Fly Fusion Forums

Dropper Boxes

sgardner

I'm with ube I have a 3/8 thick square high density foam cut with v's to hold 4 double/triple rigs with at least one of a double dry big/small combo. I wrap the line around as needed. I cut it to fit in a outside pocket so drying is not a major problem. The flys getting messed is an issue but if a quick change is in order I've found a well tied duo at your finger tips can be an asset. I would prefer to tye on as needed but cold finger tips make pre tyed combos even more attractive.

I use a piece of fly-box insert foam (with the ridges/ripples in it) and wrap several rigs as the others do. Unfortunately, even with the ridges, I end up with squashed "hoppers" (usually stimulators) when I pack it in my vest. Thinking of making a special fly box, but if one exists already I'd buy it.

To be honest 99% of the time I just rig from scratch. I'm never in such a deathly panic on the water to need pre-made rigs unless I'm faced with weather or cold.

I totally agree^^

I can't see how this would be a real time saver. A real pain in the ass is what I can see.

I've seen those, at first I thought they looked like a good Idea but then I thought it would make me look like a hardware fisher. In the end I guess it depends how you fish. Myself, I seldom make a decision about what to use till I actually am on the water looking at what is happening. In the end I thought it would end up in the "too much stuff" pile.

Thanks for your thoughts, I have been using polystyrene blocks which do the trick but are a bit on the scruffy side.

I saw this http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=76KH and was tempted to get one. Perhaps I will ask the wife nicely for a Christmas present!

Although I have not done this you could make some foam cards that fit into a small water proof box & then just stack them in there. That way they are all in one place and they don't get smashed.

I tend to agree with the others with not really needing to have them tied up in advance.

Andrew