Fly Fusion Forums

Bait

Dwalks

Hey guy, this morning I headed out fishing and for the past few times I have been parking in Douglas dale at the driving range and today I got there at 7 and there was a guy sitting in the bushes and I figured he was fishing and just changing lures. I didn’t pick up on the fact he was using bait and pouching. He also was telling me to go down the river because there was good fishing so I just ignored him then I noticed a line in the water and it was attached to a pile of rocks

post-979-1188747765.jpg

So I figured it out this guy is no fishing for sport but pouching instead but he had gone.

So I ask you this is there a number I can call next time I see a guy like this and what would he be charged with????

I would have just left him there and called someone to deal with him....

Thanks for your help Dustan

good eye Dustan just call the report a poacher line next time you see that and hopefully they will bust him. just outta curiousity it looks like he left the rig there in his flight did you pull that dead line in so no fish get hooked?

1-800-642-3800 is the report a poacher line I believe

The number for "Report a Poacher" is on your license.

Also, here is a link to a good page with information on how to make the call, as well as a lot more good info.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/your_dollars_at_work/rap/

Personally, in a situation like this, I'd call it in, but I'd also discretely snap a few pictures of the person doing the deed. I'd then try to get their license plate number and a picture of that too. Now if they leave the scene, you can turn these pictures over to the CO's for possible charges or at the very least, evidence for the day they finally get caught.

Also, I see posts here that people post they saw a Poacher "Using Bait". I agree that in your situation the person was breaking the rules, but just because someone is using bait in the City section of the Bow doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong.

The rule states, "June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30".

I wanted to post this because in order to catch the people that are actually doing something worth calling in for, we have to keep the CO's free to answer legitimate calls. If everyone is calling in because they see someone using bait where they are allowed to do so, the CO's will be tied up or they may even be less likely to bother with some calls that they otherwise would have jumped on...ie- "cry wolf"

Be sure you know the regulations and the rule that you think is being broken before calling.

I saw a guy down at 22x on the golf course side with 2 rods in the water. That's not allowed is it? He had bells on them but no way to tell if he was using maggots. Was going to call it in but didn't have the #.....now i do.

Two rods is definitely allowed to be used at the same time. I'd call it in and take pictures as well.

As far as not knowing whether or not someone is using maggots, you can usually tell by spending a bit of time observing.

You mean to NOT allowed. I didn't think so.

no prob...allways willing to help out. feel bad that i didn't have the #. well i guess i had it since it's on my win card someone said. Rotten b@astard...i'll get em next time. I see the rangers drive down that path all the time to....He got lucky. Saw a guy gut a trout that was clearly over the size limit a couple of days ago...got a picture of him doing it. I needed one of Max's ninja hoodies to scare em off. When i get my FFC one he's mine.......We'll be patroling the banks like the Guardian Angels in our gear. LOOK OUT mofo's :angry:

Make the call NOW. don't let it just slip by. Soooooo many of you guys say... "dang if I only had the number"... MAKE THE CALL WHEN YOU GET HOME... make it a WEEK later... just make the call. report where, when, and what was going on. The number of phone calls recieved is DIRECTLY related to the amount of consideration areas get for patrol, or even more officers in the future... so make those calls!!!!! Even if it happened a month ago!! PLEASE!

yea make the call dude its worth it..think harps or anotehr memeber maid a valid point..hte more we call teh more the stats go up and hopefully they fund us more...i usually make the cal and unless there predicting being there in a hour or less i educate em and or chase em off

The number for "Report a Poacher" is on your license.

Also, here is a link to a good page with information on how to make the call, as well as a lot more good info.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/your_dollars_at_work/rap/

Also, I see posts here that people post they saw a Poacher "Using Bait". I agree that in your situation the person was breaking the rules, but just because someone is using bait in the City section of the Bow doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong.

The rule states, "June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30".

I wanted to post this because in order to catch the people that are actually doing something worth calling in for, we have to keep the CO's free to answer legitimate calls. If everyone is calling in because they see someone using bait where they are allowed to do so, the CO's will be tied up or they may even be less likely to bother with some calls that they otherwise would have jumped on...ie- "cry wolf"

Be sure you know the regulations and the rule that you think is being broken before calling.

Checked my regs today and it quite clearly says BAIT BAN for the area from the Western Head works Diversion to Carseland Weir! That means NO maggots allowed in this part of town. No pun intended! Be sure you check your regulations before somebody talks you out of reporting a poacher :)

Guest bigbadbrent
Make the call NOW. don't let it just slip by. Soooooo many of you guys say... "dang if I only had the number"... MAKE THE CALL WHEN YOU GET HOME... make it a WEEK later... just make the call. report where, when, and what was going on. The number of phone calls recieved is DIRECTLY related to the amount of consideration areas get for patrol, or even more officers in the future... so make those calls!!!!! Even if it happened a month ago!! PLEASE!

Where is there proof on this, last time i called them when i hadnt been able to at the exact time, i got a reply along the lines of "ohh well, can't really do anything about it..thanks for calling..click"

still kinda curious whether that dead line was pulled in and tossed in the trash or not..... but regardless I guess if theres a fish hooked on it it is probably to late by now anyways.

Sorry Yes I pulled it in right away and no fish kinda happy about that and then at the end of my fishing I tossed it in the bin before I left. going fishing tomorrow lets hope i am not face with the same thing this time I am trying a new area. By the cement plant westside any good?

Dustan