Fly Fusion Forums

The One That Got Away

stoby1

Had a run in with a large Bow river fish of unknown species this weekend and got beaten up pretty badly. I'm streamer fishing in mid-river with water at my waist. After the hookup the fish turned downstream and kept going at a strong and steady pace. The drag was set to what I believe was right for the 1X tippet. Anyway after more than half my backing was gone I increased the drag a couple of notches and next thing I know the hook pulls out. My question is should I have scambled to shore and tried to follow the fish downstream or is there some other technique is could have tried?

Thanks for any insight

You could try to use heavier tippet. Your choice though, following the fish works well unless you encounter an obstacle like deep water or high banks. You could also look to your equipment, is it fly gear for large trout? Lots of variables including tension of the moment and experience. There be monsters out there including species other than Trout.

Had a run in with a large Bow river fish of unknown species this weekend and got beaten up pretty badly. I'm streamer fishing in mid-river with water at my waist. After the hookup the fish turned downstream and kept going at a strong and steady pace. The drag was set to what I believe was right for the 1X tippet. Anyway after more than half my backing was gone I increased the drag a couple of notches and next thing I know the hook pulls out. My question is should I have scambled to shore and tried to follow the fish downstream or is there some other technique is could have tried?

Thanks for any insight

1X tippet is very heavy for the Bow, although you don't need to go lighter with streamer fishing. Try to put a lot of pressure on the fish from the onset. Keep in at 90' to the current if you can as it will tire him quickly. Never point your rod tip at the fish, Your rod is a shock aborber that doesn't work if you are pointing it at the fish. Move to slower water as fast as you can. Always be prepared to let him run. If you lock it up you are going to lose the fish regardless of your tippet. A good reel with a smooth drag really helps....Another time to remember is that the line itself has drag in the water. Once you get a lot of line out in current, the greater the load on your reel...

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely get a little more aggressive at the outset and keep a good bend in the rod. I'm not a complete stranger to some of the bigger Bow river fish, just the sheer power of this specimen blew me away.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

no pro but all i can say it rod tip up, unless its a 3wt or less dont worry about going up to 12o'clock. With my 2wt it i try not to take it above 10 and most fish run long on a 2wt

but if its weren't for the one that got away i would never go back to a spot.

chase that fish dude!!! i use 0x and heavier when streamer fishing the bow!!! havnt u ever saw a river runs through it!!! side pressure down and towards te bank too helps!! we all get beat dont sweat it!!! but sidepressure and moving down with the fish can be key to improving your odds!

There can be times when a fish streaks away that the hook is not actually in the mouth. Once the right angle is achieved the hook pulls out. Perhaps such a situation could have occurred.

We just use a piece of 12lb maxima for streamer fishing

Guest Jeremie

Swinging streams close to the banks? 1 foot of 10 pound trilene attached to 1 food of 15 pound maxima as a shock leader. Thats what i like, if i go with a sink tip 2 feet of scientific anglers 10lb test, if its a streamer attached to just floating for pounding the banks, i like the 10 pound-15 pound leader i suggested. I am making a switch over to tube fly streamers, with the stingers cause i cant seem to get a proper hook set.