Fly Fusion Forums

Sad Day At Calgary Airport - Fly Fishers Beware!!!

I had a lousy day at the Calgary airport. As context, I come home to Alberta each year to visit family and flyfish, and on my way back to Texas I had a sad experience with the security screeners at YYC.

The security line was very long and for whatever reason they were hand checking every bag in extreme detail. Well, I made it through the metal detector and two airport employees started screening my bags and going through every pocket, nook and cranny of my backpack. I had tossed my flyfishing bag inside my pack, and when they opened it they inspected every split shot, leader, spool of tippet, strike indicator and when they got to my flies they nearly had a fit. They told me I can't take fishing hooks on the plane (it turns out they are right, but I have done this dozens of times and nobody ever said anything). I showed them how small the hooks are (mostly size 16-22) and suggested they were no risk to anyone. That didn't work, so I explained that there are over 300 flies in my boxes with a value of $400-$500, but to no avail. They said they would throw them away for me. I said this is ridiculous, I fly with flies as carry-on all the time and I have had security screeners see my flies and wish me luck on my fishing trip. One of the screeners looked at me, starts shaking her head and said "listen, I will not risk losing my job for your fishing hooks." I replied "OK, but please don't throw them away, give them to someone because these flies are worth a lot of money and someone you know who fishes will appreciate receiving them." She then says, well you can always mail them to yourself. I respond saying "because it took me almost 90 minutes to get through your security line, my flight leaves in 5 minutes, my wife and four children are on the plane, and I can't miss my flight." :curse: Her reply "well, that isn't my fault, is it?" The irony should have been comical, but at this point I felt like I was in another reality and getting dizzy at the thought of losing every fly I own. They also took my three fly boxes and the fishing bag they were in.

So, the moral of the story is -- WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T FORGET TO PUT YOUR FLY BOXES IN YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE!!!!! I can' tell you how painful it was watching them throw every flybox I own in the garbage and sweep the flies I had tried to pull out of the foam in an effort to save the boxes into the trash. Ouch!! :crybaby:

lesson to learn...

but you could have avoid this by going to the airport earlier... not 5mins before your flight. then you could have a chance to mail/add extra luggage.

ericlin0122

Maybe read a little closer. Clinton clearly states that they were at the airport early.

Clinton Posted Today, 01:22 PM

I had a lousy day at the Calgary airport. As context, I come home to Alberta each year to visit family and flyfish, and on my way back to Texas I had a sad experience with the security screeners at YYC.

The security line was very long and for whatever reason they were hand checking every bag in extreme detail. Well, I made it through the metal detector and two airport employees started screening my bags and going through every pocket, nook and cranny of my backpack. I had tossed my flyfishing bag inside my pack, and when they opened it they inspected every split shot, leader, spool of tippet, strike indicator and when they got to my flies they nearly had a fit. They told me I can't take fishing hooks on the plane (it turns out they are right, but I have done this dozens of times and nobody ever said anything). I showed them how small the hooks are (mostly size 16-22) and suggested they were no risk to anyone. That didn't work, so I explained that there are over 300 flies in my boxes with a value of $400-$500, but to no avail. They said they would throw them away for me. I said this is ridiculous, I fly with flies as carry-on all the time and I have had security screeners see my flies and wish me luck on my fishing trip. One of the screeners looked at me, starts shaking her head and said "listen, I will not risk losing my job for your fishing hooks." I replied "OK, but please don't throw them away, give them to someone because these flies are worth a lot of money and someone you know who fishes will appreciate receiving them." She then says, well you can always mail them to yourself. I respond saying "because it took me almost 90 minutes to get through your security line, my flight leaves in 5 minutes, my wife and four children are on the plane, and I can't miss my flight." Her reply "well, that isn't my fault, is it?" The irony should have been comical, but at this point I felt like I was in another reality and getting dizzy at the thought of losing every fly I own. They also took my three fly boxes and the fishing bag they were in.

So, the moral of the story is -- WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T FORGET TO PUT YOUR FLY BOXES IN YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE!!!!! I can' tell you how painful it was watching them throw every flybox I own in the garbage and sweep the flies I had tried to pull out of the foam in an effort to save the boxes into the trash. Ouch!!

Russ C

Second time this has happened isn't it? Same thing happened to that lady from overseas last year if memory serves?

That's brutal Clinton. Where do you live in Texas? If it's near the coast, maybe I can put you on some salt water trout next time I'm in town. Not worth $300 in flies, but better than nothing!

I can picture it now...

"Hey everyone! I'm taking over the airplane, and if you try and mess with me, I'll tie you up with 6X tippet and go Wolverine on your ass with my size 18 Adams claws!"

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. I think Calgary's airport security is the strictest I've seen anywhere, even more than the frisking I got in Manilla.

It was a strange morning -- we showed up almost 2 hours before departure. It has never taken that long before to get through immigration and security. Well, no terrorist attacks today using bead head pheasant tails, or my favorite, the deadly size 18 elk-hair caddis ;)

I visit this site daily for a vicarious fill of fly fishing, but I never did see that post from the lady who lost her flies -- my bad, I guess.

rickr, it has been fun watching you become a convert to the fly fishing life in Alberta. Thanks for the offer to go fishing for specs. I live in North Texas, so it is quite a haul down to the coast. I can't complain, Texas and her people have been truly great to me and my family, but I sure do miss Alberta trout streams.

I admit that my first post was a bit of a rant to let off steam, but the main purpose was to get the word out to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else traveling with their fly boxes in carry-on bags.

Sorry about the whole North Texas thing, but it could be worse, you could be in Oklahoma! ;)

Just kidding of course, great people up there. Maybe not the most liberal spot on the planet.

And it's been fun becoming a fly fishing convert! You get any bass fishing in up there?

I have chased bass here in North Texas some, and I have to admit that having a big ol' bucketmouth flush a topwater lure is a real adrenalin rush. I don't love it like I do flyfishing for trout, but at the end of the day, its all good.

If you ever pass through DFW, give me a shout, I'll buy you some BBQ. I imagine living in Calgary you must be going crazy for some real BBQ and Tex-Mex.

Guest Sundancefisher

The security line was very long and for whatever reason they were hand checking every bag in extreme detail. Well, I made it through the metal detector and two airport employees started screening my bags and going through every pocket, nook and cranny of my backpack. I had tossed my flyfishing bag inside my pack, and when they opened it they inspected every split shot, leader, spool of tippet, strike indicator and when they got to my flies they nearly had a fit. They told me I can't take fishing hooks on the plane (it turns out they are right, but I have done this dozens of times and nobody ever said anything). I showed them how small the hooks are (mostly size 16-22) and suggested they were no risk to anyone. That didn't work, so I explained that there are over 300 flies in my boxes with a value of $400-$500, but to no avail. They said they would throw them away for me. I said this is ridiculous, I fly with flies as carry-on all the time and I have had security screeners see my flies and wish me luck on my fishing trip. One of the screeners looked at me, starts shaking her head and said "listen, I will not risk losing my job for your fishing hooks." I replied "OK, but please don't throw them away, give them to someone because these flies are worth a lot of money and someone you know who fishes will appreciate receiving them." She then says, well you can always mail them to yourself. I respond saying "because it took me almost 90 minutes to get through your security line, my flight leaves in 5 minutes, my wife and four children are on the plane, and I can't miss my flight." :curse: Her reply "well, that isn't my fault, is it?" The irony should have been comical, but at this point I felt like I was in another reality and getting dizzy at the thought of losing every fly I own. They also took my three fly boxes and the fishing bag they were in.

So, the moral of the story is -- WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T FORGET TO PUT YOUR FLY BOXES IN YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE!!!!! I can' tell you how painful it was watching them throw every flybox I own in the garbage and sweep the flies I had tried to pull out of the foam in an effort to save the boxes into the trash. Ouch!! :crybaby:

Why can't they sell drop bags/bubble envelopes for $20 which includes postage to mail things right at security. They could charge and make a bit of money. I forgot my cheap leatherman imitation in my shorts pocket prior to going to Orlando. I was free and clear to board when I got extra screening. They found it then said it was not allowed. Clearly I new that was a fact. She offered to send me back to the start of customs...I said...keep it as a gift from me. Her eyes lit up like she knew it was a leatherman...funnily it only cost me $6 so I cared less. Scissors did not work well anyways.

Why can't they sell drop bags/bubble envelopes for $20 which includes postage to mail things right at security. They could charge and make a bit of money. I forgot my cheap leatherman imitation in my shorts pocket prior to going to Orlando. I was free and clear to board when I got extra screening. They found it then said it was not allowed. Clearly I new that was a fact. She offered to send me back to the start of customs...I said...keep it as a gift from me. Her eyes lit up like she knew it was a leatherman...funnily it only cost me $6 so I cared less. Scissors did not work well anyways.

Crap I feel your pain, just a perfect storm of bad timing and lousy luck. FWIW now that it is too late and not like you had time. Get them to call one of the Policemen that works at the airport-there are a couple that fish and by this stage role the dice, ask them to hold them at their office and you have friend coming to pick up. I am sure there are a few of us that work in the NE that wouldn't mind swinging by and throwing it in the mail for you.

Again sorry and hope you never have to ask or use the advice------

crazy crazy world we live in these days

it's also the same as fly reels , check them with your bags , i had a couple guys fly in and they had a tough choice , leave the fly reels behind or remove the lines , they said the fly lines could choke someone , they ripped the brand new lines off and backing , had to buy new stuff when they got into calgary , so i think it's best to just put everything in your main luggage and check it all in , then your ok

Guest Sundancefisher
crazy crazy world we live in these days

it's also the same as fly reels , check them with your bags , i had a couple guys fly in and they had a tough choice , leave the fly reels behind or remove the lines , they said the fly lines could choke someone , they ripped the brand new lines off and backing , had to buy new stuff when they got into calgary , so i think it's best to just put everything in your main luggage and check it all in , then your ok

The funniest thing is once I had a loose fly in my bag and they wanted to confiscate it. I talked with them for a bit...had an RCMP officer come over to provide security...all because I had a size 8 stimulator in my brief case. They asked why I can't give it up and I said I use it to catch trout. My favorite fly. In the end they had me put it in a zip lock back and swear not to open the bag during the flight. Wait...that wasn't the funniest part. I had 4 solid metal pens that came to a sharp point. Pens fine...small fish hooks...dangerous to national security. People tremble in fear at my approaching size 8 dry fly.

It's the way of the world now if you fly. My cousin came up from Arizona last spring to fish the Bow. He had 3 reels with him that he had to peel the silk lines off into a nearby garbage bin quite a few dollars there. He also lost all his tippets, floatant and 3 zingers. He barely got through with his reels. You do have to be careful when you fly. A lot of guys are now shipping their gear before they fly so it is here for them.

what i hate is that the 'security regulations' forces you to check expensive stuff in your luggage, which due to multiple customs agencies and misc regluations your bags cannot be locked either. i sitll zap tie the lock closed, customs can still open it but the 'other' people are a little less likely to do a quick toss and grab

some people arent as honest as others. bags get opened, expensive stuff gets 'lost'

I don't trust any of 'em, really don't like the idea of checking my gear. Going through IAH (Houston) on the way back from a trip to Mexico, I was carrying my rod in a tube looking for food when a security woman turned to me and kept yelling "sir?", when I came out of my bubble and realized she was yelling at me, I looked at her, she asked what is in the tube sir? I replyed that it was a rod, then she proceded to tell me how badly I had scared her as she figured it must be a firearm. Weird. The funny thing was that she didn't actually check it, she just took my word for it. Not sure how I would have gotten a firearm past security but whatever...I don;t like to check gear as bags often are "lost", I would lose my mind if one of my rods or reels disappeared. A friend had some very pricey tequilla (yes, there is fancy tequilla) coming back from mexico one time, got home, open bag, a quarter of the bottle of tequilla had mysteriously disappeared during the time the bag was checked.

I had an expensive engagement ring stolen from my checked luggage at YYC on a trip to Mexico. Strangely enough - I had hidden it in my fly box. Had to propose with a cheap ring bought on the beach. I don't trust anything checked anymore.

I have chased bass here in North Texas some, and I have to admit that having a big ol' bucketmouth flush a topwater lure is a real adrenalin rush. I don't love it like I do flyfishing for trout, but at the end of the day, its all good.

If you ever pass through DFW, give me a shout, I'll buy you some BBQ. I imagine living in Calgary you must be going crazy for some real BBQ and Tex-Mex.

BBQ is one thing. But yesterday I saw a picture of some relatives in Louisiana eating Jambalaya. That was sheer torture.

I like the fact you said "flush". When a trout or red hits a topwater lure, the 3 main terms are "slapped at it", for a quiet strike, "blow up" for a regular strike, and a really big one is a "toilet flush." Topwater fishing is about as good as it gets to me. I wouldn't say better than fly fishing, but it is damn close!