Fly Fusion Forums

Petition To Prevent Clear Cutting Castle Rvr Area

Clear cut logging is slated by the Knucklehead Gov't this summer for areas adjacent to major campgrounds, the highway and alongside the South Castle and Castle rivers themselves. Mountain pine beetle is the convenient scapegoat.

Do you prefer to fish in a forest, or in a clear-cut???

CPAWS has an online petition you can sign and send to the people responsible for this idiotic plan.

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2463/...action_KEY=3670

................ Mountain pine beetle is the convenient scapegoat. .................

Yeh, it burns my butt how the pine beetle is always trotted out as the excuse to let Spray Lakes Sawmills wreak havoc on our SW forests.

Have a look at the following article in the Crowsnest Pass Promoter last week.

Province claims win against pine beetle

This government has not learned a damn thing !! they should check and see what happened to some of the great rivers in New Brunswick and to the wild areas there when nobody was watching the IRVINGS and their logging practices. The mountain sides here will not hold if the block or clear cutting is done the same way, and who the hell wants a mono forest anyway.. Let it burn as natural and regrow as natural.. the only true way to do it. we want to let the National parks go back natural historical bio spaces then let this special space do the same!!!

Frankly, the bs the Castle has gone through makes me sick. Such a special place that has become an unfortunate sacrifice to Alberta multi usage. Special as in beautiful, unique and ecologically important. Anyone ever read any of Andy Russells stories of the Castle wilderness from back before it was originally logged? I thought we just listed the Grizzly bear as Threatened? There is an abundance of prime grizzly habitat in the Castle (aside from the onslaught of four wheel invaders these days). The hiking is special in this area - there are a few golden trout lakes that are absolutely gorgous. If you cross the west castle and head up the trail there are many multi day hikes you can complete where you may not see a soul for days - get up on the divide and head south, or north, you can hike into the middle kooteney pass into one of BC's most threatened and beautiful drainages - the Flathead. The views from atop the Divide in the Castle area are outstanding. The direction is completely wrong. This region should be protected, not logged. I agree wholeheartedly with a previous poster that stated that the pine beatle is an exuse to log indiscriminantly. Forestry industry is hurtin in Alberta, pine beatle is a convenient stimulus. I don't know honestly if it will make a difference, but if everyone writes letters, signs petitions, at least the voice is there and do I ever hope that the government turns a new leaf and listens. I also believe that in the Castles case at this point (although it may well be too late) "loving it to death" is necessary. I would encourage all catch and release anglers/hikers/mountain bikers/sight seers/...to spend as much time as possible in the Castle to show that we care for the Castle and use the castle in a relatively non-consumptive way. Not sure whether Albertan's have enough give a rip these days, but the Castle could sure use it.