Fly Fusion Forums

Big Fine

This is out of the Brooks weekend paper. Good to see that some people get caught. It was the eyes of other fisherman and a call to the RAP line that helped catch this guy. Just a reminder that it does work so lets keep calling in poachers.

post-1098-1282332465.jpg

We were about to drift last Saturday from FC and my partner saw a lady of foreign descent with a Brown in a white bag which was about 24" and a younger fella with another white bag with at least four or five smaller fish in it. We watched as they returned to their vehicle, deposited the fish into a cooler, rigged up their lines again(couldn't tell if they were using bait, but it looked like they were using treble hooks) and returned to the water. Surprisingly, when the rap line was called the Officer was in the park and immediately made his way to the area. He found the couple and he was last seen hauling out of the coolers (they had two) a bunch of fish. Being that the RAP line is "confidential", he winked at us as we went to put our boat in.

It looked as if they were facing some charges.

Karma, my friends, Karma.

FHD

I too saw the effects of 'foreigners' fishing at the upper lake a few weeks back. I'm tellin' ya everything they caught was bagged. I realize that it has been stocked and fish over 12" are allowed to be kept, but c'mon, there is still a daily limit. They never caught any bulls but I had my suspicions that they would have been happy to take them as well.

This is what should happen every single time they catch someone poaching. Forget the "warnings" crap. If a person had to pay 3 grand out of their pocket every time, I highly doubt there would be very many repeat offenders!

I also agree with fining as heavy as possible but there are some out there that 3 grand is pennies in thier pocket, so lets not just fine thembut maybe also take away thier fishing priviledges for not just a limited time but maybe a few years or so. money is one thing but taking away the access to thier rods for an extended period of time may be the bigger fine in the end. Just my thoughts!!!!

I got to catch Billy Bob and Cleatus fishing with bait. Took F&W an hour to arrive. Called them twice after seeing them pull a large trout out on to the shore. Thought for sure they were keeping something. But of course, when he arrived he only managed to bust them for barbed hooks and bait.

After they left F&W stayed behind and searched the shoreline for anything. Came over and asked how it went and said he was seeing what they left behind.

Found a 19'' bow caught in the weeds and 22'' brown washed up further down stream.

The Bow had a hook stuck in a fingers length within its mouth, didn't seem to be deep enough to kill the fish that quickly. The brown didn't seem to have anything too wrong with it.

I hope they get busted for the 2 trout we found but, i doubt they can be convicted of it since they were found in the river and not on them.

but there are some out there that 3 grand is pennies in thier pocket

I don't think people who think 3 grand is pennies are the ones who are bonking fish for food but I agree there should be more then just finacial penalties. Fishing Community services come to mind. They could be forced to tie up my next batch of flies!

I was upper lake at Kananaskis Sunday, there were 3 fellas down about 50 yards and they were using bait, as I walked by them I politely told them that bait wasnt allowed in the lake, they didnt respond and kept fishing, so I politely pulled my cell phone out and they pulled up camp and left, little did they realize there is no phone cell coverage there.

I was upper lake at Kananaskis Sunday, there were 3 fellas down about 50 yards and they were using bait, as I walked by them I politely told them that bait wasnt allowed in the lake, they didnt respond and kept fishing, so I politely pulled my cell phone out and they pulled up camp and left, little did they realize there is no phone cell coverage there.

LMAO :clapping: Good one. Nobody said poachers were smart....... <--poke--<

Hey 420, I agree with going BC on there ass, But this does apply in Ab as well but unfortunatly only on the Hunting side of things. I am an advid hunter as well and if you are caught poaching big game they can take your guns, cars, hunting and fishing privladges. So my question is why only when poaching big game do these serious actions take place? Deer, Moose, Elk, Brown, Bow or cut, they are all the same to me!!!!

I was fishing the Oldman a couple of weeks ago and I came across the remains of a bull trout someone attempted to fillet. Right down from a random camp site.

3 things need to be done to reduce the effects of poaching on Alberta's waterbodies:

1. More enforcement

2. Tougher fines

3. Greater publicity around violations

Of course none of this will occur.

Great news on the heavy hit. People shouldn't hesitate to call, don't matter if previous calls went wrong for what ever reason. There is the chance you can make a cheat pay up but you could be rewarded, a close friend recieved the knoledge he did right and $300.00 that was of soon reinvested in fancier that usual fly fish gear. Keep smiling.

It's good to see some good fines being laid in these cases. Just surfing some Newfoundland poaching news and fines, here's one of them:

On July 14, 2009 at Provincial Court in Gander, NL, Jamie Gleason of Virgin Arm, NL was convicted of using a line equipped with more than one hook while angling in scheduled waters, jigging Atlantic salmon in inland waters and possessing Atlantic salmon caught in contravention. He received a total fine of $2,000.00. A car, rod & reel, five (5) Atlantic salmon and associated fishing tackle were forfeited to the Crown. Mr. Gleason was apprehended by IFEP officers during Operation "Double Claw". An undercover operation conducted on the Campbellton River by IFEP during the summers of 2007 and 2008.

More:

Poaching on the Humber River Results in Significant Penalties

In response to concerns expressed by local residents and conservation groups about poaching activities on the Humber River near the spillway at Deer Lake, an extensive undercover investigation by Department of Justice Inland Fish Enforcement officers has resulted in significant fines and penalties. Commenced in 2007 Operation Click resulted in eight individuals receiving fishing prohibitions ranging from one to five years. As well, fines totalling more than $20,000 have been imposed and a significant amount of equipment has been forfeited. Officers are continuing to respond to complaints of salmon poaching and during the last two weeks, seven investigations involving illegal netting in the Bay St. George and Notre Dame Bay areas have taken place. These investigations resulted in 30 charges against nine individuals, including the offences of illegal netting of Atlantic salmon, illegal possession of salmon and obstruction of a peace officer. Also, 13 Atlantic salmon, a pick-up truck, an all-terrain vehicle, two boats, and an assortment of fishing related equipment have been seized. Since Inland Fish Enforcement commenced 2009 seasonal operations in May, a total of 117 fish-related charges against 55 individuals have been filed. Numerous offences involving all-terrain vehicles, hunting and firearms violations have also been encountered.

More interesting reading from SPAWN

http://www.spawn1.ca/2009Convictions.html

I spent the last week fishing the RAM system and then the Crowsnest area and was stopped in both areas by CO's who checked my license and barbs. I thought they were doing a terrific job and told them so. The officers on the RAM spent the day going round and checked every single fisherman I saw.

By contrast, I can fish a lifetime in NB and not get stopped once. I've seen people gutting illegal fish across the river from the Ranger station while the Rangers pressure-wash their trucks and wave to their cousins across the river who are getting "dinner" for them of the last few remaining brook trout around.

Alberta you seem to be doing a great job of enforcement. Keep it up. You deserve the wonderful fisheries you've created.

I spent the last week fishing the RAM system and then the Crowsnest area and was stopped in both areas by CO's who checked my license and barbs. I thought they were doing a terrific job and told them so. The officers on the RAM spent the day going round and checked every single fisherman I saw.

By contrast, I can fish a lifetime in NB and not get stopped once. I've seen people gutting illegal fish across the river from the Ranger station while the Rangers pressure-wash their trucks and wave to their cousins across the river who are getting "dinner" for them of the last few remaining brook trout around.

Alberta you seem to be doing a great job of enforcement. Keep it up. You deserve the wonderful fisheries you've created.

Seriously? That's great news! In 30 years of fishing in Alberta, I've only been asked for my license once, in Fish Creek Park.