Fly Fusion Forums

Red Deer River Float

I am floating the Red Deer River between Dickson Dam and Innifail. I have not done this float before and I am looking for some advice. I realize that it will have to be broken into two days. Any advice is appreciated. Flys, launches good tribs to stop at. Thanks in advance.

2 days!! I've done that float in about 8 hrs before (last bit is slow and boring though)...

P

I am floating the Red Deer River between Dickson Dam and Innifail. I have not done this float before and I am looking for some advice. I realize that it will have to be broken into two days. Any advice is appreciated. Flys, launches good tribs to stop at. Thanks in advance.

My advice is to be patient. Its not like fishing the Bow were 10 fish might seem like a slow day. You may only see one fish over your two days so be patient. Hang around at Dixons Dam and throw some big white streamers there are plenty of Pike and Walleye right at the boat launch. Be patient and dont expect to much, it will make for a long day.

Also you may want to contact GrnDrake (Tracy) as he and his wife float that section quite often, from what I understand. Also, there was someone that offered a Red Deer float for the Streamwatch Auction so you could contact him via PM...

P

Also you may want to contact GrnDrake (Tracy) as he and his wife float that section quite often, from what I understand. Also, there was someone that offered a Red Deer float for the Streamwatch Auction so you could contact him via PM...

P

I floated it for the first time yesterday with a guide on a hot sunny day and it is a beautiful river and reminded me of the Elk river in Fernie. I landed 6 Walleye and a whitefish on streamers. Awesome to see a new river. Next time I hope it is overcast. Big brown drakes were hatching but no fish were eating on top. One of those rivers that you need a buddy to live close by to give you the skinny when stuff is happening. Not a Bow river type river. Our guide said 7 to 10 fish is a spectacular day between 2 guys on a boat. Still very much worth hitting and it would be spectacular to hook a few of those big yellow buggers if you hit it when critters were looking up.

Watch carefully for very subtle rises. If there's no surface action throw hoppers as close as possible to any cover you see (bring lots - you'll lose them).

Wow, the RDR sounds like a river for masochists!

Try guiding on it. :) It is a timing thing, and very few people have the time nor patience to wait for the right opportunity and try to force their will and timing on the river, only to be disapointed. There are much, much easier rivers to fish. But, if you have the time to learn it and then take the river as it it comes, fish it when it makes sense to, it's not too hard. Once on the rise they're some of the easiest big browns you'll encounter, honestly. Of course, if you hit a bad rhythm of timing the river, you might not see a rising trout for a week. Once you get to know it and time your fishing, you might see 15 or 20 risers on a float. But there's way too many variables on the river for instant ease of consistent success.

Cheers

Sounds about right to me 8 to 9 hour float. Take some nice streamers yellow has been great for me and my favorite Red Deer streamer is a black marabou leech. Big browns love them. Foresure you give up the numbers when you fish the Red Deer but the chance of hookiing that brown of a lifetime is pretty good on the right days.

Sounds about right to me 8 to 9 hour float. Take some nice streamers yellow has been great for me and my favorite Red Deer streamer is a black marabou leech. Big browns love them. Foresure you give up the numbers when you fish the Red Deer but the chance of hookiing that brown of a lifetime is pretty good on the right days.

Good luck on the float but be sure not to take it for granted that our drunk motorized jet terrorizers can see you in time. Pull over to the bank if you hear the motors reving a mile away. I live on the river and the last couple days they are trying to get in some fun before the water drops too much. Just for your information the "boat launch" @ Range Road 20 is not for use as the take out is on the Markerville Natural Area and there are to be no motorized vehicles past the barbed wire fence. Many people take this for granted and knowingly break the law which can yield them a $287 fine. I even know some guides use this launch which I would think they would know better. I also know the Conservation Officers are on the lookout for violators. Use white bow buggers as that will get their attention or green and yellow clousers. Tight lines!

Good luck on the float but be sure not to take it for granted that our drunk motorized jet terrorizers can see you in time. Pull over to the bank if you hear the motors reving a mile away. I live on the river and the last couple days they are trying to get in some fun before the water drops too much. Just for your information the "boat launch" @ Range Road 20 is not for use as the take out is on the Markerville Natural Area and there are to be no motorized vehicles past the barbed wire fence. Many people take this for granted and knowingly break the law which can yield them a $287 fine. I even know some guides use this launch which I would think they would know better. I also know the Conservation Officers are on the lookout for violators. Use white bow buggers as that will get their attention or green and yellow clousers. Tight lines!

I never said I was floating anything but that been said I've had very few problems with jet boaters myself. Sure I've had some zoom by me but whatever they got just as much right to be there as me. That's funny cause I sat and talked to 2 conservation officers after taking my boat out at RR 20 they never said one word about taking out there. Plus there's not one sign around that whole section of land that says no motorized vehicles. If it was posted I wouldn't be using it, it's that simple.

I never said I was floating anything but that been said I've had very few problems with jet boaters myself. Sure I've had some zoom by me but whatever they got just as much right to be there as me. That's funny cause I sat and talked to 2 conservation officers after taking my boat out at RR 20 they never said one word about taking out there. Plus there's not one sign around that whole section of land that says no motorized vehicles. If it was posted I wouldn't be using it, it's that simple.

I wasn't attacking your post just adding some details of the float to watch out for. Drunk drivers also have the right to be on the road but it doesn't make it ok. Most jet boaters are pretty considerate but the few that look @ you as a pest they make that known to you. I have been told to get of their river as they flashed their beer @ me in not so nice terms. It is the bad eggs not the whole dozen that can be trouble. I have contacted the Feds several times for drinking but I can not confirm any arrests.

As for launching at the Markerville Natural Area the signs are there but go missing when who ever cuts the fence. If someone steels the speed limit sign on the highway is that an excuse you use with the RCMP. Not all officers are aware of this issue yet. Attached is a link to the uses of a Natural Area and on highway vehilce use is not one of them.

Regulations - Download Regulations Brochure (854 kb)

Parks and protected areas regulations protect natural and cultural features; they also ensure that visitors to Alberta's parks and protected areas have an enjoyable stay. To view copies of legislation and regulations associated with parks and protected areas management, visit the Queen's Printer web site (catalogue search keywords "Provincial Parks Act", "Wilderness Areas, Ecological Reserves, Natural Areas and Heritage Rangelands Act" and "Willmore Wilderness Park Act").

Park Conservation Officers are Special Constables, which gives them the authority to enforce all regulations under the Provincial Parks Act, including issuing citations and penalties for offences.

Specified Penalties for Offences

Effective November 1, 2005, changes have been made to the specified penalties for offences under the Provincial Parks Act. Penalties range from $50 to $500 for more than 50 different infractions, including camping in non-designated areas, removing firewood from a park and pets off leash.

Penalties for violations have remained unchanged since the mid-‘80s and were no longer seen as a deterrent.

Most penalties are increasing to a more effective deterrent of $100, $150 and $250. Some examples include:

Leaving a fire unattended increases from $50 to $250.

Failing to extinguish a fire, coals, etc. before leaving increases from $50 to $250.

Unauthorized operation of a motor vehicle/off-highway vehicle in a park/recreation area increases from $50 to $250.

I wasn't attacking your post just adding some details of the float to watch out for. Drunk drivers also have the right to be on the road but it doesn't make it ok. Most jet boaters are pretty considerate but the few that look @ you as a pest they make that known to you. I have been told to get of their river as they flashed their beer @ me in not so nice terms. It is the bad eggs not the whole dozen that can be trouble. I have contacted the Feds several times for drinking but I can not confirm any arrests.

As for launching at the Markerville Natural Area the signs are there but go missing when who ever cuts the fence. If someone steels the speed limit sign on the highway is that an excuse you use with the RCMP. Not all officers are aware of this issue yet. Attached is a link to the uses of a Natural Area and on highway vehilce use is not one of them.

Regulations - Download Regulations Brochure (854 kb)

Parks and protected areas regulations protect natural and cultural features; they also ensure that visitors to Alberta's parks and protected areas have an enjoyable stay. To view copies of legislation and regulations associated with parks and protected areas management, visit the Queen's Printer web site (catalogue search keywords "Provincial Parks Act", "Wilderness Areas, Ecological Reserves, Natural Areas and Heritage Rangelands Act" and "Willmore Wilderness Park Act").

Park Conservation Officers are Special Constables, which gives them the authority to enforce all regulations under the Provincial Parks Act, including issuing citations and penalties for offences.

Specified Penalties for Offences

Effective November 1, 2005, changes have been made to the specified penalties for offences under the Provincial Parks Act. Penalties range from $50 to $500 for more than 50 different infractions, including camping in non-designated areas, removing firewood from a park and pets off leash.

Penalties for violations have remained unchanged since the mid-‘80s and were no longer seen as a deterrent.

Most penalties are increasing to a more effective deterrent of $100, $150 and $250. Some examples include:

Leaving a fire unattended increases from $50 to $250.

Failing to extinguish a fire, coals, etc. before leaving increases from $50 to $250.

Unauthorized operation of a motor vehicle/off-highway vehicle in a park/recreation area increases from $50 to $250.

I don't need someone to tell me the laws, for one thing I don't break the law not intentionally nor through ignorance. You quoted me so to me you were speaking to me. I have made the appropriate phone calls and yes it is the Markerville Natural area but as far a everyone is concerned the launch is gov't land and it is for public use. No one is going to write you a ticket for using this boat launch.

I have been putting up with people ripping up the places I have been fishing all my life, with their quads, to the point where I can't even enjoy going out there any more. So I don't feel too bad backing up my truck 20 feet to a mud hole, to pick up my boat.

This doesn't need to be discussed any further.

Sorry your info is false do as you wish @ your peril. I was only trying to warn others.

What are you going to do beat me up. Stop your bullshit buddy. Coming on here and trying to scare people from using a public launch is lame. So you're right and 3 Government branches are wrong?

Here you go guys. Click on the legal land description.

http://albertaparks.ca/siteinformation.aspx?id=452

Thanks weedy1. I've already talked to the Parks Alberta officer in charge of this area, he told me there's no problem using this launch and if anyone hassles me for it to just call the RCMP. Which kinda goes against my nature but guess its better than doing 25 to life. Ok joking sort of.