Fly Fusion Forums

Holy Torpedo Batman

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Wow...to my backing 4 times...ran just under the water for 3 of them. Amazing power... When released...took off like a shot. Betcha she thinks twice before slamming a boatman again...

Sorry...had a kid taking the picture which doesn't do the rainbow justice...perfectly shaped...30 inches long.

Cheers

post-1649-1288309141.jpg

Guest Sundancefisher
Stop throwing steelhead into the lake!

Sorry...I did throw this steelhead back into the lake. I keep forgetting to keep the fun to catch again fish :-)

No wonder it fought so good, It's shaped like a torpedo!!!...Nice fish man!!!... :thumbup:

Cheers...Jeff..

*Edit*...Ummm, :wacko: Just saw the full heading of the post, all I saw at 1st glance was the BANG! BOOM! SLAM! SPLOOSH!, after making my reply, I saw the Holy Torpedo Batman, LOL... :P ...I guess we kinda see things in the same way... ;)

Wow...to my backing 4 times...ran just under the water for 3 of them. Amazing power... When released...took off like a shot. Betcha she thinks twice before slamming a boatman again...

Sorry...had a kid taking the picture which doesn't do the rainbow justice...perfectly shaped...30 inches long.

Cheers

How's the poundage looks like 9 lb nice job!

flyfishy

Guest Sundancefisher
How's the poundage looks like 9 lb nice job!

flyfishy

It was probably 14 lbs when it went in last year... Probably closer to 10ish now. I was dreaming of the surface wake last night when she ran full tilt just under the water.

This is a video I took... from the second jump...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbx1-I0C3xo

...or simulated video...

This is the sub I served on in the 80's. This is an Emergency Blow picture from 1977 when she was doing acceptance testing. It was the Navy's sub promo picture for years. USS Birmingham, SSN-695. One BAD ASS piece of machinery.

blowj.jpg

http://www.htc.net/~kutterer/blow.htm

To get back to the original topic, Kevin, that fish is bad ass too!

Guest Sundancefisher
This is the sub I served on in the 80's. This is an Emergency Blow picture from 1977 when she was doing acceptance testing. It was the Navy's sub promo picture for years. USS Birmingham, SSN-695. One BAD ASS piece of machinery.

blowj.jpg

http://www.htc.net/~kutterer/blow.htm

To get back to the original topic, Kevin, that fish is bad ass too!

Thanks...once you guys get Chaparral fixed...you too can get addicted to fishing within 5 minutes of the house.

Thanks...once you guys get Chaparral fixed...you too can get addicted to fishing within 5 minutes of the house.

Kevin,

You should talk to the folks at Chaparral and see if you can get a consulting role. The lady told me that this year the put in small ones because they were cheaper. Last year I was C&R fish 20-23 inches. This year i only caught 12-16 inch fish. there are a few biggn's but more little fish now.

m

Guest Sundancefisher
Kevin,

You should talk to the folks at Chaparral and see if you can get a consulting role. The lady told me that this year the put in small ones because they were cheaper. Last year I was C&R fish 20-23 inches. This year i only caught 12-16 inch fish. there are a few biggn's but more little fish now.

m

Chaparral dropped the stocking rate from $20,000 year to $4000. The guys running the lake don't like fishing and no one is speaking up...at least not a lot of residents. It is a self fulfilling prophesy when you make the fishing crappy...people don't want to fish. I think they need to cut the limit to zero at their current stocking rate.

WOW, great fish! no one is going to make a seaman joke for rickr?

I've heard them all. And my family owned a bait camp/marina in Texas for a while. "Master-baiter" jokes abounded.

Troutlover was trying to get involved in the Chaparral Lake management. I don't know if he ever did.

Guest Sundancefisher
I commend you sir, for all the work you have put in to rid the lake of perch and produce a habitat that can produce trout of this size. That is just an incredible rainbow trout, Sundance fisherman.

Actually...stocked this size...still lots of perch eating lots of insects. I don't think we can grow them that big..without giving them a head start. Some people actually think that the big ones grew from 5 inchers...but those little fish are minnows. Most lakes like these stock at 12 inches. to grow to 10 lbs...you need a very, very, very productive lake.

Still removing as many perch as we have...allows these trout to at least maintain a livable weight...although we notice the 14 lbers drop in weight to 10 lbs. 10 lbers become 7 or 8 lbers... Not super chunky but more normal looking healthy trout.

Regardless...you can't catch rainbows this size in Alberta without them being stocked that size or close to it...except in some rare lakes.

I just like catching :-)