Fly Fusion Forums

Tenkara Fishing

Fishing with a Tenkara rod for Steelhead on the Kalum river. I want one of these big sticks... Awesome!

http://tv.shimano.co.jp/movie/tv/paradise_06/

Edit: After doing a bit of searching, I have learned that the rod used in the video is called a Keiryu rod

(meaning mountain stream fishing). Not exactly Tenkara fishing, but very similar in many respects

Tenkara rods are traditional Japanese flyrods and can be fished in the same manner as other flyrods.

The appeal for me is the simplicity. My buddy has a Tenkara rod for trout that I've had the chance to cast a few times.

Very cool. But, imagine how thrilling it would be to get hooked up directly to a big chromer like that.

I had the pleasure of meeting a Japanese vacationer a few years back on one of our lakes, he was fly fishing but after he landed a few fish, he broke out his Tenkara stick and started dabbing dries. His patience, balance and focus was incredible to witness.

They sell Tenkara at wholesale and I know a couple of guys that play with the sticks, I've thought of trying it this year myself supposedly awesome on small creeks and a good change for whiteys

Is it me or is that Japanesse dude wearing a dry suit ??

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

who cares if they are lobbing bait, they are still fishing and that all i care about. I forgot about that guy Jay, frigin buss load.

quote from their website:

=======================

About Tenkara

Tenkara is the traditional Japanese method of fly-fishing where only a rod, line and fly are used.

=======================

I think they actually mean

About Tenkara

Tenkara is the traditional Japanese method of bait-fishing where only a rod, line and bait are used.

I remember there is an episode from extreme fishing with robson green talks about this method of fishing.

In that episode, the japanese dude hook a live bait fish with tenkara rod and let the live bait fish go to the place where other fish holding. basically, use fish to catch fish.

people dress up in dry suit and carry a bucket of live fish, and catches the fish around 4" big. pretty lame.

It wasn't Tenkarausa, Robson Green or some Japenese guy hookin on a live minnow, that turned Tenkara into baiting fishing. It was me as a 5 year old with a fixed line tyed to the end of a bamboo fishing with a worm that was destroyed a 1500 year old art form..................smartin' up will ya.

Any way thanks for the post Swing, would love to try that form of fishing...................I've been cruising the T'USA website and more than likely will pull the trigger on a 12 footer............the thoughts of hooking up a grisle on one of those is just too tempin'.

quote from their website:

=======================

About Tenkara

Tenkara is the traditional Japanese method of fly-fishing where only a rod, line and fly are used.

=======================

I think they actually mean

About Tenkara

Tenkara is the traditional Japanese method of bait-fishing where only a rod, line and bait are used.

I remember there is an episode from extreme fishing with robson green talks about this method of fishing.

In that episode, the japanese dude hook a live bait fish with tenkara rod and let the live bait fish go to the place where other fish holding. basically, use fish to catch fish.

people dress up in dry suit and carry a bucket of live fish, and catches the fish around 4" big. pretty lame.

Any way thanks for the post Swing, would love to try that form of fishing...................I've been cruising the T'USA website and more than likely will pull the trigger on a 12 footer............the thoughts of hooking up a grisle on one of those is just too tempin'.

The Tenkara USA rods are mostly suitable for fish up to 17"-18". Terrific for the small trout streams that you fish back east and our mountain streams here in the west. Shimano has just released a new 4.5m Tenkara rod, the Mainstream ZE 40-50, that is designed to handle fish up to 4kg. which would be ideal for Grillse, sea run browns/brookies that you get to fish for and our large Bow river trout. Not much fishing info. available on the new Shimano rod, but here is a link with the technical specs.

Shimano Mainstream ZE 40-50

http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Tenkara-Rods-Medium-Action.htm

Tenkara flyfishing sites

http://tenkaraflyfish.webs.com/tenkararods.htm

http://www.tenkarabum.com/

Traditionally, I believe horsehair lines were used with silk leaders. Today, there are a few line choices including tapered mono furled lines, mono braided taper lines, level mono or fluro lines and synthetic horsehair braids, to which short leader/tippets are attached. Lines are typically around 1x -2x rod length. The Tenkara rod that I have casted was a beautifull rod from northern Italy, where an almost identical form of Tenkara fishing has been in practise for centuries.

I think it was a rod made by Shimano (or one of their companies such as GLoomis) and cost around $2,000.

The Italian rods are stiffer, faster actioned than the traditional Japanese Tenkara rods.

This fishing method is Ayu fishing, not Tenkara fly fishing. Quite facinating actually. Ayu fishing is also done with nymphs.

Here's a link to explain it.

Ayu fishing technique:

http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~y-ogura/hyper/hyper.html

who cares if they are lobbing bait, they are still fishing and that all i care about. I forgot about that guy Jay, frigin buss load.

Czech Nymphing with a gob of eggs. Looks like fun.

If your into knob gobbl'n lobbing eggs and "slaying" fish why not just bite the bullet and join the bait casting nation and do it right buy a centerpin/drift rod that way people will not question your conflicting beliefs.

I have and use a Tenkara and it definitely has it's place in spots where there's next to no room to cast and you can sneak up on the fish. It's quite a different fishing style and is very suited for small streams (Cataract is a perfect example). Wife caught a nice sea-trout in Iceland with it and it was definitely an experience as she had to run up and downstream with the fish since there's only about 16 feet of line to play with.

The really nice thing about it is that it is really getting back to the basics and purest form of fishing IMHO.

If your into knob gobbl'n lobbing eggs and "slaying" fish why not just bite the bullet and join the bait casting nation and do it right buy a centerpin/drift rod that way people will not question your conflicting beliefs.

LMFAO! ;)