Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Advice On A Outboard Purchase From The Us.

I am looking for advice from those in the know. I am looking to purchase a 4hp outboard motor (Yamaha) on Ebay, it will come up to Canada from Florida. I have never purchased this way before so I don't know what to expect. What should I be looking at as far as extra charges (GST) at the border? Will I be able to obtain service for it in Calgary? Anything else you can let me know would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Russ C

If you can get it sent USPS...... the courier companies with tattoo your ass with the brokerage fees on something that $$$ and heavy. Typically UPS will burn you the worst, you may even get a bill from them months later on this delivery.

You can also have it sent to Sweetgrass Montana, just south of Lethbridge and pick it up. There is a warehouse there that will hold it for you. I have the details if you need it, just dont have them handy.

I have done this with things like tires & large carparts that are not practical to ship to Canada.

In terms of what to expect at the border, you will get nailed for GST & possibly duties if it was not made in USA or Mexico (NAFTA).

Andrew

Guest tallieho

I did this twice,sounded like a great deal until UPS get's into it.check out cost to ship by air,then UPS is not involved

I bought a TV from Florida. Had it shipped by DHL (prepaid by seller) to their warehouse in the NE. Went there, got the GST and duty bills, drove the short distance to the Canada Customs centre, paid GST, duty went back to DHL and picked up the TV and still got the TV for around $1K less than what it was selling here.

Another.

Bought some Fathead removable life size posters from their American website. They shipped to me and the total for shipping, GST and duty was almost as much as the purchase.

You HAVE to do your homework beforehand. As someone already stated, you can get dinged 4-6 weeks later, especially by UPS. With the weight of your purchase, it would have to come by transport. Picking up in the US. is the best option.

FHD

You can also have it sent to Sweetgrass Montana, just south of Lethbridge and pick it up. There is a warehouse there that will hold it for you. I have the details if you need it, just dont have them handy.

I have done this with things like tires & large carparts that are not practical to ship to Canada.

In terms of what to expect at the border, you will get nailed for GST & possibly duties if it was not made in USA or Mexico (NAFTA).

Andrew

http://www.montanashipping.com/montana_shipping_003.htm

I've used Montana Shipping -- specifically the depot in Eureka, Montana, and it's a great service. Perhaps not too convenient for Calgarians, but if you make the trip down in the summer, there's lots of good fishing along the way. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather spend a few bucks on gas than get ripped off by UPS. Oh, and if you go to Eureka, stop in for lunch at Cafe Jax, just a few doors north of Montana Shipping. It's a great old time diner, and the food is great. Terry