Fly Fusion Forums

Interesting Articles On C&r Fishing

C&R zealots who treat c&r as a religious conviction should all be drowned.

Comments by some members on this website I hope they are strong swimmers if you are near..

Reading through some of the readers comments on the NYT article made me realize just how easy it may be for the "anti" crowd to sway someone with no real opinion on the subject. It was an eye opener for me.

With the" Political correctness" movement always gaining strength on half-truths and emotional response that morphs into truth and fact with so many environmental issues, sure would be easy for some to justify closing down watersheds that are deemed "C&R" because of threatened/native species.

I strongly believe that to truly protect native species in many their remaining watersheds what's needed is a MUST KILL regulation. You catch a invasive or a hybrid you have to by law kill it. I can hear the howls now, " What about the people who can't tell a walleye from an bull trout?" Well, in reality that's just an enforcement issue, more COs on the ground and in all honesty a few dead natives will cause a helluva lot less impact than hordes of brookies, cuttbows, mongrelized rainbows and brown trout will. Whats the answer? I don't know... special license where you have to pass an ID test if you want to fish streams containing native sport fish???

I spent Wednesday fishing a stream that used to have cutthroat and brook trout 10-15 yrs ago. I fished 5 km up the valley and never saw a single frickin' cutt and it pisses me off immensely.

I strongly believe that to truly protect native species in many their remaining watersheds what's needed is a MUST KILL regulation. You catch a invasive or a hybrid you have to by law kill it. I can hear the howls now, " What about the people who can't tell a walleye from an bull trout?" Well, in reality that's just an enforcement issue, more COs on the ground and in all honesty a few dead natives will cause a helluva lot less impact than hordes of brookies, cuttbows, mongrelized rainbows and brown trout will. Whats the answer? I don't know... special license where you have to pass an ID test if you want to fish streams containing native sport fish???

I spent Wednesday fishing a stream that used to have cutthroat and brook trout 10-15 yrs ago. I fished 5 km up the valley and never saw a single frickin' cutt and it pisses me off immensely.

What did you catch in the stream?

What did you catch in the stream?

Whadda think ....them purdy little char that are half head. Don't worry, I turned them all respectfully loose, I couldn't bring myself to chuck'm in the bush but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to bring a couple dozen home for supper

Whadda think ....them purdy little char that are half head. Don't worry, I turned them all respectfully loose, I couldn't bring myself to chuck'm in the bush but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to bring a couple dozen home for supper

Taco, I don't know where you were fishing and don't need to know but if you talk to Jim Stelfox or Jenn Earle you can get a 'Stewardship Licence' (ID test required) and start to take care of the Brookie problem. I got one to keep the Highwood clean.

Lee

Well hello Lee! How's it goin'?

Aren't those Stewardship Licenses creek specific or do they specify an entire drainage or part of the Province you can harvest in ? I was under the impression they were creek specific and as such never bothered. My usual fishin' grounds doesn't have a brookie problem that I'm aware of. The Castle and the Crow do and the creek I was referring to is in your neck of the woods.

I love this quote. Wish I could have put it so succinctly:

"Fishing is an act of predation, no matter how pure your intentions, no matter how cosseted by clichés like “noble battle” and “worthy opponent.” A fish counts its tender release not as a gesture of interspecies solidarity but as a lucky escape from a terrifying and painful death."

I love this quote. Wish I could have put it so succinctly:

"Fishing is an act of predation, no matter how pure your intentions, no matter how cosseted by clichés like “noble battle” and “worthy opponent.” A fish counts its tender release not as a gesture of interspecies solidarity but as a lucky escape from a terrifying and painful death."

Not sure I buy the "terrifying" part, though.

What surprised me most about the comments was how many people are willing to put human-level emotions on fish. One guy even went so far as to call it 'empathy.' Like he can sympathize with what a fish is feeling, and still be able to read the NYT!

What surprised me most about the comments was how many people are willing to put human-level emotions on fish. One guy even went so far as to call it 'empathy.' Like he can sympathize with what a fish is feeling, and still be able to read the NYT!

Lol, those guys are comical. They must have this image of these fish in the water swimming home to there under water fish castles "Honey, I'm home" "Oh Hi Sweety, dinners on the table!" "Your the best Hon, *Nom, Nom, Nom*" "OH SHEET SWEET MOTHER OF A HELL A HOOK!!!"...lol I could go on, but you know where the story is going.

Mother nature is one cruel Son of a B*tch a hook through the lip is nothing in comparison to what is out there. They should go protest and make a picket line for the Grizzlies during a salmon run!

Well hello Lee! How's it goin'?

Aren't those Stewardship Licenses creek specific or do they specify an entire drainage or part of the Province you can harvest in ? I was under the impression they were creek specific and as such never bothered. My usual fishin' grounds doesn't have a brookie problem that I'm aware of. The Castle and the Crow do and the creek I was referring to is in your neck of the woods.

Things are going well Taco, thanks for asking.

The Stewardship Licence covers you for multiple streams and sections of those streams (eg; upstream of 940 on the Highwood) and are all listed on the single licence. Hopefully in time, things can expanded to more areas and start to branch over to some other species as well. Some day the rainbow/red-band/cutthroat thing may get cleared up and progress can be made in that direction down where you are.

Have a good one, later.