Mayor of Calgary 2010  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you likely voting for come Monday

• Nenshi
    • McIver
    • Higgins
    • Other

Guest Sundancefisher
So he's not only a momma's boy, he's probably never worked a day outside of civil service. And sociology to boot? I feel better now.

Btw, education does not equal intelligence. It probably makes one more arrogant, but its not a sole measure of their intelligence.

Strange...so you are saying someone who obtained a high level of education at Harvard and is currently a professor is probably an arrogant dumb guy who hides it well by pretending to care? I wish I could read people at poker games like you read this guy...

Like anyone in this position and job...we will not know until the next election if people were correct to vote him in or not. In the end...power still rests with the people...not Nenshi. Your Alderman has the say as your representative.

He was a managing director and founder of the Ascend Group (deals with Gap, Banana Republic) which is a consulting firm and worked at McKinsey & Co who deal with retail and oil/gas companies. Please don't jump to assumptions unless you have all the facts.

And I do fully agree that education does not always equal intelligence but what it does show is some commitment in finishing things. I have a university degree and to be honest all it represents to me is that I was committed enough to finish something I started and gives a good background in how things "should" work in the world. If you combine it with real world experience then it's useful.

I'm glad there's some new different blood in city hall. It should be a interesting next couple of years I hope.

I was at the Calgary Folk Fest this year. Nenshi was on the tarp right in front of me, with several young folks (like University age), who looked to be embracing the old hippie lifestyle (though in fairness, it was a folk fest!). I remember dreadlocks and tats.

Anyway, I do remember thinking at the time "yeah, like this guy could ever be mayor." Good on him from proving me wrong and reminding me looks can be deceiving. Seems like a smart guy. Good luck to him!

Guest Sundancefisher
He was a managing director and founder of the Ascend Group (deals with Gap, Banana Republic) which is a consulting firm and worked at McKinsey & Co who deal with retail and oil/gas companies. Please don't jump to assumptions unless you have all the facts.

And I do fully agree that education does not always equal intelligence but what it does show is some commitment in finishing things. I have a university degree and to be honest all it represents to me is that I was committed enough to finish something I started and gives a good background in how things "should" work in the world. If you combine it with real world experience then it's useful.

I'm glad there's some new different blood in city hall. It should be a interesting next couple of years I hope.

I am a firm believer that University teach you how to think and that technical colleges teach you how to do. In the end...I went to both.

That being said...it does not guarantee anyone retains what they learn in either case.

So I'm going to wade in here again and say thanks to everyone who voted. Largest voter turnout since the Klein 80's, and from what I saw at the polling station a lot of the voters weren't even born at that time, I overheard one young lady say "this is like a party". I believe that Nenshi will be a very good fresh new perspective at city hall, much as Klein in his day. I also think that the turnout overwhelmed the election officials, and like the snowstorms last winter, this was the "one in a 100 year" election. I say this because I worked at a polling station, and though we didn't run out of ballots our Prime Deputy Returning Officer was totally over her head. She told me she had never seen anything like this election in the 15 years she has been involved. Electing Nenshi has put the global spotlight on our city, resulting in a Peter Mansbridge interview and one on the CBC Francais. If you didn't vote for Nenshi and you don't like what he has done complain all you want, and come next election kick him out. Druh and Brian made it through, but unless they win support by acting in the voters interests, this is merely a reprieve. All and all a great example of the democratic process, congratulations to all of us. :clapping:

Guest Sundancefisher
So I'm going to wade in here again and say thanks to everyone who voted. Largest voter turnout since the Klein 80's, and from what I saw at the polling station a lot of the voters weren't even born at that time, I overheard one young lady say "this is like a party". I believe that Nenshi will be a very good fresh new perspective at city hall, much as Klein in his day. I also think that the turnout overwhelmed the election officials, and like the snowstorms last winter, this was the "one in a 100 year" election. I say this because I worked at a polling station, and though we didn't run out of ballots our Prime Deputy Returning Officer was totally over her head. She told me she had never seen anything like this election in the 15 years she has been involved. Electing Nenshi has put the global spotlight on our city, resulting in a Peter Mansbridge interview and one on the CBC Francais. If you didn't vote for Nenshi and you don't like what he has done complain all you want, and come next election kick him out. Druh and Brian made it through, but unless they win support by acting in the voters interests, this is merely a reprieve. All and all a great example of the democratic process, congratulations to all of us. :clapping:

X2...

54% voter turnout... My kids in school had mock elections and talked about the issues with clarity and detailed understanding. Very neat seeing them checking in the morning to see who won.

I wish it was more like a party and we all got a coffee and baileys after voting... Mind ya turn out would probably jump to 90%.