Electric Troll Motor

marks

just got electric trolling motor for 9 foot outcast pontoon

any recommendations for battery and charger

-is marine deep cycle worth the money or just use car battery

-is regular charger ok

will 12 volt last all day

thanks mark

Definately get a deep cycle battery, car batts are not designed to drain completely and you will kill it in short order. As for how long a batery lasts, thats up to you. If you are going full out all the time, they will drain quicker. Get a battery with the most capacity that your boat can handle(weight wise). The larger the trolling motor(more thrust) the more juice it will drain.

I agree with the above statements regarding the deep cycle batteries. I'm not sure the type of charger really matters. You might want to check out the Interstate Batteries on Barlow Trail and 61 ave SE. I have bought deep cycle batteries that are called refurbished, basically they are over 1 year old and have been taken back from the various dealers. I think I paid somewhere around 40.00 for them. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Murray

When I was using my electric ( trolling 14ft lund in SK) I was very satisfied witht the battery from Costco - tried other marine batteries over the years, but it was best. lasted longest, held the charge throughout the day, and the price was way less than I found anywhere else.

Don't even think about a car battery, unless you like rowing

the best battery I have found for my pontoon is a wheel chair battery they are small light and the store alot of power, with mine i can go a couple of days with a 30lb thrust minkota, it also has the capability of charging quickly

I purchased 2 dual use deep cycle batteries from Walmart 2 years ago for my boat which I paid $99 for, they are now $107 for the same model.

I have had no problem what so every.

I just use a 40 year old K-mart trickle charger (3amp), this is small charger and it does take a considerable amount of time to charge up but this is a weekend boat.

Get yourself a no frills crappy tire 10 amp charger and you can fish every day of the week.

My batteries are a series 27, it is there biggest model which is way to big for your application but they make smaller ones which for what you are intending is ideal.

I would also expect that the smaller ones would be under a $100.

When you do purchase a battery check to see when it was manufactured and just like bread do not get the bread that has been siting on the shelf for any extended period.

Never leave any deep cycle battery under charged and always top up durring the winter months.

This is an old picture as I now have a plug in up for the battery charger hook up.

post-1844-1293631356.jpg

thanks everyone

great info. now i'll have to shop around

ice off seems so far away

marks

I purchased 2 dual use deep cycle batteries from Walmart 2 years ago for my boat which I paid $99 for, they are now $107 for the same model.

I have had no problem what so every.

I just use a 40 year old K-mart trickle charger (3amp), this is small charger and it does take a considerable amount of time to charge up but this is a weekend boat.

Get yourself a no frills crappy tire 10 amp charger and you can fish every day of the week.

My batteries are a series 27, it is there biggest model which is way to big for your application but they make smaller ones which for what you are intending is ideal.

I would also expect that the smaller ones would be under a $100.

When you do purchase a battery check to see when it was manufactured and just like bread do not get the bread that has been siting on the shelf for any extended period.

Never leave any deep cycle battery under charged and always top up durring the winter months.

This is an old picture as I now have a plug in up for the battery charger hook up.

Justfloatin,i have the same battery's.Energizer brand group 27, 180 A/hr.I use them for my trailer and for the boat and have had good luck with them so far they are 3 years old now.

How long will they last?I think 1 lb of thrust= 1 amp/hr for a 12 volt system.at full power.So 30lb thrust motor should go about 6 hours at full power on a 180amp/hr battery(group 27).

I weighed one once it was 55lbs.

Fegus,

I will also be looking for a battery for my electric motor and I am interested in what you said about the wheelchair battery. How do they compare in price with a deep cycle battery, also are these readily available or do they come from a specialty shop? what about the charger? will a regular battery charger work on these?

• 1 month later...
the best battery I have found for my pontoon is a wheel chair battery they are small light and the store alot of power, with mine i can go a couple of days with a 30lb thrust minkota, it also has the capability of charging quickly

what is the size and weight of these ( 12 volt)

do wheel chair batteries come in 12v ,and where would you get one

if they last all day using a 30 lb /on a pontoon boat it seems like the answer

thanks marks

Guest tallieho

that's very good info.thanks for the link tungsten..12volt wheelchair battery,worked great for me for years..got the info from David Blair fish tales..The bATTERY sHOP 3553 36 ST SE CALGARY 403 569-0435 PUT IT UNDER ANY CO. NAME REV.AN ADDITIONAL 20-30% OFF FOR A 30LB THRUST MOTOR THEY REC.SA12350 SOTO ENERTECH CHARGER MOD 22005 WHEELCHAIR BATTERY

Justfloatin,i have the same battery's.Energizer brand group 27, 180 A/hr.I use them for my trailer and for the boat and have had good luck with them so far they are 3 years old now.

How long will they last?I think 1 lb of thrust= 1 amp/hr for a 12 volt system.at full power.So 30lb thrust motor should go about 6 hours at full power on a 180amp/hr battery(group 27).

you need at least a 12' aluminum boat for a battery that big! Have u used this battery on your pontoon boat Tungsten? :yak:

Whoops edit that,120 amp/hr not 180.