Fly Fusion Forums

Quad Crackdown Finally Coming

For all you folks who have been beaking off about about quads/random campers for all these read this:

News Release

August 5, 2010

Province seeks input on proposed regulation changes

Updated regulation a better tool to deal with abuse of public land

Edmonton... Albertans are asked for their input into proposed regulation changes being made to strengthen the management of public lands.

The changes under the Public Lands Act will allow the Alberta government to better manage general access to vacant public land, allow for stronger compliance and enforcement, and provide for appeals to ensure fairness and consistency in decision-making.

The changes provide the government with more ability to deal with the offenders who abuse public land. For example, government may be able to temporarily close an area to prevent loss or damage to public land from off-highway vehicle riders who drive through sensitive wet areas.

Public consultation is a key step in the process to develop the new regulations. Albertans are invited to complete an online survey regarding the proposed regulation changes at http://www.srd.alberta.ca/Newsroom/SRDSurveys/Default.aspx or mail in a completed survey to:

Legislative Services Unit, Sustainable Resource Development

2nd Floor South Petroleum Plaza

9915-108 Street

Edmonton, Alberta

T5K 2G8

Feedback must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. on September 17, 2010, to allow time to evaluate the submissions. Public comments will be reviewed and considered as the regulations are developed.

Then click on the web address and fill out the survey. If you snooze you loose because you can bet the maverick quad-zidiots will be doing their best to stop or water down the legislation which will hopefully go a long way to spoiling their fun.

I must point out this is not in any meant to offend or tarnish the thousands of responsible Alberta OHVers who respect nature, share the landscape and stay on the trails.

Now let's see if the Stelmachistas have the stomach to follow through with this pretty tough regulatory change.

For all you folks who have been beaking off about about quads/random campers for all these read this...:

Neil, certainly you count yourself amongst those who "beak" off, don't you? Why, one only has to read your columns in the Sun or AB Outdoorsmen...

And, btw, its "snooze you lose" (I'm on public record about being anal about the "loose/lose" screw-ups, and have dedicated my life towards correcting it...)

Smitty

Mike, Neil doesn't have an editor to go through his posts on public forums! LoL :P

Nice catch!

P

P.S. We all make mistakes writing (spelling, grammer, etc.) on public forums (myself included - and I've been nailed after pointing out other peoples mistakes). Even professionals like Neil aren't immune!

Neil, certainly you count yourself amongst those who "beak" off, don't you? Why, one only has to read your columns in the Sun or AB Outdoorsmen...

And, btw, its "snooze you lose" (I'm on public record about being anal about the "loose/lose" screw-ups, and have dedicated my life towards correcting it...)

Smitty

Re: Smitty.

Wouldn't you agree that there are a lot of arm chair politicians on this board. Basically preaching to the converted but seldom heard outside this charmed circle.

Now is the time for the tribe to pull together.

Just like when there was a subversive move underway to hijack the "quality" fishery regs at Bullshead or the Oldman River Chapter's showdown with some AFGA elements over the trophy lake designation at Police Outpost.

FILL OUT THE SURVEY!!!

I just filled it out. I appreciated the survey and how it seemed to be wanting to crack down on ATV use but seemed to have very little about random camping issues and the RV villages with literally hundreds of RV's every summer. I mentioned that in my comments but.... at least most of it seems like a step in the right direction.

Survey completed. Everyone better fill this survey out, voices need to be heard. Not sure how I feel about this though, really just lip service. Without enforcement, what good are laws and regualtions? A two years and running provincial hiring freeze sure isn't going to give this thing any legs. I think it has potential to break up some of the larger gatherings, but there is no one on the ground to respond and monitor in most situations I have observed. We need enforcement in order for any of this to amount to anything more than a pound of beans in the "real world".

Just finished mine...

Just a footnote:

Fished the upper OldMan yesteday and noticed two things.

1) There is a bridge, which is closed off, I assume it is for logging trucks. Upstream a bit, 100 yards or so I saw a group on ATV's go through the river and up the other side to play in the logging area. The far bank was cut open so they could use it. Don't know who cut the bank, BUT :derby racer:....

2) Went through two random sites and they were very clean and well kept...also went through two day sites, one at the falls and there was quite a bit of garbage at both of them...

DanP

The bridge is for Spray Lakes logging access to Hidden Ck. The cut in the bank you noticed is the old access road into Hidden and has been there from before 1968 when I started to fish and hunt the upper OM Drainage.

Hey Guys,

I think that more regulations would be ok, but the best thing would be some enforcement of the current laws/regulations. Alot of people ignore the current laws/regulations so what will make these ones any different?

As some/many of you know I am an Atv'er who uses their atv responsibly and have been waiting for the government to do something about the abusers for at least 15 years. I am not sure if this survey will do anything. It has gained alot of interest from many user groups. I know the atv clubs are actively responding as well as many hunters and outdoorsman. Most are not liking what they are hearing and responding negatively, just look at the Alberta Outdoorsman Forum thread.

I filled out the survey and responded as an Atv'er, fisherman and forestry user. I am a little concerned about the way the government is going about this, but if it results in more enforcement and a better eastern slopes, I am all for it!

Just my 2 cents

Lance

Well it's a start. I remember when Forestry posted a notice on your illegal camp and if you didn't move it, they burnt it down.

And BC does:

quad.jpg

And Alberta - the gutsy wonders figure $2500 is about right.

Wouldn't it be great is the Govt grew some:

champballs2.jpg

catch ya'

Don

Just my 2 cents but it aint going to happen.Govt freezes for the next 2 years.No enforcement,Or lack of due to cuts.And the revenue from atvs,5th wheels,big ass trucks and fuel and grub,Far outweighs the amount we spend on flyfishn.Wishfull thinkin but.10000 rvrs in random spots wont stand up against 500 fly guys.yes its out of control but we cant enforce what we have now.Have seen polls from the Atvrs.campers hunters and hikers.After all the govt started the mess by privatizing the campgrounds driving everybody to public lands.Look at beaver mines absolute mess.Outhouses filled to the brim.no firewood.And thats a start.And with this years closures.Maycroft,cottonwood bla bla bla driving more to free campin.Have sent pics of permnent camps,there still there.It seems there are no rules.It is suggested that camps be moved every 2 weeks.Not enforced.EVERYBODY SAYS YAHOO BUT IT AINT GOING TO HAPPEN IN OUR LIFETIME.Its abloody mess.So enjoy it while you can.

Don't give up. Headway looks like it's being made. As much as we Albertan's like to think BC is screwing us over at times, there also doing a lot RIGHT. Just go fish some of their rivers to find out. There full of fish. Even the ones with a ton of people on them. Why? Becuase no one's bonking fish and taking them back to their random camps every miles of the river like on racehorse/oldman/livingstone, that's why. Hell the Castle near those campgrounds and quadding areas has nothing left either. Alberta is a damn shame. What we need is a fee like BC charges... and the proceeds going directly to enforcement and fishery rehabilitation / improvement. I'd gladly let them close the entire west slopes from grand prarie right on down to the montana border for 5 years so we can recoup what we've lost. And then go forward with a bright future and tight restrictions on land use and habitat destruction.