Fly Fusion Forums

Attempt At Lost Guide Lake

Heimdallr

My friend couldn't make it all the way to the lake on the first day so we found a cool spot to set up near the trailhead to the lake to camp for the night.

P9102596.jpg

DSCN0664.jpg

P9102597.jpg

The next morning my friend figured he was still too fatigued, sore, and not in good enough shape to make it to the lake. I was very disappointed, but I knew it was wise not to try and force someone to do something they weren't capable of in such a situation. That would just be a recipe for disaster.

So the 2nd day we started heading back.

P9112606.jpg

On the way back we stayed at one of the horse camps for our 2nd night. It rained and hailed most of the day.

P9112611.jpg

I only got to do about 30 minutes of fishing total on the way back the 3rd day. I had fun on the trip, but it was ultimately quite disappointing. I didn't reach my goal and didn't really do any fishing. It was especially frustrating because I was capable of doing the hike and would have completed it if I had gone alone. In the end it was definitely a good experience, though.

DSCN0713.jpg

Nice pictures and story. I feel for you not completing your goal. Speaking from experience, it'll help motivate you for next summer. One question I wondered about: what is that thing on the log at the horse camp? It looks kind of like a machete, maybe its just a stick. Another thought and please don't take offense but you guys gotta go with one tent for two people. For a 30 km hike or whatever it is, every pound makes a difference. For short hikes it doesn't matter much. Just my two cents but if you go as light as you can and then a hiking partner is suffering, you can take 10-20 pounds from him. If your pack is heavy already, you're done for. Thanks again for posting, that hike wasn't on my to do list, maybe I'll add it.

Nice pictures and story. I feel for you not completing your goal. Speaking from experience, it'll help motivate you for next summer. One question I wondered about: what is that thing on the log at the horse camp? It looks kind of like a machete, maybe its just a stick. Another thought and please don't take offense but you guys gotta go with one tent for two people. For a 30 km hike or whatever it is, every pound makes a difference. For short hikes it doesn't matter much. Just my two cents but if you go as light as you can and then a hiking partner is suffering, you can take 10-20 pounds from him. If your pack is heavy already, you're done for. Thanks again for posting, that hike wasn't on my to do list, maybe I'll add it.

Yeah, it's a machete. My friend brought it and it was a piece of crap. For the extra 2 pounds I should have brought my short axe. I agree about the weight thing. I was packed as light as I could be for solely myself. He definitely could have been lighter. One tent would have been alright, his weighed about 5 pounds, probably close to 10 with the tarp he brought.

You're a good man for sticking with your friend. Too bad you couldn't have stashed your heavy stuff, made a push for the lake and then picked it up on the way back, but I'm sure you thought that through.

At least you had a nice hike and have some great photos..... Thanks!

We even considered leaving camp there, hiking up to the lake with just our gear and then hiking back down in the evening, but he wasn't up for that either. Oh well, I've got a lot of adventures left in me.

That's what we ended up doing and it worked out ok. I only got about an hour of fishing though. It's probably for the best that you didn't attempt it. The last part up to the lake is the steepest and hardest part of the whole hike. If your buddy was tired in the valley, you might have had to use him as fish bait up at the top. Beautiful spot to be buried.... I might have to have my ashes put into a salt block and then hauled up there. There are worse places to be left to die.

Cheers.