Fly Fusion Forums

Simms Headwaters Pant Waders

Xplorer

Hi guys,

Thinking about upgrading my waders and moving away from chest waders. I rarely ever wade deep, I really can't think of when I have been to my waist in the last few years. Plus I do alot of walking and exploring so I was thinking the pant sytle of waders might be a better choice and cooler. I used to wet wade from may to oct, but I am getting older(maybe smarter) and wear waders more and more. I have read good things here and online about Simms products and was looking to see if anybody here has used a pair of these waders and what their experiences were.

I welcome any opinions about other pant style waders too, the simms were just the first decent looking ones I had found.

Also, where to buy? There seems to be less places selling this style vs chest waders.

Thanks guys

Not sure if I saw the Headwaters or the G3 pants at West Winds, but they were Simms pants. I know some guys like the pant-style waders and there's nothing wrong with them, but if it were me I'd look at the G3 convertibles. With convertibles if there's that one spot where you need to go a little deeper you just pull the top part up but with pants you don't have that option.

Not sure if I saw the Headwaters or the G3 pants at West Winds, but they were Simms pants. I know some guys like the pant-style waders and there's nothing wrong with them, but if it were me I'd look at the G3 convertibles. With convertibles if there's that one spot where you need to go a little deeper you just pull the top part up but with pants you don't have that option.

Don't know what these convertibles are, but here's what I do. I've got Orvis Clearwater chest waders, but rarely use them as chest waders. I just put on a wading belt, then roll down the top part and clip the shoulder straps together behind my back (kind of like a second wading belt). If I need to go into deep water I just unclip and sling them over my shoulder....... works for me.

Adams

Really!! At the Calgary Expo?! From what I remember, the SIMMS rep dropped the ball and only had one pair of waders displayed and maybe 2 pairs of boots, oh yeah and a SIMMS banner... Pretty crappy booth!!

I am looking for "pant waders" too. Simms has a new style that is just coming out. I saw them at the Fly fishing show. Pretty slick!!

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/g3_guide_pant.html

I have seen the Headwaters pant at Troutfitters

Really!! At the Calgary Expo?! From what I remember, the SIMMS rep dropped the ball and only had one pair of waders displayed and maybe 2 pairs of boots, oh yeah and a SIMMS banner... Pretty crappy booth!!

They were being worn by the dummy (no, not the rep!) on the right side of the booth, you couldn't really see them as the mannequin had a jacket on, so they looked like chest waders from afar.

I agree with your assessment of the booth tho'!!the rep wasn't much help and not very engaging. Maybe that's what happens when you sell the best!!