Fly Fusion Forums

Pet Peeves

My biggest pet peeve lately has been.

1) People parking in Handicap spots.

Just recently I had a lady who is a paraplegic come and talk to my students. She talked about how difficult it is for her to get around in an able bodied world. She mentioned that when someone parks in these zones (even if it is only for five minutes...yeah right) it means that she has to go somewhere else where there isn't enough room or there are no sidewalk curb cutouts. This means that for her it would take her an extra 20-30 minutes to get into the where she needs to go or that she will just abandon the trip.

Just yesterday I saw two examples of this behavior. It just sickenes me to see these lazy people park there without giving any thought to the people who truly need the spot.

I have many other pet peeves but was wondering what some of yours are?

My top 3 after the above

1) ticketmaster

2) impark

3) people at the gym who use 3 stations at a time and don't let you in.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Handicap parking I could not agree anymore with you. Outside my house there is a handicap parking for my mother who has to walk with two canes and since we do not have a driving pad or a garage the city put a handicap park spot for my mother. We do live in front of a elementry school and people park in the spot all the time, once I confronted the person who parked there and they said that it was okay if they were quick, I told them that was not true and the person turn oed on me and got very nasty. Now this was probably the one time I did not strike back but instead I called the city and they sent out a tow truck and took the vechicle away (I was actually surprised how fast this was done, within 20mins) The owner of the vechicle came out of the school with child in tow and was surprised to see their vechicle gone. I was sitting on my front deck with a grin on my face and the owner of the vechicle went crazy telling me I was forcing their child to walk and that there was no need for what I did. I calmly replied back "I guess it really does suck when you only think of yourself and not other people that need that spot for a very good reason" I turned around gave the person the waving finger and went inside.

My pet Peeve --

Some Knuckle dragging mouth breathing Cowboy from Claresholm, preaching Trout killing on a Fly fishing Forum, and over the limit trout killing to boot...

Introduced by Biologists probably Albertan biologists to boot, not invasive!!!!!

Have you kissed a Brook Trout today!!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New year, you old hoof checker, didn't think I was just going to let you get away with it did you?

My actual Pet peeve is anyone that gets to the fishing spot before I do!!!!!

My pet Peeve --

Some Knuckle dragging mouth breathing Cowboy from Claresholm, preaching Trout killing on a Fly fishing Forum, and over the limit trout killing to boot...

Introduced by Biologists probably Albertan biologists to boot, not invasive!!!!!

Have you kissed a Brook Trout today!!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New year, you old hoof checker, didn't think I was just going to let you get away with it did you?

My actual Pet peeve is anyone that gets to the fishing spot before I do!!!!!

:laugh:

My biggest (I have a few) is people who can't figure out why they need to accelerate up to the speed of traffic on Deerfoot, even if they are getting off at the next exit. It makes it impossible for the people on Deerfoot to get in the exit lane without jumping on the brakes (in a lane of fast-moving Deerfoot Trail traffic) and it makes it impossible for people behind them trying to to merge with traffic on Deerfoot to get up to speed and safely merge. Both situations cause brake lights to come on and we all know what brake lights do to traffic on Deerfoot. I drive all day, every day and that is likely the single most irritating thing I see...every day...

the two idiots on the east side of the southland dog park bridge (carburn park side) who decided to build a fire on the bank out of the trees/brush so they could keep warm while fishing...

hope the fire department had a few nice things to say to them.

Whats the problem with that? Other than the Shity of Kalgree probably got a bylaw against it, I've done just that hundreds of times over the yrs

Whats the problem with that? Other than the Shity of Kalgree probably got a bylaw against it, I've done just that hundreds of times over the yrs

Best way to cook those pesky Cutthroat that get in the way of my Brook Trout stocking in the Porkys...

IMGP0008-12.jpg

Deer Brats this Dec on the Crow..

Guys,

Something to consider. The burnt soils from casual fire may last several lifetimes before nature repairs the damage.

I know if I was a landowner and some nimrod started a fire on my land out of an established pit, he'd be boosted off quick.

Do recall an landowner that owned a place on the low Bow. I went to school with the guy. We used to take out our boats on his property. Got there one morning to do a spot and he refused us permission. You guessed it. Some jerk with a bank fire burnt down 80 acres of oats. So his response was to ban everyone.

It's worth your time to wander off the banks of the Oldman, Livingstone, Dutch et al and look for fire pits. Some are located within feet of each other. All are ugly.

Don

x 2!!

I hate walking into a pristine mtn lake, hiking trail, backpacking spot and seeing the same thing!! Totally inconsiderate and disrespectful if you ask me!!!!

P

Guys,

Something to consider. The burnt soils from casual fire may last several lifetimes before nature repairs the damage.

I know if I was a landowner and some nimrod started a fire on my land out of an established pit, he'd be boosted off quick.

Do recall an landowner that owned a place on the low Bow. I went to school with the guy. We used to take out our boats on his property. Got there one morning to do a spot and he refused us permission. You guessed it. Some jerk with a bank fire burnt down 80 acres of oats. So his response was to ban everyone.

It's worth your time to wander off the banks of the Oldman, Livingstone, Dutch et al and look for fire pits. Some are located within feet of each other. All are ugly.

Don

it was in the middle of the city, in a residential neighbourhood, next to where older folk live (who may or may not have a higher risk of breathing problems), across from the dog park and under the Southland pedestrian bridge. i'm pretty sure you need burning permit to burn on city/gov property. never mind that they were using scrub brush and breaking limbs off of trees in order to make their little fire. it was +2 and sunny.

what is the need for a fire?? we arent talking -10 in the middle of no where after falling in the river and survival is the issue.

it is just the lack of consideration and the idea that the rules dont apply. that is what irks me.

I brought my own kindling and used dead fall, and as you can see I brought my own grilling sticks...

Area was cleaned and nary a sign was left of this very small fire..

I truly understand the concerns of LS and others..

All due care and considerations were taken when making the fire..

Guys,

Don

Pedestrians that think they can just approach the curb and cross when and where they like. This is what crosswalks, pedestrian crossings and lights are for.

Dont you just love it when a chick just walks right out in front of you with a nasty look on her face expecting you to stop, happens a few times a day. Regardless of whether they are driving or the pedestrian women take the cake!

Most of mine are driving related.. not using signal lights, stopping in merge lanes, purposely speeding up when you're trying to switch lanes, cruising in the far left lane while going below the speed limit, etc. And then to top it all off, those people who do any of the aforementioned things and then give YOU the finger if you honk at them, as if you're in the wrong. Love that.

Had a 'funny' one this summer coming home from work. I was taking the 33rd Ave. west exit off of Crowchild Trail north (beside Marda Loop). If anyone is familiar with that turn, it's a single turn only lane, but there's a second lane for Calgary Transit to stop at the bus stop there, and then continue across 33rd and back onto Crowchild. It gets pretty backed up during rush hour and you usually have to wait for 2-3 red lights before you make it through. Every once in awhile there's someone who feels that they're more important than everyone else and gets in that CT lane and treats it as a dual turn. Not cool.

So this dude decides to do that, so I take my turn and then flip on my right signal light and slowly move over into the left lane purposely pushing him over so he either had to hit the brakes or hit the sidewalk. Then I shrug my shoulders and gestured to him in my mirror like "WHAT are you doing?" The light on the other side of the overpass is red, so sure enough, buddy jumps out of his vehicle. I wind my window down and he gets right in my face and starts letting the expletives fly. We're talking seriously ballistic here.. I think he thought that if he pulled the "i'm so crazy i'll kill you" routine that I'd back off, but yeah, that trick doesn't work on me. I quickly put my face right back in his (you should have seen him flinch, it was hilarious), just about touching noses, and calmly but firmly asked him why he felt his time was more important that everyone else's. He then threw a bunch more expletives and said "it's a dual turn lane!" to which I replied, "No, it's not a dual turn lane, go back and look at the sign again.." He dropped a bunch more expletives and then challenged me to a fight because I was such a bleeping idiot. I was like "right, let's get out and fight on the side of the road because you don't know how to read traffic signs." I laughed.. which made him even more angry. Meanwhile the light had turned green so I started driving away and he scrambles back to his vehicle because he was blocking traffic and people who saw the whole thing were honking and yelling at him... You could totally tell that as we argued, he was realizing that I was right, but he wasn't going to back down at that point.

Afterwards I thought.. "right buddy, all ~30 of us that lined up in the left lane are complete idiots, and you're the only smart guy who realizes it's dual turn!" Which is another pet peeve of mine.. thinking of good comeback lines AFTER the fact. :)

OH.. another one is when people use merge lanes to pass a line of traffic on the right, and then get back in again. A good example of this is also on Crowchild Trail.. this time going south towards the Glenmore exit. There's a really long merge lane for people coming off of 50 Ave onto Crowchild, that basically goes all the way to the Glenmore exit. There's also a bus stop at the end of that one.. some mornings it gets really backed up and people that are already on Crowchild will pull into that merge lane, speed past the line of cars, and then try and force there way back in up at the front. So disrespectful. Depending on my mood, I'll sometimes drive in the middle of the two lanes and block them off (unless I see a bus coming, then I'll move out of the way). The few people behind me almost always realize what I'm doing and they won't let the person in other. Love it.