Fly Fusion Forums

Kananaskis Advice

I might be staying at the interlakes campground this weekend. I have fished the upper and lower lake before, with some success. However I'm wondering:

Am I wasting my time if I fish the shore at the interlakes campground? Should I go elsewhere to fish (i.e. dam)?

How are the upper / lower lake fishing these days? Should I go somewhere else in k-country (will have kids with me on at least one outing)?

Wooly Bugger vs. Streamer vs. any other recommendations?

Any help would be appreciated. I know the lakes can be super tough to fish and don't want to be in a position of disappointing my kids or questioning whether i will ever be able to catch a fish in my lifetime.

thanks!

brew

ps. might have a coulpe kayaks at my disposal.

I don't know much about fishing the Upper/Lower lakes, but there are lots here that can speak to that.

You can head out to Elbow Lake, which is a 20-30 minute drive from your campground, and then a 1.2km hike to the lake. That should be doable with kids. There's lots of little brookies there, and you can keep up to 5 of them if you want to eat them. The lake is overpopulated with brookies, so you'd do the lake some good by taking a few out. Fishing is great from shore.

Anything small (size 18 Adams, parachute Adams, mosquitoes, griffiths gnats, etc.) work well with 6x tippet, and for kids, you can tie on a bobber, then 2 feet of tippet and a small nymph. Cast out and reel in, and you should get some tugs.

Hope that helps.

rumour has it that there are big bullies that hang out where the tailrace from the interlakes power plant enters the lake. apparently they like big streamers.

be cautious around the outflow as water levels can rise and fall quickly.

anyways, those are just rumours.

I might be staying at the interlakes campground this weekend. I have fished the upper and lower lake before, with some success. However I'm wondering:

Am I wasting my time if I fish the shore at the interlakes campground? Should I go elsewhere to fish (i.e. dam)?

How are the upper / lower lake fishing these days? Should I go somewhere else in k-country (will have kids with me on at least one outing)?

Wooly Bugger vs. Streamer vs. any other recommendations?

Any help would be appreciated. I know the lakes can be super tough to fish and don't want to be in a position of disappointing my kids or questioning whether i will ever be able to catch a fish in my lifetime.

thanks!

brew

ps. might have a coulpe kayaks at my disposal.

Right at your campground like along that shore id say your waisting your time, but walk to eather the inflow right below the upper lake, to the creek that flows in at the far end of your campground or to the dam at the far end of the lake by the boat launch and you should get some fish. Eather that or just head to the upper lake and you should have no trouble catching the cutts in there right now. Some other places to try near you with a bit of a hike like 5km are lillian, galatea and rawson all have some nice cutts. Have a nice trip.

Cheers.

They stocked 14,000 cutthroat trout into the upper lake in early June. Averaging 30cm- and bulls will be stocked this fall.

If you have no luck catching a fish, you will most likely be able to catch someone using bait illegally. Phone is located in parking lot near boat launch.