Fly Fusion Forums

Saddle Hackle Price To Go Crazy

Ricinus

I guess the latest craze is saddle hackle woven in the hair. Better stock up but it might be too late.

http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2011/02/hai...r-hackle-m.html

Regards Mike

This is no joke. Stopped by Bass Pro last week to buy an anchor and saw 3 young ladies buying hackle at the fly shop. Thought "wow never seen many women fly fishers/tiers, and to see three so young all together?". When I got the the counter to buy my stuff I commented to the guy ringing me up "never seen female fly tiers, especially so young and in threes!". He said they don't tie flies, they were buying hackle to put in their hair. I thought he was joking.

Really hope that fad burns out fast. Seems like Whiting is jacking their prices and eliminating sales of full and half saddles because of the increased demand. Pulled from another board:

Dear Whiting Farms Customer,

Whiting Farms is experiencing an unprecedented onslaught of orders for our EuroHackle saddles. This is not just from the fashion world, but largely from the fly fishing pro shops that have new customers coming to them to buy our dry fly saddles for use in various fashion modes; hair weaves, ear rings, jewelry and crafts. This new traffic and business is welcome by the pro shops but we are faced with a real dilemma: orders vastly exceed supply! Understandably the shops that have put in orders to Whiting Farms, of any quantity, and are very keen to get them filled. But the number of saddles being ordered simply doesn’t exist. We wish we had as many saddles as everyone wanted. The crop of EuroHackle roosters to be harvested for 2011 is fixed and no changes can be made. Increases in production of this product line have and are being made, but the increasing numbers will be gradual and won't really be seen until 2012! Therefore we have been intensely pondering how we can most equitably allocate what saddles we do have coming to harvest in 2011.

The only fair way, I feel, is to divide and conquer. By this I mean we are going to disassemble our EuroHackle saddles and repackage them in a new product line called the "Whiting Fashion Pack". Sixteen long feathers of a single color will be affixed on our branded board, very much like our Whiting 100 Packs, but not sized as to hook size. The suggested retail price will be $20.00, which is a dealer price of $12.00. Therefore the margin to the shop will be their usual 40%. Most of the customers wanting these fashion feathers are wanting to experiment and so the smaller quantities will be welcome and more appropriate. The lower price point will encourage them to possibly buy a range of colors or several packs. A full or even half EuroHackle saddle is usually too many feathers of only one color for any hobbyist anyway.

In order to do this more fair allocation of our limited EuroHackle saddles we will have to cease selling full or half saddles as a product line. We are making an extra effort to keep our flagship Whiting dry fly saddles, and the new High and Dry saddles, in good stock to supply all the fly tier’s needs.

We appreciate your understanding of these needed changes.

Sincerely, Tom Whiting

If you're wondering what it looks like take a look at http://www.finefeatherheads.com/

What will happen is prices will rize. Then farmers will move into raising more birds to cash in on the high prices & demand. The fashion trend will be over 6-8 months from now, then the price will plunge when there is an over supply. Plan to stock up 8 - 12 months from now.

People say this is a fad, ha...

My grandfather on my mother's side raised game birds for years in southern alberta (In a little town called Grassy Lake) and he always had people buying feathers for jerewry, infact haven't the indians been using feathers for a long time.

infact haven't the indians been using feathers for a long time.

You douche, First of all:

-we prefer the term aborignals or first nations.... you know that makes you a second nation.... haha

-feathers weren't used for fashion, typically feathers worn in the hair everyday were to act as a sun shade.

I'm going to scalp you <--poke--<

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

quiet down jayhad, we won the war!! your lucky they didnt go conquistador on them!

but back on topic, that blond in the vid is cute lol.

Guest pacres

It's been in California for quite a while, but it's spreading quickly. Did anyone happen to see the hatches post about the dress made out of genetic hackle? http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2...tm_campaign=3-9 As for farmers coming in and setting up shop, it's not easy to get these chickens. Even if you did manage to find some, it takes years of breeding to get feathers to the length and consistency that you find in the long saddle hackles. Because there is going to be such a demand on the saddles, the capes should be a better deal in the short term. Basically the demand has shifted from the Capes to the saddles.

nevermind...now i know who to thank for this...

l59.jpg

"go with Christ, brah..." :horse:

HIJACK!!

This guys is a waste of a single feather. Seriously, him, and his gang of vigilante misfits, are known as what I tenderly refer to as a "retards".

:chainsaw:

• 1 month later...