, yellow, and black.

I love fishing for bulls, but I find that they are much more difficult to set the hook on than other trout. Any thoughts?

Here are a few we use, in southern Alberta. Double Bunnies work as well and we usually tie them in a 4/0 with a #2 stinger or ready of a stinger. I drop down to a Bunny when the fishing is slow, otherwise we search the water with a 7inch fly.

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3192-1.jpg

Garhan noticed that most of the stinger hooks are up is there a benefit to up or down with the stinger hooks.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

Hi Dennis,

There are several philosophies to this. First note that all these flies the stinger can be removed. I switch to a stinger or lack of a stinger based on the fishes general aggressiveness for the period, day or hours, etc.. Fish when feeding are different in behavioural patterns based on biological demands, Pre-Spwan, Spawn, Post Spawn, Pre Summer, Summer Peak, Summer, Post Summer, Fall turnover, Winter, etc.... These periods are based on environmental changes, or condition of a body of water. These periods vary in length and are not subject to a calendar period. i.e May, or September, and can be 10 days long to 90 days long or longer..Some ppl assume that the best time to fish is when the water temperature is at an optimum for a trouts metabolism, causing it to feed the most. We can assume most large trout are predator's based on requirement of larger solid foods to meet there daily nutrient intake (yes they will still eat smaller insect, etc..). When predator fish are usually eating the most is when the food is also the most plentiful. It doesnt always work that way. And a species preferred water temperature does not always indicate a time when the fish is easiest to catch. On the other hand adverse temperature does not always mean fish are hardest to catch. In fact, this is particularly true with late fall trout, which is often the best fishing on a body of water for the year (Backswimmer season). The available food supply, the timing of the feeding movements, overall population levels and competition, seasonal density of cover all play a role in angling success. The difference between the truly successful and unsuccessful flyfisherman often boils down to two things. Successful anglers notice the seasonal movements and probable response pattern of a trout to a fly. Fish are usually rated in there feeding behaviour or General Fish Mood as neutral, positive or negative. When I determine this general mood on a body of water or section of water. It will indicate to me when I should run a stinger. Trout when in a negative state often (especially Bullies) will hit a fly and just hold it. Often you do not even feel a tug. They will hold the fly for awhile at the mid section of the fly. If you don't notice this then you loose the the fish. This is where I use the stingers. If they are on a positive feeding behaviour then the stinger usually isn't necessary as they more often hit the fly in the head area.

As for the stinger being pointed up or down I would call that personal choice.

There is a lot more to this as well. We can discuss further if you like.

I've caught all my bigger bulls on double bunnies, but I've heard that Clousers work as well. Can anybody corroborate this? I've tied up a bunch of 3-4" Clousers with big lead eyes in combinations of white, chartruese, yellow, and black.

I love fishing for bulls, but I find that they are much more difficult to set the hook on than other trout. Any thoughts?

Stiffer rod maybe?

Very informative Garhan..most of the flies you have posted will take water-wolves quite readily, for those that don't know the term, they are Pike, and your colours are not as vibrant as what would use, example, the more bright colours posted by Bhurt...

..where as bright colours are a key for pike..are they the same for the Alberta Bull Trout ?

..maybe I'm wrong , but are you using the EP fiber to create Ur flies..the suggestion is the long thick fibers forming the wing..which seems to be standard in the over sized flies..

..also notice that you are creating epoxy heads on them..what is your opinion on the new 'fish heads- with stick on eyes'...and...are you putting lead wraps on the hook shanks prior to forming the body..

..just a few questions to get you to reveal more of the hidden secrets of creating flies for Bull Trouts.............Wolfie

Very informative Garhan..most of the flies you have posted will take water-wolves quite readily, for those that don't know the term, they are Pike, and your colours are not as vibrant as what would use, example, the more bright colours posted by Bhurt...

..where as bright colours are a key for pike..are they the same for the Alberta Bull Trout ?

..maybe I'm wrong , but are you using the EP fiber to create Ur flies..the suggestion is the long thick fibers forming the wing..which seems to be standard in the over sized flies..

..also notice that you are creating epoxy heads on them..what is your opinion on the new 'fish heads- with stick on eyes'...and...are you putting lead wraps on the hook shanks prior to forming the body..

..just a few questions to get you to reveal more of the hidden secrets of creating flies for Bull Trouts.............Wolfie

The water wolf is a predator that will hit just about anything that is big or small as long as he thinks it is prey. I guided the US air force staff out of Cold Lake during Maple Flag for many years, to fish Northern Pike on a flyrod. Usually we started guiding as soon as the ice came off the regional northern lakes. This would have been as early as the last week of April, but usually started around the first or second weekend of May and went to mid June. This is usually the post spawn and pre-summer period for the region.. At this time of year Pike are either in the Spawn Period or Post Spawn Period.This is a sum of 10 years of guiding those lakes.The colour variations I always felt that brighter flies on bright days worked better and darker patterns on overcast days or water that was so wind swept it had become murky. (General rule of thumb) Remembering that the general mood or behaviour changes during these calendar periods. During Pre-Spawn these fish are at the top of there cycle as far as health is concerned.Spawn is usually neutral even a negative in there behaviour and are usually striking out of being territorial but not consumed in eating larger meals. Post Spawn more often is an aggressive behaviour and the larger fish (hens) are feeding up to recover from the spawn. We usually found large hens cruising in and out of the shallow flats in 2-4 feet of water between 10:00 am and as late as 3:00 pm with many smaller males lurking about. As the season moves on the larger hens where caught in deeper water more consistently, say over 6 feet.

As for colours it varied with water clarity and light penetration.

I use now EP Fiber, Polar Bear Hair and SF Blends on the patterns trying usually to imitate the following prey species. Lake Suckers, Perch, and Cisco/ Tulibee. I try also to imitate the prey fish profile more than anything. Perch and Suckers have a larger or heavier frontal section and Tulibee or Cisco are more of a tube shape.

If I am fishing in 6 feet or less water I use a floating line and allow the fly to sink on its own. You can of course always weight the fly, but for this shallow a water I don't find it necessary. Many of the salt water style of tying techniques work extremely well on these flies.

As for the Bully Flys when I am trying to tie a fly for them I always ask myself what is the primary prey for the Bulls in this local water. Once again I try to target out at first the largest common prey they would encounter in there home water. Be it Whitefish, Grayling, Emerald Suckers, Red Horse Sucker, ( scuplins)smaller prey what ever you have. Then I look at profile and colour from that point in the design of the fly. An over looked colour variation would be a spawning male Red Horse Sucker with its bright red and black flanks. It pays to know the prey as well as we understand our entomology and the insect trout encounter and feed on.

You can use most of these flies on other species as well, such as Gerard Rainbows,Lake Trout, Bass, Walleye, Peacocks and Muskie.

But keep in mind I am no expert but I am consistent in catching both of these species as targeted fish.

• Like 1

..where as bright colours are a key for pike..are they the same for the Alberta Bull Trout ? They can be, but I believe the twist is more towards brighter natuarl shades like white and of course the flash from mylars, flashabou etc...it seems to make a significant difference on my home waters of the Athabasca.

..maybe I'm wrong , but are you using the EP fiber to create Ur flies..the suggestion is the long thick fibers forming the wing..which seems to be standard in the over sized flies.. Yes Ep Fibers, SF Blend and Polar Bear, but I tie it pointing forward and then pull it back and build a dam at the eye to keep it somewhat laid back. The saltwater tiers seem to run this technique a fair bit on there designs. It works well to keep the front of the profile fuller looking with the body tapered back and it seems to pulse more as the fly is moved through the water. By pulse I mean it opens and closes the fibres or breathes more. Hard to explain.

..also notice that you are creating epoxy heads on them..what is your opinion on the new 'fish heads- with stick on eyes'...and...are you putting lead wraps on the hook shanks prior to forming the body.. The new heads I'm not sure which heads you are speaking of. I haven't used to any of the new heads. The Tuffleye seems to work OK though. I will have to try them one day I guess. Sometimes as well I will put up to 30 wraps of .31 leadwire on the shanks if I am building a body from chenille or Mylar tubing.

No secrets here. You ask and I will answer the question the best way I can.

Wolfie, thank you for the response. I almost don't want to say to much, because it seems to offend some people here. But these question are directed to me and not to them, so here goes.

well, I just finished one that I think will do well with both fish..this fly was created with just two different materials, rabbit fur and marabou, and of course a new type of finish for me that is..Clear Cure Goo..I never use that tuffleye, for over time it does turn a yellowish colour [which I'm sure the fish don't mind]...anyway ur comments please.................Wolfie

20u1ggh.jpg

Plus I've tied a 'loop' of a bit of "Steelon" to the shank of the hook so that in the event that a stinger is required, I can put one on in minutes...

well, I just finished one that I think will do well with both fish..this fly was created with just two different materials, rabbit fur and marabou, and of course a new type of finish for me that is..Clear Cure Goo..I never use that tuffleye, for over time it does turn a yellowish colour [which I'm sure the fish don't mind]...anyway ur comments please.................Wolfie

20u1ggh.jpg

Plus I've tied a 'loop' of a bit of "Steelon" to the shank of the hook so that in the event that a stinger is required, I can put one on in minutes...

Wolfie , thank you for your comments.

I really like that fly and there is no doubt it will work very well on Northern Pike. I havnt used the Clear Cure Goo yet. There was an article I was reading on it and t sounds great. The Tuffeleye we have been using does discolour after a few weeks. Doesnt make it a bad product, it just discolours. Thats not as important here in the freshwater world to me, but would likely be more adverse in the flies for some salt water species. Being prepared to use a stingers is better than not having the ability when needed. Dont you think. It does take much to get it ready.

The new heads I'm not sure which heads you are speaking of. I haven't used to any of the new heads.

..here is a pic as to what I was talking about, they come in various colours, plus they contain a tab of stick on eyes with each pack..I personally just bought the smaller size, [in three colours], for I can control my casting to a certain size of fly without getting them in the back of my head sorta speaking..anyway..here's the pic..

2q1e9vb.jpg

..if I were you m8..I'd wait a bit on buying any of that goo, for they are coming out with a new 'goo' that doesn't have that sticky touch to it after wards..as it does now, as far as other material is concern in creating wings, but again it is Not a 4-7" fly but has taken quite a few hits is with Alpaca Fibre..which you tie in a loop, then brush it out/pick it out to make the long fibres wave in the current..it makes a good fly of 3 to 4, sometimes 5" fly..as in the next pic.......................AW

6srzid.jpg

this leech is around 4" long...

..here is a pic as to what I was talking about, they come in various colours, plus they contain a tab of stick on eyes with each pack..I personally just bought the smaller size, [in three colours], for I can control my casting to a certain size of fly without getting them in the back of my head sorta speaking..anyway..here's the pic..

2q1e9vb.jpg

..if I were you m8..I'd wait a bit on buying any of that goo, for they are coming out with a new 'goo' that doesn't have that sticky touch to it after wards..as it does now, as far as other material is concern in creating wings, but again it is Not a 4-7" fly but has taken quite a few hits is with Alpaca Fibre..which you tie in a loop, then brush it out/pick it out to make the long fibres wave in the current..it makes a good fly of 3 to 4, sometimes 5" fly..as in the next pic.......................AW

6srzid.jpg

this leech is around 4" long...

Oh those, I seen them at the LFS but didnt really look. On a different mission at the time. Looks good though, might have to try some out as well. I will hold off on the goop as well. Still have a fair bit of the Tuffleye still around, need to use that up first. Not to many Pike can resist a leech at any time of year, I would think.