Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Spey Rods

CrisD

I would like to try that S series, let me know where and when.

Thanks Doug

doug

at last , back now from that turbine job , and back from idaho picking up my new ride , someday this week in the evening if you want to hookup and try the ''S'' rod , let me know , Birchy '' you might want to come also and i'll bring 3 or 4 Meiser rods for ya to try out

dutchie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good dutchie - send me a note when you want to go and I'll see what I can do. Should be good pretty much all week except for Tuesday night.

Got out this afternoon and decided to give the spey another go.. this time I tried throwing a streamer with it. Found it very difficult to say the least!! I would imagine that there are some different types of casts that would make the difference. 'Single spey' wasn't really getting it done for me.

Switched to swinging nymphs later on and that was completely fine.

Got out this afternoon and decided to give the spey another go.. this time I tried throwing a streamer with it. Found it very difficult to say the least!! I would imagine that there are some different types of casts that would make the difference. 'Single spey' wasn't really getting it done for me.

Do yourself a favour and take some lessons from a qualified instructor if you plan on getting into spey casting. Way easier to learn properly from the start than to break out of bad casting habits later on. Yes, I speak from experience.

Sustained anchor casts are usually better for streamers, but it's not just casting - it depends on what type of line you're using, tips, etc. Check if fishtales has Rio's speycasting or the skagitmaster DVD's for rent (or join the hook and hackle club :) ) just to give you an idea of what's out there for setups. There is plenty of spey casting instruction coming up with Southbow, Whistler, and Fishtales holding clinics starting in mid April.

Do yourself a favour and take some lessons from a qualified instructor if you plan on getting into spey casting. Way easier to learn properly from the start than to break out of bad casting habits later on. Yes, I speak from experience.

i'd say your 100% correct on getting out the first few times with someone who can teach you so you don't get into bad habits that will be harder to break from , i paid for some lesson to get started and very well worth the money , don't make much sense to spend all that money on rods & reels and can't get em to do what they were meant to do

my first few times i went with calgarys own '' toolman'' Greg , it was the little things that i learned from him that would of took years to figure out , everything from learning the proper way to hold the running line in your fingers so it rolls off nice when throwing some distance , makes it that much more enjoyable when you put it where you want it ,

i guess it's sorta like golfing , the little things is what really counts ,

i would highly suggest to all to look up Greg as he's dame good and your money will be well spent for starting out , and the best is he won't break your wallet or just be after your money like some do , i'll just leave it at that ,

birchy & cheeler , the doc has got a cold this weekend , we will try a evening later on in the week to get out so you can try some of meiz's rods

[quote name='dutchie' date='Mar 21 2010, 09:54 AM' post='117700'

i would highly suggest to all to look up Greg as he's dame good and your money will be well spent for starting out , and the best is he won't break your wallet or just be after your money like some do , i'll just leave it at that ,

Definately get some lessons. From a professional that has been doing it for more than a couple of years. There are alot of good casting instructors that do it for a living that do classes here in the spring. I suggest one of those. check to see who is certified.

PK

Sustained anchor casts are usually better for streamers, but it's not just casting - it depends on what type of line you're using, tips, etc. Check if fishtales has Rio's speycasting or the skagitmaster DVD's for rent (or join the hook and hackle club :) ) just to give you an idea of what's out there for setups. There is plenty of spey casting instruction coming up with Southbow, Whistler, and Fishtales holding clinics starting in mid April.

If the weather holds for us then I am really looking forward to this years Spey casting demo and clinics during the week-end of April 16th thru 18th... We will have about a Dozen Set-ups for everyone to play with and try .And yes there will be rod styles from Super light to Traditional...Beulah<Snowbee<Hardy and more. I am also going to have One of the Tigereye Maxwell 15' rods there for you all to see where it was and where we have come...I have to say that I have been fishing the 12'6" Beulah Platinum #6 lately with their Tonic line and WOW...super smooth and definitely a rod set-up I should have been using much sooner. Here on the Island we sort of get into a mind set of BIG SKAGIT AND HEAVY TIPS WITH HONKER FLIES>>>>but I am now recognizing that many times we are actually missing the boat.

SO,I am looking forward to discussions about all of this when we are at South Bow Fly and Tackle on the Friday night...make sure you can come by and add your imput

C

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know that there's a most popular rod, but any rod in the 4/5/6 range should do the trick and even a "light" 7 wt. The two-handed rod I use most on the Bow is a 12'6" 5wt Z-Axis with an Airflo Compact Skagit and type 3 and 6 tips which pretty much covers all my streamer fishing. I also pair it with a Compact Scandi to skid stones in the summer. Lots of similar rod setups out there that'll do the same work.

I've been GASing for a full length 5 weight (5126 is at the top of the list) for awhile now. How is it for scandi and in the wind?

Maybe now that the dollar is close to par I can justify the hit to my meager student pocketbook.