Fly Fusion Forums

Recommend A Guitar For A Beginner

Hi all,

Just looking for some recommendations for a beginner guitar. I don't want to break the bank, but I also don't want to be outgrowing it in a year or two and be looking to replace it. I have been directed towards a Seagull S6 with cedar top/cherry sides/back. I do really like it and am giving it some serious consideration. However, I really haven't given any other brands/models any real consideration and have hardly looked at anything else. I like that it is Canadian made and really like the sound. It has the plug in for amp and built in tuner, but no cutaway which I don't really think I will be needing anytime soon as at this point I can't even play a song yet. I am however practising a lot on a rental and am really enjoying it. Oh yeah, my budget is between $300-500, although this is not set in stone....I am willing to pay a little more if needed.

Thanks for all your help!

SS

I'm in the same boat as you and have done a bunch of research over the last few weeks. I've pretty much decided on the Seagull S6 Original. Lots of people say it's the best guitar you can buy for <$500, and that it's comparable to some guitars that are worth $1000-2000. The big selling point for me is it has a wider than average neck, which makes it easier with my big acromegaly hands.

Another one I read about was a Takamine.. I believe it was the G Series. Haven't been able to see one in person yet though.

Similar to fly rods.. it's always a good idea to sit down and try different guitars out. It's hard to know what feels right when you don't play yet, but surprisingly, you can still tell some differences. As far as sound goes, you can always ask someone there to play it for you.. Or better yet, if you have a friend that plays, make sure you take them with you when you go shopping.

Uber.. believe it or not, that's the second time today I heard the pawn shop suggestion! It never even crossed my mind before.. great idea.

Yeah I NEVER buy power tools new!! Always hit the local pawn shops 1st! Talk about a "racket"!!

P

Uber.. believe it or not, that's the second time today I heard the pawn shop suggestion! It never even crossed my mind before.. great idea.

When I started, after taking some lessons, I bought a Norman guitar which is also Canadian made and in the price range you stated. I loved the sound and the action was light (or small, not sure proper terminology) meaning the strings were close to the neck and easier to play. Something to check when you are starting out.

meaning the strings were close to the neck and easier to play.

When you are just starting out, *that* is the most important thing to consider. You won't be performing live or recording anytime soon, so sound is secondary. They all sound good enough.

After 5 yrs I was convinced it wasn't a passing fancy so I decided to pick up a good one and found a Martin OMC-1E at a pawn shop. I love it. Before that, cheap plywood hand-me-downs.

Whatever you buy take it to a good tech and get it set up. Intonation, action, etc. If it's an acoustic stick some Elixir strings (or something similar)

There was a guy named Peter at Guitarworks on 16th Ave that was really good, not sure if he's still there or not.

I've had an acoustic guitar that is made of cedar instead of spruce for years and I found I like the sound better because it has a fuller less tinny sound than the spruce made guitars. Although it is all about preference when it comes to sound.