Fly Fusion Forums

Upgrade Time

Guest Foster

Guest Foster

so i started flyfishing about 3 years ago. gettin better and better each time i go out, now im looking to upgrade everthing pretty much besides boots. So im looking for some info on new waders breathable of course. rod, would like to jump into one of the top end brands, have a tfo at the moment, rio line not sure witch one to pick, reel would like one that comes with a extra spool. looking to spend up to a 600-1000$ on it all. and last of all where can i get some better quality flies ones at wholesale are well not the greatest and get mangled pretty easy

so i started flyfishing about 3 years ago. gettin better and better each time i go out, now im looking to upgrade everthing pretty much besides boots. So im looking for some info on new waders breathable of course. rod, would like to jump into one of the top end brands, have a tfo at the moment, rio line not sure witch one to pick, reel would like one that comes with a extra spool. looking to spend up to a 600-1000$ on it all. and last of all where can i get some better quality flies ones at wholesale are well not the greatest and get mangled pretty easy

best advice is can give you is dont get stuck on "name brands". go to a or several fly shops and test as many rods as you possibly can. figure out what suits your cast and compare the rods to each other, find out the warranty details.

the reel will depend on what you intend to fish for, do some research, figure out what you need and what will suit your needs.

ask questions. lots of questions, ask the same questions to people in a few different shops, figure out who knows what they are talking about and who knows sh!tte about sh!tte and is there to kill time. and remember they are sales people, there to sell you things.

understand your cast, your needs, what you intend to use the rod for and where before you go to the shops. sure i can talk you into a high mountain stream rod but it will be completely useless to you if all you want to do is fish lakes or even drift the Bow.

ask yourself some questions - why do you want to jump to a high end rod - is it for the name only, why do you need to upgrade, what dont you like about the TFO you have, what isnt working for you? do you want a brand just for the sake of having a brand, to look cool, the perception that a brand will make your cast better? if you can honestly answer those questions to yourself, you will have a better idea of what you need. keep in mind, if you cant cast and havent spent the time practicing, no brand of rod is going to help that, that is the one thing you can't take a short cut on, more money will not = a better cast.

lines - i have used everything from the Wal-Mart combo lines, snowbee, Opti, SA to Rio and several types of each. personally so far my favourite is SA GPX. but it all depends on preference and what you are doing. I can say for sure that the Opti-creek although great in concept, is not worth $140 and i have gone through 2 lines used 4 times each, 1 completely split and the other is cracked already.

as for flies, i cant really help you there, i tie my own but when most shops are selling 12 for $22-$28 and WS is selling theme for $8-12, you have to ask about the quality.

good luck

best advice is can give you is dont get stuck on "name brands". go to a or several fly shops and test as many rods as you possibly can. figure out what suits your cast and compare the rods to each other, find out the warranty details.

the reel will depend on what you intend to fish for, do some research, figure out what you need and what will suit your needs.

ask questions. lots of questions, ask the same questions to people in a few different shops, figure out who knows what they are talking about and who knows sh!tte about sh!tte and is there to kill time. and remember they are sales people, there to sell you things.

understand your cast, your needs, what you intend to use the rod for and where before you go to the shops. sure i can talk you into a high mountain stream rod but it will be completely useless to you if all you want to do is fish lakes or even drift the Bow.

ask yourself some questions - why do you want to jump to a high end rod - is it for the name only, why do you need to upgrade, what dont you like about the TFO you have, what isnt working for you? do you want a brand just for the sake of having a brand, to look cool, the perception that a brand will make your cast better? if you can honestly answer those questions to yourself, you will have a better idea of what you need. keep in mind, if you cant cast and havent spent the time practicing, no brand of rod is going to help that, that is the one thing you can't take a short cut on, more money will not = a better cast.

lines - i have used everything from the Wal-Mart combo lines, snowbee, Opti, SA to Rio and several types of each. personally so far my favourite is SA GPX. but it all depends on preference and what you are doing. I can say for sure that the Opti-creek although great in concept, is not worth $140 and i have gone through 2 lines used 4 times each, 1 completely split and the other is cracked already.

as for flies, i cant really help you there, i tie my own but when most shops are selling 12 for $22-$28 and WS is selling theme for $8-12, you have to ask about the quality.

good luck

like she said about the brands, get what works for you. i am also very pleased with my two SA GPX lines, lasted me two years so far. Check out some flyshops in calgary for flies like CP, Fishtales, or Bowriver for good quality. also BR just got in abel reels and winston rods, worth taking a look at.

Kyle Snarr

Guest Foster

allright, guess it time to start testing rods out :), i went out today after work and i think my line has had it. the first 2 feet of it is starting to sink =/ i have tryed to clean it and yeah it still sinks, it is not affecting me at the moment since im using nymphs this time of year.

allright, guess it time to start testing rods out :), i went out today after work and i think my line has had it. the first 2 feet of it is starting to sink =/ i have tryed to clean it and yeah it still sinks, it is not affecting me at the moment since im using nymphs this time of year.

If you didn't seal the line after you tied your nail knot it could just be water logged!

Guest Foster

its a loop to loop connection for the knot wholesale did it 3 years ago and im pretty sure they sealed it. chop the 2 feet off and redo it?

its a loop to loop connection for the knot wholesale did it 3 years ago and im pretty sure they sealed it. chop the 2 feet off and redo it?

I wouldn't chop two feet off, but a an inch past your leader would do fine. Just pull out 5-10 ft of line and hang it to dry for a couple day's before you tie and seal!

Here's the problem I ran into when I started upgrading...

I pretty much just had a 5wt TFO (decent) setup. I wanted something special. I realized it didn't make sense to get another 5wt, so I got a really sweet 3wt setup (i fish the elbow quite a bit). Then I got a sweet 7/8 switch setup (for the coast and here). I'm not sure what's next, but the last thing I'll likely upgrade is my 5wt.

I guess what i'm getting at is that you're going to eventually realize that you'll need one of everything (depending on where you fish most) and it might make sense not to upgrade your current rod wt but to start expanding your collection with equipment you will want to keep for a lifetime.

In other words you're screwed and will end up spending way more money than you will want to admit to anyone.

Here's the problem I ran into when I started upgrading...

I pretty much just had a 5wt TFO (decent) setup. I wanted something special. I realized it didn't make sense to get another 5wt, so I got a really sweet 3wt setup (i fish the elbow quite a bit). Then I got a sweet 7/8 switch setup (for the coast and here). I'm not sure what's next, but the last thing I'll likely upgrade is my 5wt.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you're going to eventually realize that you'll need one of everything (depending on where you fish most) and it might make sense not to upgrade your current rod wt but to start expanding your collection with equipment you will want to keep for a lifetime.

In other words you're screwed and will end up spending way more money than you will want to admit to anyone.

Probably the smarter way to go! Eventually you'll own 73 rods and only use two, might as well start diversifying now. :devil:

Tell you what, fishing rods do not hold their value all that well for the most part, and for good reason... fishermen keep buying the latest "improvements."

Go back a couple of years and find out what the hottest innovation was at the time and buy that rod on e-bay for a fraction of what it would have cost back in its day. If there is a rod you are particularly lusting after today wait until it is an outdated model and do the same thing.

Don't get too caught up in the hype. After all this is (for most of us) just a hobby, a way to unwind after a weeks work. Spend the $ on fuel and camping fees instead, get out and really enjoy yourself.

Memories are much, much more valuable than the latest offering from an American rod manufacturer.

sorry Eelpout - that was not meant to be a slag against sales people, i have worked in a retail sporting store. even in specialty stores, there are some people who know what they are talking about and there are those who do not. and generally if you ask questions and have any interpersonal skills you can figure out who doesnt know what they are talking about.

obviously investigation is needed but it helps if you get the person in the shop who knows what they are talking about from experience and have been around the block a few times.

and even if the sales person is not on commission, they are still being paid to be at work to sell people things. i just dont want to see people how are still relatively new to sport get talked into $1000 rod and reel because the sales person said it was the best thing out there and promised the moon. which i have seen time and again. and the poor person just doesnt understand why the equipment doesnt work for them and they give up.

Since I started this game about 4 yrs ago now I think, I have bought 5 or 6 rods, thereabouts. I have a 3, 4, 5, 6 and a 8. My go to right now are a 10 ft 5 wt (from a sponsor whos tag I see flashing now) and a 9 ft wt shop rod from Hanson's. Neither are really all that expensive, both cast great. I once used a custom rod from G&L Fly Craft ($1000 type of stick). Gorgeous, threw rockets. And while I loved having it in my hands, it didn't catch any more fish.

I don't want to dissuade you from buying a high end rod if that is what you want to do. But there are so many options to the upper end sticks, including sponsors on this site. Odds are you are going to get more than one rod in the next few years. Don't blow your budget on just one. Now if your budget is unlimited, have at 'er!!

i just recently bought a pair of simms g3 guides, because i usually fish about 100 to 150 days a year. I have aken them out in march when it was -5 and i had a pair of sweat pants underneath and didnt really ntoice the water. if your going to go "top end" for waders simms is what you need!! .

I own three rods at the moment, a tfo 6 wt, a sage vt2 custom 6wt and a sage flight 4wt. my first rod was a gift , but even though it didnt cost a thousand dollars for some reason it is the rod i catch most of my fish on!! the reasoning for me owning sage rods, is there incredable warranty, no qustions asked they will send it in and replace what ever you need, may it be a tip or what. Without a dought take a look at some sage rods they cast great and youll never have to retire them!!

The majority of my fishing is the bow in the earlier months and the oldman, crows, tributaries and those rivers in the summer. My 4 wt persorms flawlessly fishign for those cutts, i can throw nymph rigs, and dries with no trouble. But in the end it is all what feels good to you.

Buy the best quality gear you can afford (even if it's pre-owned)! Quality will always out last and out perform (and in most cases keep it's value) over "cheaper" gear. There are some good buys to be had on the trading post (look at CDone's custom rods he has up for sale) and with some of the board sponsors specials, so keep watching the trading post and sponsor threads. You most likely will be using the gear a lot, so also consider how you are going to use it and what's going to work for you, specifically...

Peter

waders $150 -200

boots 150 - 200

line $75 - 120

reel $75 - 200

extra spool $50 - 100

the high side of what i have given you is sort of mid range approx cost and only leaves you about 180 - 200 for a rod, which you can do but then you have also spent your full $1000

if your boots and waders are ok and can last through the season, spend the money on rod, reel and line now and see what kind of deal you can get when the Expo comes around again. toss the 2nd spool idea for now as most reels do not include a second spool, if you were thinking of using the spare spool for a full sinking line or something, you can get away with sink tips on a floating line and use loop to loop connections for quick change outs.