Fly Fusion Forums

Wholesale Sports Edmonton

So my family heads up to Edmonton on the weekend to do a little shopping and my wife drops my kid and I off at Wholesale on the South side so we can each do a little pressure free shopping.

The good:

I head into the flyshop to fill out my list of fly tying supplies that I am running low on. As I'm heading in I pass the wading boot section and see that the Korker guide boots are $70 off and are now $149. I have been looking at the Korkers Cross Current boot but wholesale was always out of my size and I had a gift cert to use up on them. Anyway, the guide boots were in my size and now in my price range so even though I had stupidly forgot my gift card back at home, I decided to pick them up.

I told the sales guy that I had a little more shopping in the fly section to do and then I'd pick them up at the fly counter. "No problem," says he.

The bad:

I begin going up and down the fly isles picking up a few things here and there, but I can't find a couple of things so I pop back out to ask the sales guy. He's nowhere. I figure I'll have another look and see if I can find the last two things myself. I look for another couple of minutes with no luck and pop back out. He still isn't around. It's probably been 10 minutes since I saw him.

The ugly:

My wife hasn't texted me yet to say she is done shopping so I have a bit more time. I go out of the flyshop and walk around the store looking at other merchandise. There are at least 3 girls at the customer service talking and giggling but aren't doing anything. I check out the camping section, no one. I check out the fishing section, and there are two guys at that counter talking it up. I walk past them and neither even see me let alone ask if I need something. I decide to go past them again and see if I get a different response... same thing. They are busy talking about how to rearrange the ice fishing section and are totally oblivious to me and the lady with two kids who are obviously picking up something for dad and don't know where to start.

I decide to head back into the fly fishing section to see if the phantom sales guy is back in. Nope, still gone. And now there are two more sorry soles in the section looking around for fly gear, obviously wanting a some help, with no one around. One of them stands at the counter looking at the fly reels for over 5 minutes and then finally walks out. My wife hasn't called yet so I browse through the flies, looking for new ideas, have another look for the two things I can't find, and still no salesman.

It's now been probably a good 45 minutes since I saw him in the fly section and I haven't seen him, nor had one other person ask me if they can help me in any way. My wife texts that she's done, I grab the boots off the fly counter and head to the tills. 3 girls and now another guy are standing around there chatting as usual. One of the girls reluctantly breaks off and heads to the till. Doesn't ask if I've found everything. Deosn't say anything, just rings me through, hands me my receipt, and turns and walks back to the group who are still talking.

Seriously!!!! If those boots hadn't been $70 off, I'd have left everything there and walked out with nothing. Word has it Cabella's is coming to town and you'd think a place like Wholesale would really be pushing to get and keep business right about now. Business seems like the last thing on their minds. Cabellas should have a pretty easy time attracting new people.

Cheers.

There used to a couple of very knowledgeable guys working the flyfishing section and it was great to go in shopping. The last couple of times I've been in, nobody around and couldn't find anyone to help. Not too impressed, so I just walked out.

Regards Mike

Ditto on Ricinus comment. I enjoyed talking to at least 2 of the fellows there. But I haven't seen them lately. I used to rent to a couple of there employees, don't think they were treated that well.

I too am looking forward to Cabela's. They do carry some stuff I have never seen in Canada.

Yet, I will ask, Bigtoad, aside from posting on the internet, are you going to bring these concerns to the attention of management? Can I assume you are alright if I were to print your post out and bring next time with me (I live very close to South Common). Management should know about these things; a time honored principle in business "if you're happy with our service today tell 10 people; if not, tell us".

Smitty

P.S. Wanted to say the last part before the thread to turns into "lets-slam-a-business" game show...

Maybe it is just this particular store in Edmonton....

Case in point every time I have gone into the fly shop at the Calgary location I have been asked if I need help (which I usually do). The last time in particular (Ken I believe) spent an hour with me helping me pick out a new rod and reel for Oahu and Steelheading. I thought he was extremely helpful and was very appreciative of his advice.

So maybe it is just the management at this particular store which has let customer service standards slip.

Now I work in a big box retail store and have been doing this gig for almost 10 years now and I can come up with alot of reasons why the one guy in the fly fishing section disappeared (I am guessing short on staff and was on break - there should still be someone there to deter people from theft or to help out a customer)

For the people in the Customer Service Section that was just disgusting, and there is absoultly no reason why this should of happened also the fact that the cashirer did not say anything was also disgusting, as I train my staff and alot of other people at the store I work at is the following.

"Remove the paycheaque cause no one comes to work to not get paied, well maybe some people, but what is the reason to working in a retail store? It is to provide a service for someone."

These cashiers or whoever they were could not even accoplish a fundamental concept as Service for customers and someone should complain to manager, gm or District or corprate head office, cause these things have to be fixed or there will always be problems.

I do not like to styrotype but what I have seen over the last couple of years is that the younger generation just doesn't care anymore, I leave work sometimes wanting to bash my head into a brick wall because people just can't uderstand what Customer Service really is.

Customer Service as I see it is making sure your customers have been talked to or at least knowladged that they are there and will be with them as soon as possible. Then you must be paitence and help the customer out to the best of your ability, if you can not help them out get someone that can, this is the key to customer service.

I once went into another store for the same company I work for and pretended to be a customer to see what I could do to better my store that I work at and found service absoultly lousy, once I got a manager and told them whop I was where I worked and my position it was amazing how they jumpped and got me what I wanted, which of course is stupid cause if you are a ethical company then everyone regardless to who they are should be treated the same.)

Now to finish off the guys in the hunting section I can see this happening (god knows I have done it by accident before) does it make it right, hell no, but it does happen espically when the higher ups tell you that you have to get it done.

Just cause you got poor service from one store does not mean all the other stores are the same, still have faith and if things do not change then look for somewhere else.

Ditto on Ricinus comment. I enjoyed talking to at least 2 of the fellows there. But I haven't seen them lately. I used to rent to a couple of there employees, don't think they were treated that well.

I too am looking forward to Cabela's. They do carry some stuff I have never seen in Canada.

Yet, I will ask, Bigtoad, aside from posting on the internet, are you going to bring these concerns to the attention of management? Can I assume you are alright if I were to print your post out and bring next time with me (I live very close to South Common). Management should know about these things; a time honored principle in business "if you're happy with our service today tell 10 people; if not, tell us".

Smitty

P.S. Wanted to say the last part before the thread to turns into "lets-slam-a-business" game show...

I've had great service there before and the one or two guys in the fly department were knowledgeable and helpful. This time.... nope. I felt like I was in Home Depot during the labour shortage! <--poke--<

Good point about letting the management know and yes, I will try to forward my experience onto them so they can try to fix it. I think I was just so pissed off because we had just come from United Cycle (where I know the owners) and our experience was excellent. Couldn't pass a worker without them asking if they could help us. The place was busy (go figure) and staff were still great. Then over to Wholesale and...what a difference. Big disappointment.

Cheers.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but I am sure we can all relate.

Customer service in Canada has declined so greatly it is not even funny. Having spent a lot of time shopping in the US the comparison is night and day. People actually seem as though they enjoy thier work and are not rude.

I actually had a girl working in an office supply store tell me to "F-off" and cursed me the whole way out the door. when I did call the store manager she explained there is nothing they can do because she is under 18. Last time I checked telling people to F-off would get me well on my way to being canned at my office.

Younger people, and some people in my generation seem to have this sense of entitlement and they should not have to work while they are there and being paid. Drives me crazy.

Sadly, decent service is the exception rather than the rule in Calgary.

Good on you for contacting management. They cant fix the problem if they are not aware of it.

Andrew

Just sent in my experience to customer service. We'll see if they respond.

Cheers.

Well done. And Thanks! Your pro-activeness increases the probability - however slight - that something will be done. And that can only benefit everyone!

Cheers,

Smitty

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

if you dont like it then find a way to pay them more! you dont get much work for $12/h. I do understand that you cant do this in a store like that with profit margins already stretched thin...but if we all stopped buying the cheapest foreign made stuff off the shelf (i do this too unfortunately) it might not be like that....just my 2C

My 2 cents? It's the managers job to know what's going on in the store - if people aren't getting served, guess what, the manager should already know. It's not my job as a customer to inform any store management that their staff sucks, or that they are out of something - that's why they are called managers... I have no problem with walking out of a store and not letting them know why - if more people did, then hey, maybe someone will stand up and take notice. Bad news travels faster than good.

Yeah, customer service is out the window these days.

Went into Wholesale Sports in Deerfoot Meadows in South Calgary and had great service there. Very knowledgeable and helpful, I believe his name was Jeff. Suggested a great book about Fly hatches which is proving to be extremely educational.

The customer service is out there, all though I have had some bad experiences as well.

Never hurts to put in a complaint. I had horrible service at a local chain restaurant. After the horrible service I went onto their website and put in a complaint. I got contacted by the franchise owner who talked to the manager and got their side of the story. They apologized and gave me a credit at that location to try and win my patronage back. Doubt it made much of a difference there but they at least recognized the need to try and win me back. Enough of those situations might end up with a change in service.