Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Spey Rods

CrisD

My 14 foot 9 weight spey is great for salmon/steelhead fishing but just way over gunned for the the Bow.

I was thinking a 12.5 foot 6 or 7 weight would be a better match for the Bow and will help to keep my casting strike ready for a fall trip to the land of Bring Cash.

Which rods seem to be the most popular on the Bow?

Thanks for the replies...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that there's a most popular rod, but any rod in the 4/5/6 range should do the trick and even a "light" 7 wt. The two-handed rod I use most on the Bow is a 12'6" 5wt Z-Axis with an Airflo Compact Skagit and type 3 and 6 tips which pretty much covers all my streamer fishing. I also pair it with a Compact Scandi to skid stones in the summer. Lots of similar rod setups out there that'll do the same work.

My 14 foot 9 weight spey is great for salmon/steelhead fishing but just way over gunned for the the Bow.

I was thinking a 12.5 foot 6 or 7 weight would be a better match for the Bow and will help to keep my casting strike ready for a fall trip to the land of Bring Cash.

Which rods seem to be the most popular on the Bow?

Thanks for the replies...

I echo Marc on the 5126 Z-Axis. I *love* that stick. I also like the Deer Creek TFO 12.6 5 wt.

I got the 5110 switch and really like it. Great for long line nymphing, roll casts triple nymph rigs and mends line beautifully. I haven't found a line that I like for casting bigger streamers, but I hear compact skagit lines do it well. I'm gonna pick up one and give er a go. I would think for the Bow that a 5 weight switch or a spey rod of similar weight would work well.

GLshooter how is that 4/5 beulah? Is it similar to the opti 6wt? Can you chuck big streamers with that or is it mostly used for nymphing?

I used to have the 4/5 Beulah switch and it's totally different from the Opti. The Beulah is more of a medium "traditional" action while the Opti is a faster "European" action. Not saying that one is better than the other, just that they each appeal to a different casting style. I was able to toss decent sized streamers with the Beulah but not anything in the dead bird or small mammal category. Then again I used that rod when I was just starting out with spey casting and using an Elixir line rather than a Tonic, so maybe that made a difference too.

I fished a TFO Deer Creek 5 wt for a few years, nice rod. Have been lucky enough to try most brands out there. The loop opti was impressive along with a few other brands. But I am absolutely in love with My Meiser Highlander 12.5 - 4wt. Wonderful stick with a great range, nymph rigs, swinging streamers and wet flies, and delicate for skid bitches and large dries. The rod handles equally well both Skagit and Scandi shooting heads with a range of 350 to 500. I do tend to enjoy overhead styles the most. Saving for another one.

I fished a TFO Deer Creek 5 wt for a few years, nice rod. Have been lucky enough to try most brands out there. The loop opti was impressive along with a few other brands. But I am absolutely in love with My Meiser Highlander 12.5 - 4wt. Wonderful stick with a great range, nymph rigs, swinging streamers and wet flies, and delicate for skid bitches and large dries. The rod handles equally well both Skagit and Scandi shooting heads with a range of 350 to 500. I do tend to enjoy overhead styles the most. Saving for another one.

You'll have to bring that out to a spey gathering sometime. How does the total rod weight compare to the TFO?

You'll have to bring that out to a spey gathering sometime. How does the total rod weight compare to the TFO?

Much lighter rod, the quality in production and castingis is quite evident the rods are vastly different in quality. You can feel the rod from tip to butt. I love to hit the gatherings when I can. Richard Mason of Bow River Adventures is bringing Bob Meiser with an assortment of rods the first weekend of May, Saturday May 1, 11:00 am for a free gathering if you can make it. Good place to try some sticks.

All of you fishing Opti Switches suck lol I cast one at the FFexpo and holy crap!

GLshooter how is that 4/5 beulah? Is it similar to the opti 6wt? Can you chuck big streamers with that or is it mostly used for nymphing?

I have not cast the Beulah yet....am waiting on a line for it. I would like to use it as mainly a dry fly rod. Headscan sums it up nicely on the rod characteristics. My wife sorta kinda technically owns the Loop.....but I have heard possession is 9/10's of the law...... :unsure:

The very best way to choose a rod of any kind is to try it against other brands. There are a lot of good manufacturers out there. It does break down to personal choice and "feel". Everyone has their favorites. Others push a certain brand if they are somehow attached to it as brand advocates. There is nothing like picking up the rod and casting to make that judgment call.