Fly Fusion Forums

Livingstone River - Trash

pknauth

I spent 10 days in southern Alberta fishing the Crow, Castle, Oldman and Livingstone rivers; as I have for the past 6 years. The fishing was excellent.

I have to say, I am appalled by the amount if trash left behind by the some of the campers over the holiday weekend at the Livingstone River. This is the worst I have ever seen, bags of trash, plates, air matresses, shoes , various clohing left behind, Paper and cans littered the river. Much to my amazement, a shopping cart was left at a camp site: if I could have fit it in my vehicle, I would have picked it up as well.

Alberta and its wonderful natural resources are something to behold. The trashing of the area and the river, disconnected me from would have been a fully emotional and spirtiual connection with the river, the area and the wildlife. I am sure other campers, rv enthuesiasts, fly fishers and others are too appaled by this trashing.

I hope those responsible are found and held accountable for their unexcuseable behavior.

I spent 10 days in southern Alberta fishing the Crow, Castle, Oldman and Livingstone rivers; as I have for the past 6 years. The fishing was excellent.

I have to say, I am appalled by the amount if trash left behind by the some of the campers over the holiday weekend at the Livingstone River. This is the worst I have ever seen, bags of trash, plates, air matresses, shoes , various clohing left behind, Paper and cans littered the river. Much to my amazement, a shopping cart was left at a camp site: if I could have fit it in my vehicle, I would have picked it up as well.

Alberta and its wonderful natural resources are something to behold. The trashing of the area and the river, disconnected me from would have been a fully emotional and spirtiual connection with the river, the area and the wildlife. I am sure other campers, rv enthuesiasts, fly fishers and others are too appaled by this trashing.

I hope those responsible are found and held accountable for their unexcuseable behavior.

Amen

I try to pick up at least a couple of pieces every time I leave the River. I am of the mindset leave it better than you found it.

Sickening...My daughter and I spent a couple hrs. 2 years ago cleaning up a couple sites on the Livingston, and pickin junk along the shore lines....I have cleaned up sites in the Porcupine Hills as well, come to think of it, I have cleaned up a lot of sites in places, but those two mentioned above, stand out the most in my memory, just absolute disregard for the earth and other people...

What I meant to say was how disappointed I was to find the same bad stuff going on in that area. I should have reported more things I saw ie. quadders crossing the Liv and some pretty permanent structures being built. I heard alot of building going on at Spears creek then saw four quads rip through the river. It's too bad, but I guess this has been discussed before and will not die until more enforcement is introduced. I'm sure there are some responsible quadders out there, but I was pissed off a few times at what I saw on the Liv and other creeks in the area.

Agreed... I fished the Liv on the Monday of the Sept long weekend... The fishing was great but I couldnt help but notice how much garbage was left lying around all the campsites along the river. It's sad to how many people will leave garbage lying around such a beautiful place. These people are going to ruin the privlage of being able to camp anywhere along the trunk road for everyone. I could see a law change that you must camp in a designated campsite getting support someday, although I like to camp where I want along the river I cant say I would disagree.

Amen

I try to pick up at least a couple of pieces every time I leave the River. I am of the mindset leave it better than you found it.

Good on ya for collecting some losers trash when you are out, i do the same when i fish the Bow', try and pick up a piece or three before heading back to camp for disposal....It DOES slowly make a difference...

cheers

tm

I wonder what the interest would be to get together a group for that area as part of the Canadian Shoreline Clena up. By exposing the problems in the area it may bring some action. I personally would be willing to participate in something like that.

Taking a quick look, there is a group that is participating in the Great Canadian Shoreline Clean Up on the Crowsnest on Sept 25. Would there be any interest in putting together a group for the liv for the event? http://shorelinecleanup.ca/en

Andrew

I wonder what the interest would be to get together a group for that area as part of the Canadian Shoreline Clena up. By exposing the problems in the area it may bring some action. I personally would be willing to participate in something like that.

Taking a quick look, there is a group that is participating in the Great Canadian Shoreline Clean Up on the Crowsnest on Sept 25. Would there be any interest in putting together a group for the liv for the event? http://shorelinecleanup.ca/en

Andrew

I think that is a great idea. Schedule depending, I would love to participate.

Here's an excerpt from the proposed regulatory changes in the Public Land Stewardship Act.

Waste disposal

4 219 A person shall not dispose of any waste matter in a public

5 land recreation area except in a receptacle or area provided for the

6 proper disposal the particular waste and, if no such receptacle or

7 area is provided, the person shall take the waste matter outside the

8 public land recreation area for proper disposal.

9 Vacating campsite

10 220(1) An officer directing a person camping at a campsite to

11 vacate the campsite must do so in writing.

12 (2) A person to whom a written direction referred to in subsection

13 (1) is given shall vacate the campsite within one hour after being

14 directed to do so.

15 (3) A person who vacates a campsite shall ensure that all personal

16 property belonging to him is removed.

17 Nuisances

18 221 If, in the opinion of an officer, a nuisance exists at any

19 campsite, the officer may, by order, direct a person responsible to

20 eliminate the nuisance and restore the campsite to the condition

21 described in the order, and which condition is satisfactory to the

22 officer.

Seems like they Stelmachistas either have or are about to have the problem covered. It's just that they don't have the boots on the ground to enforce it. BECAUSE THE F&W BUDGET GOT CUT BY 15% IN THE LAST 2 YEARS!!!

My friends and I camp and fish on the Livingstone/Old Man pretty often through the summer and we usually spend the first little while cleaning up the bottle caps, cans, garbage and at one spot plastic BBs from the campsites and down by the river. We now dub one of our previous favourite spots "Dirty South" because that's what some ignorant a-holes spray painted on a tree on on the rocks along the river.

It's the catch-22 camping there is you have the freedom to camp where you please but you get people in there that think no rules and I can treat it like it doesn't matter. Guess what buddy - it does matter.

Anything we can do to keep it open and free and safe for animals, fish and people should be done.