Fly Fusion Forums

Gonna Take The Plunge Need Advice.

creekside

Ok I've made up my mind and plan on taking the plunge and purchase a 4 or 5 weight switch rod. I presently own a 14' # 9 redington spey that I never use here in the rockies but really enjoy spey casting so it only makes sense to get a light shorter type of spey rod. So I would really appreciate some feed back on these 3 brands and what lines match the rods. Reels that I plan on using are either a #2 Marquis salmon or my Grey's saltwater reel.

St. Croix imperial, Amdson (spelling) or deer creek. Kind of leaning toward the Imperial.

I have my WW1134 lined up with a Snowbee 6/7 Scandi cut back to 290grains (3 ft off the front and 9ft off the rear) I'm really surprised at how well this set-up casts. I'm also using the matching WWXL7/9 reel.

IMG_5304.jpg

Haven't tried the St.Croix and not sure if the Deer Creek 4/5 is out yet

Colin

I've lined my Amundson 1134 with a 300 airflow scandi and an SA Sharkskin 8wt Steelhead taper both work well for spey, I also have a 6wt SA Sharkskin for single hand dry flies.

j

Was talking to one of the guys @ whislters fly shop and he highly recommended the Echo switch rod (had a look on the net and it's lets say rather interesting looking). Any opinions?

Take a browse on Speypages. I recall seeing a couple of threads about it there.

Why re-invent the wheel..I would suggest for you to go down to South Bow Fly And Takle and put the Beulah 4/5 into your hands...this is the small rod that started the Switch Rod revolution and for good reason...add to this reasoning that the Beulah Elixir Line was also designed for this rod that ironically crosses over to the rods that followed...

Rmember that the Beulah 4/5 Switch rod is a true trouter,Sweeeeet

C

i should have my amundson 1134 tomorrow. i have sorted out my line issues and will be set up this weekend. if you want to give it a try, let me know.

but more than anything else, before you decide to buy, go to fish tales, south bow and every other fly shop in town and try them all. see what fits you and your cast and your comfort. then decide

what works for one person may not work for you.